Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 1:03:46 PM EDT
This will serve as my new back up gun.

The 642 will fill a role between my primary weapon, the GLOCK 19, and my deep concealment pistol, the Kel-Tec P-32. Part of me says I should have bought a Kahr, but something about these little guns just seems "right." Thanks for all of the help and answers to my revolver noob questions.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
This will serve as my new back up gun.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/glocker199/jj.jpg

The 642 will fill a role between my primary weapon, the GLOCK 19, and my deep concealment pistol, the Kel-Tec P-32. Part of me says I should have bought a Kahr, but something about these little guns just seems "right." Thanks for all of the help and answers to my revolver noob questions.

Absolutely a great choice!

Congrats...you've got great ammo, too, to go with that great little revolver!

HH
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations. S&W revolvers are seriously very good products. You will be happy. Charles.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I must say that after shooting it for the first time, I am less than impressed. I was hoping to use the 642 to tranistion my wife to carrying her own gun. There is no way in hell she will shoot this thing more than once. I can make pretty god hits with it out to 10 yards and muzzle flip is not bad but recoil is punishing. I knew the littel J-frames were snappy, but this gun has about twice the felt recoil of a GLOCK 29 shooting full power 10mm.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone know of a replacement grip that provides some padding over the frame without extending the length of the grip a great deal? I really like the feel of the Hogue monogrip, but it makes the but over an inch longer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Take a Look at the Pachmayer "compac" rubber grips

www.lymanproducts.com/pachmayr/index.htm
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess the fact that all recoil is transfered through the thin backstrap is what makes the J-frames bite so bad. A 15oz compact 9mm shooting a similar weight +p round generating almost twice as much muzzle energy is a pleasure to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Practice with 38 SJP. Shoot one cyl of  357, cary 357. Dont abuse yourself ...  it is a back up gun. If you ever need it you will want a howitzer in your hand...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Practice with 38 SJP. Shoot one cyl of  357, cary 357. Dont abuse yourself ...  it is a back up gun. If you ever need it you will want a howitzer in your hand...

The 642 only fires .38spl, but that is similar to how I practiced today. I shot 25 rounds of WWB and 5 rounds of Gold Dot 135 grain +p Short Barrel JHP
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Pachmayr "Compac" grips for J frame:

You can buy them HERE , but they're about $10 cheaper on eBay.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 642 only fires .38spl, but that is similar to how I practiced today. I shot 25 rounds of WWB and 5 rounds of Gold Dot 135 grain +p Short Barrel JHP

I think that the 642 will handle 38 +P also. I checked S&W's website when I got mine and it showed it would.

Though mine is not marked +P.

Off their site:

When you need a lightweight carry revolver, you turn to Smith & Wesson's Small Frame Airweight Series. They are the original aluminum, small frame revolvers chambered in .38 S&W Special +P or .32 H&R Magnum.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that the 642 will handle 38 +P also. I checked S&W's website when I got mine and it showed it would.

Off their site:

When you need a lightweight carry revolver, you turn to Smith & Wesson's Small Frame Airweight Series. They are the original aluminum, small frame revolvers chambered in .38 S&W Special +P or .32 H&R Magnum.

Danny

Yes, it will take +p, but one poster thought it was a .38/.357. That is what I was referring to when I said it only shot .38s.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Off their site:

Danny

Yes, it will take +p, but one poster thought it was a .38/.357. That is what I was referring to when I said it only shot .38s.

Cool Bro, hope you get good service out of it.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Take a Look at the Pachmayer "compac" rubber grips

www.lymanproducts.com/pachmayr/index.htm

Bingo...he's exactly right.

Give them a try...that's a GREAT gun.

HH
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the clarification. I only own a model 29, so my S&W foo is weak.  I do also own a ruger 357 SP101, and it is a whopper with full house loads. If you miss atleast youll get a good mental picture of the bad guy from the flash.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 to HoustonHusker's comment, that is an awesome little peice.

I prefer my M37 though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top