Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2009 5:28:16 PM EDT
I picked up a NCSTAR weapon light. It was $20.

Worth it?
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#1]
nope
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Save your green stamps and get a real weapon light like a Streamlight or SureFire.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Save up and get a TLR-1 or TLR-2. Made well and not to expensive. Your light will work......how long it will work is the question. A light that cheap probably won't hold up when the gun is fired.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Save up and get a TLR-1 or TLR-2. Made well and not to expensive. Your light will work......how long it will work is the question. A light that cheap probably won't hold up when the gun is fired.

This. Exactly the answer I would have given. I use a TLR on my Glock and a TLR2 on my entry rifle. Both have been outstanding.

Link Posted: 2/22/2009 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This. Exactly the answer I would have given. I use a TLR on my Glock and a TLR2 on my entry rifle. Both have been outstanding.

Another vote for a TLR-1. Cost me under $90 shipped and I've run close to 1000 rounds through one of my XDs with the TLR attached and have yet to have any problems.

Great light.

The NcStar or whatever it's called is probably not going to hold up nearly as well.

Link Posted: 2/22/2009 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Worth it?

Return immediately if purchased at a retail location. Eat the restocking fee if it's reasonable like 10%. Take the money you get back and put it towards a Streamlight TRL-1 or a SureFire X300. Save up if you don't have the money. No it's not worth it. I don't have first-hand experience with the light but the NCSTAR brand says it all. Even if I got it for free I wouldn't use it on my pistol, because I may need to grab that pistol in the dark to defend my life, family, and friends. I do not value their lives and my life to a $20 toy hobby light. Anyone competent with firearms will agree with me. Guns are serious tools, and they require serious accessories if it is your wish to truly enhance the tool's capabilities.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
nope

This.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#8]
The big problem I've seen with the cheap (usually Chinese) lights is flimsy materials that easily break and poor workmanship/construction. Whatever light you go with, make sure you test it with the ammo you're going to depend on.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Insight XTI Procyon
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#10]
imo: you paid ~$20 too much

NcStar1=sh*t...i dont care WHAT they make, it breaks fast

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Worth it?
If thats all you got to spend then yes. If you're looking for reliability in the most extreme environment Nope. I only put surefire on my weapons. It is lifesaving equipment.

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Return it, and buy a Surefire G2.  They're only like $35 or so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top