Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2003 3:51:01 PM EDT
Can anyone comment on the Walther
P99?  I understand that at one time they had some feed problems that were traced to bad magazines.  This pistol intrests me, but
I know little about it.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Can anyone comment on the Walther
P99?  I understand that at one time they had some feed problems that were traced to bad magazines.  This pistol intrests me, but
I know little about it.  Thanks in advance.

Yes.  They are great guns.  I own a P99 .40 with the Titanium slide.  You are correct about early feed problems. It was mag. related which they have straightened out. Make sure the gun you buy comes with blue followers. This indicates the newer mags.  It is very accurate and dependable.  I like the feel of the grip.  The trigger pull will take some time to get used to. Once you do, you will like it.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an all German P99 in .40 and use the mags with the older orange followers and have no problems, never a jam or anything! Trigger is very good for a polymer pistol. Fits like a glove. Triger works just like a DA/SA pistol anywhere else.

I will buy the 9mm version later. Its a strong buy. Just get an all German one if poss, dealers will try and tell you the smiths are just as good,and they may be, but I just like having my gun all one make. Look for little tiny Eagles crests on all the parts if German.

SorryOciffer

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have gotten a chance to try a couple of them and found each one to be accurate and reliable. If you can find a way to try one first, I would suggest doing that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#4]
How difficult was it to get use to the different type of mag release???
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I took to the new style release like a fish to water. Very easy to manipulate in a hurry and requires (for me) no change in grip unlike many of the traditional push button type. Also, something just pushing against it wont release your mag on accident and it is quite snag free.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The mag release is the only thing I don't like on the P99. I like how it works, similar to USP, but it's very small and has a strong spring. My usp I could push with strong hand, middle finger and drop the mag. With P99 I have to use weak hand or turn the gun sideways and use strong hand thumb once in a while. This is another thing I'm hoping "breaks in." A little bit wider button or a weaker spring would be nice, imo.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a P99 QA in 40S&W and it is great.  After some Keisler bargain ammo problems it ran fine.  Was going to get rid of it until I ran a box of Fiocchi through it without a hitch.  The hand fit for me is perfect for a double stack.  Had a Sig P228 which was too blocky but this Walther is a good replacement.  Only thing I I would change is the rear dot sight.  Prefer the Sig style over the stock Walther
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top