Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2003 9:10:47 PM EDT
Just wondering if anyone has gotten their hands on one and how did you like it?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi sk1911.  I've had my P99 for about 10months now and about 1500 rnds.  It's been flawless and I shoot it better faster than anything I've had my hands on.  This is partly due t the 3 different size backstraps that let you tune the pistol to shoot poi to your poa.  And off the bench it is as accurate as the best of the 4" bbl pistols.
 Carrys CCW iwb as good as my Glock19, excellent all metal full caps mags are cheaper. The plastic adj sights are fairly sturdy and have held zero fromday one.  Its tenifer treated like the Glocks an seems to have a preaty tough top coating.  THE upper strips like the Glocks. As of now the lower is preaty easy to soak an clean, but disassembly is something left to th factory, kinda like the SA XD.  But knowing gun owners that will change preaty soon.
 The trigger is kinda rough at new but 3-500 rnds and they smoothout preaty nice.  I like the DA trigger for carry better than the Glock but the SA trigger isn't quite as good as the SA XD.
 Aftermarket parts are growing more all the time.  Very few shooters who put some rnds through this pistol don't like em. The ballence is much like the G19 and it's not top heavy like the SA XD. 9mm recoil is a pussy cat and that makes this pistol an all day shooter.  The SA trigger breaks crisp and reset is super quick, and the DA trigger is nice for CCW carry.
 The grip angle isn't as raked as the Glocks but not quite as straight as the 1911s. It's very much like the SA XD.
All in all I feel the P99 is a refined Glock. And with the price cuts they are the same price as the G19/G17s arround here.    
 And S&W will be doing their service if needed, and from what I hear they do a good job quickly.  
 I love shooting my 1911s but I carry the P99 and will be getting another.
 Don't over look this pistol and shoot one if ya get a chance.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:58:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I like all of mine.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm lusting after their new .45acp model. I've shot the 9mm version, I couldn't get used to the bump in the middle of the trigger guard! What dumbass designed that in to it?

Very accurate guns, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Gee Bob, you must have really BIG fingers if that bump bothers you.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#5]
What are the differences between the P99, P99 QA, and the P990?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Mb121-

The standard P-99 trigger is SA/DA.

The P990 is DA only.

The P99 QA (Quick Action) is also DA only.  I've read that Walther has discontinued their P990 line.  The QA looks to be the P990's replacement.  The QA's trigger pull is approximately 2 pounds lighter than the P990 trigger.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Gee Bob, you must have really BIG fingers if that bump bothers you.

I do have big hands but they ain't Andre the Giant hands. That bump just irritated the shit out of me!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:56:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I have owned one since Feb now, and I really like mine. It finds its way onto my hip more often than my pet Berettas do anymore, since it is smaller and lighter. Hicaps are expensive but they are out there, and are worth the money IMHO.

The P99 shoots well and is superbly accurate for a pistol in the same price range as a Glock. The grip on it is far superior to that of a Glock as well, as the slide doesn't bite me.

The trigger is better than most DA autos you will find, and certainly light years better than a Glock's trigger.

I have torture tested it and found it to be a reliable weapon, even muddy with no lube. It just keeps running.

My only complaint is that the grip is a tad slicker than I would like, but that can be fixed rather easily.

The 9mm P99 is a great gun. You should be very happy with one.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had mine since July of 2000.  It's a nice gun and fits my large hands well.  If doing it over again, I'd buy the 9mm vs. the .40 just personal pref.  I like the trigger (but I like Glock triggers too).
It's never jammed or given me a single issue.
AND...it's cool
VF
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm lusting after their new .45acp model. I've shot the 9mm version, I couldn't get used to the bump in the middle of the trigger guard! What dumbass designed that in to it?

Very accurate guns, IMO.

Bob, one of the nice things about polymer frames is the ease with which you can modify them.  I imagine 5 minutes with a dremel or file followed by some clean up polishing and it could be like the bump was never there...
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 3:18:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Those considering the P99 might find this an interesting read, lots of good info here -

Walther P99 FAQ
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I love my P99 40. I have about 500rds through it and the trigger is smooth and predictable. NO problems, no jams. I cant see why a person would want a glock after some trigger time with a P99.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Rumor has it that magazines from a beretta 92fs will function in the P99 with a new notch cut.

Legal because you can still use the magazine in the 92 as well.

Is there any truth to this?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Rumor has it that magazines from a beretta 92fs will function in the P99 with a new notch cut.

You can stick the 92 mag in there and make it work. Is that what you mean by "FUNCTION"?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Well shit...when it comes to capacity...if it will fit and feed reliably, and all it takes a new notch...I have about 7 15 round magazines for my 92, a dremel, and a strong desire to buy a P99.

Beats paying 80 bucks for the real mag...
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:19:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I just looked at a S&W99 .45ACP model yesterday.  It was pretty nice.  It used a double stack mag, but the grip wasn't too big.  Bigger than the 9/40 no doubt, but not terrible.  The gun wasn't that much larger than a 9mm, but big enough to notice.  The brip frame was longer to be sure.  It held ten rounds of .45.  I don't know if the mags are compatible or even close to anything else out there like an HK or Para-ord.

