Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2003 4:11:51 PM EDT
I have a Webley Mark V pitol in .455 caliber, I need to know what the value range is in US dollars.

It has a rounded "Bird's Head" grip, what appears to be a 5" barrel though it could be longer, I do not have a tape handy to check it. Serial Number is 2046XX
Can anyone help me Identify where this pistol was used and a value? also when it was made woudl be a great help as well

thank y'all
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#1]
No one knows anything about this pistol?  Why am I not surprised, I always have the oddball guns
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 3:35:00 AM EDT
[#2]
The 455s are not all that uncommon. But it's also one that is strictly market driven. It's a nice gun but ammo for it is hard to find. I've seen them sell from around $150.00 up to $300.00 when they are in very good shape.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:43:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I had one that was converted to use .45ACP from moon clips.  It was a cool pistol, and it worked fine, but the sights were a bit tougher to use than, say my Sig P220.  It was one fast reloading revolver though.  Break it open, the empties fly out, the full-moon clip went right in, and you shut the gun.  Faster than a swing out revolver.  About the same speed as a .45 Auto.

As for value, I paid $150 for mine.  That was over five years ago.  I'd say due to the large number of .45ACP conversions made in the post-war years by people buying them as surplus, that original .455 are probably more collector oriented.  It is definately more market driven than anything else.  They made them a good long time, and I don't know enough about variations to tell you what you have, but sites like GunsAmerica.com could probably give you a ballpark.  

It was the standard British sidearm for a very long time.  So they were made in large numbers, as their service time was in the heyday of the Empire.  They reached every corner of the globe because of this.  They are good quality guns, but in the US they aren't valued by non-collectors too much.  I sold mine because I didn't have enough money back in those days, but I'd buy another one these days to play with.

Ross
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#4]
bump
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Webley .455's were british (and commonwealth) army service pistols during the first world war (1914-1918) and prior.  Most of the ones in the US had the cylinders trimmed down so they would shoot .45 in moon clips, so if yours is .455 still, it may have some collector value.  If I'm not mistaken, the UK switched to .38 revolvers for ww2, so it's definitely dated earlier than that.  Interestingly enough, the Webley before ww1 had a particular type of ammo called "Webley Manstopper" rounds which I believe were shaped something like a paintcan with a hollow point. (I suppose this was to match the .303 hollowpoints they used on natives.. Wicked things, and a major infleuence on the "laws of war" prohibiting expanding rounds). The Manstoppers were withdrawn from service due to their OVER-effectiveness and replaced by standard hardball by ww1. Overall, the .455 is usually loaded down pretty weak.  Me, I'd try for a second cylinder cut down to .45 to shoot, but keep the original.
 Great guns though, built like tanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top