Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2005 11:46:11 AM EDT
I've been checking out kimbers new warior. Looks and handles like a real sweet gun, Anybody have any reviews on them? Kind of sounds like they have some finish problems, and what kind of durability do the G10 grips have is it similar to wooden grips?
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#1]
G10 will be about twice as durable as wood.
they are good guns.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Have'nt got to shoot one yet, but I hear that they are great.

Can't wait to get one of my own.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Get one.

They are good.

Been hearing a few complaints about the KIMPRO finish coming off quicker in area's then expected but other then that, any new series I 1911 kimber makes is going to be good.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 400 of the 500 break-in rounds through the weapon and I have experienced no malfunctions.  I’m using all Kimber 7 and 8 round magazines but plan on supplementing them with Wilsons' when I get the chance.  Ammunition has been all factory FMJ’s of various manufacturers.

Muzzle flip is comparable to most 1911’s.  The Surefire X200 reduces the flip a little but it is really negligible.  Factory trigger break is clean with very little reset and acquisition on the Novak sights seems to be better than others I’ve used.

I replaced the factory grips with Gunner Grips.  This was due to the slick feel even when dry which I knew would become more problematic if wet, sweaty, or bloody.  The back strap checkering ate into my right hand palm for the first 200 or so rounds but I've started to build a callus so that is no longer an issue.

Shot groups are better than I have ever been capable.  I can’t decide if this is directly due to the quality of the weapon or the new stance I’ve been using of late (modern isosceles).  I do feel confident that I am not anywhere near the accuracy capability of the Warrior.

The biggest problem I’ve had was finding a holster.  However, this was resolved by the discovery of Blade Tech Industries.

As far as the finish goes, I haven't had any difficulty.  I can't tell you specifically how many times I've drawn and reholstered the weapon while drilling both at the range and at home, but I don't see any wear marks beginning to develop.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to let me know if you have any specific questions.

E-95
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm more than a little disappointed in mine. I got it last week and upon detail stripping it I'm loosing faith in the Kimber QA. Most disturbing is the FOUR dings on the frame rail! Is this how they "fit" slides and frames now?

Here is a photo:

Also, the disconnector looked really shabby. The front surface that mates with the sear has a very rough finish that looks like someone flattened it on a belt sander. I got a Compact SS II about a year ago that had a really dinged up sear/hammer. Since then I've replaced the ignition components in all of my Kimbers with the C&S parts. That was my plan from the start on this gun too, but looking at this kind of stuff in a brand new Kimber really makes me wonder how much longer Kimber can continue to let quality slide and keep a good reputation.

The finish is a little thin at the front of the slide, the trigger has a lot of creep, and the grips look like Mr. Peanut but I was planning on replacing most of the internal components anyway. I'm just really cramped about the frame/slide fitting.

I haven't even fired it yet, maybe I should enter the 'Dennis Zone' and send the thing back to Kimber to see what they say about it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently bought a Warrior. I love it. It is not a handmade Wilson with impecable detailing, but it is a really nice peice for a facotry product. I use Wilson Combat mags which are a big plus. Except for the mags I've left the Warrior stock. I have a trueglo front sight and bomar rear sight on order which I will probably not use. I'm more inclined now to keep it just as it came from the factory. It has tight shot groups over the now 400 rounds and has no ftf or fte. Feels good in hand, too. It is the only 1911 I have. I will be good company for the Rob Leatham custom Springfield Armory 1911 I want to buy next.
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 6:16:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I just recieved 17 Kimbers in my shop. I have inspected 14 of them and not found any cosemetic problems.
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just recieved 17 Kimbers in my shop. I have inspected 14 of them and not found any cosemetic problems.

So, what do you think Kimber is going to do for me if I send it to them? Not being a smart ass, I just assume you have a better feel for how this would be handled by the factory.
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Bottom line is it worth the price and can anyone offer a comparison vs the TLE/RL II. Thanks in advance

RC
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I have over 500 rounds thru my TLE/RL with no malfunctions, and I love it!  I replaced the factory grips eith coyote Gunners, and I only use Wilson 47D mags.  I think the TLE/RL is awesome!  BTW, check out Sidearmor holster for railed Kimbers.  I love mine.

Link Posted: 5/7/2005 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I put 100 rounds out of a new TLE/RL  this afternoon.  Flawless, It was one of the two I have. Now I only have one in the shop now.  It is a fine weapon. If I could only keep my hand out of the Cookie Jar !
If your Kimber is not running right and it is not your fault (crap ammo) send it to Kimber. They are tuned fine and do not like low octane fuel. If you are in Vegas then come "visit" some.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#12]
StingerHP's review is very good:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=31&t=17386&page=1𣋟

and Debo has another good review here:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=31&t=16286
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:03:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The biggest problem I’ve had was finding a holster.  However, this was resolved by the discovery of Blade Tech Industries.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=38037

E-95

I have shot approximately 250 FMJ's through my Warrior so far and I am really impressed by the accuracy.   One hole groups at 3 & 7 yards that were1-3/4' max.  At 15 and 25 yards all eight shots were within 2" to 2-3/4"

Mine is also set up with the black gunner grips and Surefire X200.  I originally planned on getting the Insight M6X light/laser but it had some play on the rail while mounted.  So I chose the Sure fire.  After changing the mount on the X200 it fit very nicely.

I have been thinking of getting the Sidearmor holster, or a Rusty Sherrick leather holster .........but after looking at the Blade Tech Ind., I'm not sure what I will buy.

E-95, is the retention strap on your Blade Tech a snap thumb-break or does it slide forward similar to Safariland's retention system?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

E-95

I have shot approximately 250 FMJ's through my Warrior so far and I am really impressed by the accuracy.   One hole groups at 3 & 7 yards that were1-3/4' max.  At 15 and 25 yards all eight shots were within 2" to 2-3/4"

Mine is also set up with the black gunner grips and Surefire X200.  I originally planned on getting the Insight M6X light/laser but it had some play on the rail while mounted.  So I chose the Sure fire.  After changing the mount on the X200 it fit very nicely.

I have been thinking of getting the Sidearmor holster, or a Rusty Sherrick leather holster .........but after looking at the Blade Tech Ind., I'm not sure what I will buy.

E-95, is the retention strap on your Blade Tech a snap thumb-break or does it slide forward similar to Safariland's retention system?

Thanks in advance.

It has a thumbreak but can be adjusted utilizing the screws to act as level 1 retention.  The level 2 strap is a thick rubber-like material that must to have a little stretch to snap across the back of the slide in condition 1.  As a result, the weapon is very secure with the added compression of the rubber strap.

The only problem I've had with the thumbreak is that it is a little short for my liking.  I found that my thumb tended to get fouled up between the hammer and the thumbreak during the draw.  However, a little practice and slight change in how I've historically utilized the thumbreak has mostly resolved that issue.

E-95
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top