Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 9/20/2009 4:32:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/21/2009 11:46:30 AM EST by MK262]
So, I took my G23 to the range yesterday and fired about 150 rds. While firing, I noticed something I had never seen my gun do before. I'm wondering if it was normal.

While firing, I was squeezing the trigger and slowly letting out to work on my trigger reset.

I noticed about 20% of the time, the slide would not go all the way into battery until the trigger actually reset.

When the trigger reset, you could see the slide move forward about an 1/8 of an inch and lock into battery.

I had never seen this before with my other glocks.

Just wondering if this gun has any issues.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:35:07 PM EST
How much lube do you have on the gun? My slide(s) goes back into battery regardless if I keep the trigger back or not.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:50:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By BobCole:
How much lube do you have on the gun? My slide(s) goes back into battery regardless if I keep the trigger back or not.

And how many rounds on the recoil spring?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:22:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2009 5:23:37 PM EST by MK262]

Enough that it seeps from the slide.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:23:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By FredMan:

And how many rounds on the recoil spring?

Probably some where in the neighborhood of 1000.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:13:59 PM EST
That's wierd. I would have said it sounds like a weak recoil spring, but if you've only got 1,000 rnds on that spring, that doesn't make sense. They recommend that recoil springs on .40s get changed every 3,000 rnds, that's what I do.

I suppose the spring that's in there could be defective, as in too weak. That's been known to happen once in a while. Might go ahead and throw a new one in, they're very cheap. Just to see if that fixes it.

As far as lube, you say you've put in enough that it "seeps" from under the slide. That is too much. Not sure how that could cause this specific problem, but it is too much.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:29:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By ViniVidivici:
That's wierd. I would have said it sounds like a weak recoil spring, but if you've only got 1,000 rnds on that spring, that doesn't make sense. They recommend that recoil springs on .40s get changed every 3,000 rnds, that's what I do.

I suppose the spring that's in there could be defective, as in too weak. That's been known to happen once in a while. Might go ahead and throw a new one in, they're very cheap. Just to see if that fixes it.

As far as lube, you say you've put in enough that it "seeps" from under the slide. That is too much. Not sure how that could cause this specific problem, but it is too much.

It is not to much if he wants the oil to turn into a black gloop. Oil all you need to do is make sure you have a "thin" film of it on contact points in the pistol. (the rails hit it with a drop on both sides and let it run down the length and wipe off excess, on the inside top of the slide where the barrel rubs during the slides travel rearwards spray a dot wipe it on there and remove excess also on the barrel where it rubes you should be able to see the lines on the barrel where the slide opening for the barrel has rubbed normal makes touch that with oil). You do not need lots of oil in your pistol like Vini says just a little otherwise you will be making grease inside your pistol. Plus your Glock is not going to rust the metal tennifer treated and coated with black paint on that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:33:50 PM EST
It is too much oil as Glocks don't need nearly that much. I don't think it has anything at all to do with your issue.

At first glance I'd say that the recoil spring is too weak. Worn or defective. The slide moves forward with the trigger because the trigger bar adds a small amount of forward pressure to the slide.
Before you go and buy a new spring assembly though, do a thorough inspection of your pistol. The rails on the slide, the barrel, the slide, everywhere that there's friction. Look for the obvious like burrs, or raised areas that might be inhibiting free movement of the slide.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:34:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2009 6:37:03 PM EST by MK262]
Originally Posted By ViniVidivici:

Thanks for the advice. In all honesty, I haven't fired the gun in nearly a year, so my round count may be off. Could be closer to 2,000.

I'll change the spring and see what happens.

Thanks to all for the comments.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:38:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By Unicorn:
It is too much oil as Glocks don't need nearly that much. I don't think it has anything at all to do with your issue.

At first glance I'd say that the recoil spring is too weak. Worn or defective. The slide moves forward with the trigger because the trigger bar adds a small amount of forward pressure to the slide.
Before you go and buy a new spring assembly though, do a thorough inspection of your pistol. The rails on the slide, the barrel, the slide, everywhere that there's friction. Look for the obvious like burrs, or raised areas that might be inhibiting free movement of the slide.

I'll give it a thorough inspection while cleaning it tonight. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 12:42:54 AM EST
Sure does sound weird. I'd lose some of that lube and replace the recoil spring (as others have suggested) and try her out. Let us know what happens.
Top Top