Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/4/2010 3:22:53 PM EDT
Hey everyone. I handled a 1911 the other day and I fell in love with it. I'm looking to get a 1911 but I'm having a tough idea where to start. I'm on a little bit of a budget right now, and am looking for one that would mostly be used for just fun shooting and possibly home defense. I already carry a springfield xd subcompact 9mm so I'm not really looking to use it as a carry gun, but it could be a possibility. I had a few questions, however, before I bought my first one.

First, since it'd mostly be just a range gun, and one I'd like to work on and possibly upgrade, would it be wise to just get a cheaper one like the rock island armory 1911 (i think that's what it is called) and get some addons and upgrade that as I get money, or should I just save up a lot of money and get a good one to begin with? Secondly, since I already am shooting a 9mm should I get a 9mm 1911 to stick with the same ammo, or is .45 basically required for a 1911 (the ammo is super expensive around me it seems at the local gun shop!) Third, stainless, blued, parkerized? Does it matter at all, or is it just mostly for looks?

Sorry for all the questions. I never really experienced the 1911 until a few days ago and now I'm starting to become obsessed. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get some answers and I'm really just looking for input on everything. I'd like to spend between $450-600 on it if possible, but understand if it's not worth getting one that cheap like the RIA model. If that is too cheap, how much should I look forward to spending on an initial investment for one that I'd be willing to upgrade as the paychecks roll in?

Thanks again for any and all help, I appreciate all of it, and I soon look forward to owning my first one!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:28:36 PM EDT
Get a plain old vanilla 1911 like a Rock Island, Springfield, or even an Auto-Ordnance.
Bubbatize to your hearts content without ARF'ing up a $1000 1911.
You can break it down to see how it works and not worry about it. Have fun learning.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:35:04 PM EDT
That's another interesting point. Since I've just recently purchased my first pistol, I'm not very familiar with my firearm besides fieldstripping it...i'd like a firearm that i won't be scared of taking apart and really learning how it works.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:48:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2010 3:53:32 PM EDT by 68_Mustang]
Rock Island is a decent pistol and it would be well within your budget. The RIA is a great range gun. A RIA tactical has all the features that most people upgrade on their pistols, and is still under $500.

If I had to recommend one pistol, I would recommend getting a Springfield Armory pistol (any model that falls in your budget range).

Any of the finishes you mentioned are good for a 1911. I like a good Parked gun myself, but also own a SS model.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:11:41 AM EDT
RIA Tatical is a great pistol,it is still my first and only 1911.

Stone
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:33:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2010 12:57:23 PM EDT by Gatorhunt]
My Para was fun to learn with (and make mistakes with) and it wasn't a bad gun to start with but it required way more internal work than I had planned on doing to make it function the way I wanted and do it reliably.

My Para before.

And after

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:49:10 PM EDT
Get a used mid grade 1911 like a S&W 1911PD or a mid grade Para, Springer etc. Get something with a beaver tail and good sights. You will be happy you did later. My S&W 1911PD was 700 new. So you should be able to find one around 550 used.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:35:37 PM EDT
i have seen preowned Kimber custom or Springfield Loaded 1911s in that range.
Top Top