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'm not a lawyer. The interpretation seems to be that you can use another mag in a different gun IF the modification you make does not make it impossible to use that mag in the original gun.

Take that FWIW...
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I have had a Walther P99 in .40S&W for about a year and a half. I purchased one 12rd hi-cap with it.

I like the feel and the balance of the gun. The grip can actually be quite small for a double stack handgun. With the smallest backstrap, it is a great full-size weapon for a woman to shoot.
The comfort range with the backstrap options is a plus. I use the med. backstrap.

The SA/DA trigger is very exceptable. The travel is to be expected. It is certainly better than any Glock I have shot.

From at rest, I usually bump the slide back a tad to kick it into SA mode. Only a tiny movement of the slide is needed and the firearm will go back into battery no problem. That is a neat option for a non-hammered (striker pin) SA/DA pistol.

Also, I shoot very well with this pistol. Given the long travel and the ~4" barrel, it is pretty damn accurate!!

It is comfortable to carry and easy to conceal for a larger hangun. It is quiet ( I have a .45 that sounds like a windchime) to carry and handle.

The magazines are very easy to load and seem well designed.

Gripes:

The slide release interferes with my right thumb, it is in a bad position. The release extends too low and is too far back on the pistol.

The pistol only reliably feeds top quality ammo. It will FTF with cheap FMJ .40 practice ammo. It does not like that traditional .40S&W steep bullet envelope. Personal Defense labeled ammo seems to work.
It will not function reliably when dirty. The internals of the pistol have a few tiny springs exposed. The trigger mechanism is largely exposed to the mag well. I do not think the pistol is fit as a combat weapon. I do not think the P99 is anywhere near Glock reliability (and I dont even like Glocks).

The factory (non nite site) sites are very dark.  I wish I would have spent the extra money for the nite sites.

In conclusion:

I also wish I would have purchased the 9mm. I believe the 9mm feeds better and P89 Hi-caps can be used.
It is a great CCW weapon although not my most trusted.

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#20]
 My wife pestered the $h!t out of me to buy her one. he
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
.45 model?!?

where can I check this out on the web and when can I expect to see it in my local gun shop?

S&W makes a .45acp model, I had one shown to me by the S&W rep. I'm hoping for a compact version like their 9mm & .40S&W as well.

I think he said late summer delivery. Dunno about the Walther version.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The pistol only reliably feeds top quality ammo. It will FTF with cheap FMJ .40 practice ammo. It does not like that traditional .40S&W steep bullet envelope. Personal Defense labeled ammo seems to work.
It will not function reliably when dirty. The internals of the pistol have a few tiny springs exposed. The trigger mechanism is largely exposed to the mag well. I do not think the pistol is fit as a combat weapon. I do not think the P99 is anywhere near Glock reliability (and I dont even like Glocks).

Something is wrong with the gun.  They are every bit as reliable as a Glock.  We do extensive torture testing on numerous handguns and only two ever past without a malfunction, the MK23 and P99.  The later went through four thousand rounds of shooting in sand, mud, snow, frozen, and under water, without being cleaned and without a single malfunction, before we gave up.  Every one we have tested will eat ANYTHING you feed them.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:10:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I love the P99. The first time I shot it I took a 1911 Kimber, USP 45, and a Sig 226. I had used the other guns previously, but still hit the targets much better with the P99.

Quoted:

Find info in this thread: Walther P99 hi-cap mag info * pics *

I got some of the Asian contract 92f mags, and love them for range mags. It doesn't look pretty, because the mag hangs below the grip a half inch or so, but they work great.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Something is wrong with the gun.  They are every bit as reliable as a Glock.  We do extensive torture testing on numerous handguns and only two ever past without a malfunction, the MK23 and P99.  The later went through four thousand rounds of shooting in sand, mud, snow, frozen, and under water, without being cleaned and without a single malfunction, before we gave up.  Every one we have tested will eat ANYTHING you feed them.  YMMV.

Wanna work on it??

Did you test the .40 or only the 9mm?
Not as many complaints with the 9mm.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I have the 40 and have ONLY shot the Wal-Mart special crap and in some 400rds to date have had ZERO malfunctions of ANY kind. I have so far ZERO concerns about the weapon.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wanna work on it??
heNot as many complaints with the 9mm.

Both and no problems.  You probably don't want me to "fix" it, however if you want we'll take a look at it.  Now if you want it fixed send it back to SW and the'll take care of you.  I blew a personal one up last year(P99 40SW) 'cause of too much powder, like FOUR times too much, and they replaced it free of charge, no questions asked.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#27]
quote]

Both and no problems.  You probably don't want me to "fix" it, however if you want we'll take a look at it.  Now if you want it fixed send it back to SW and the'll take care of you.  I blew a personal one up last year(P99 40SW) 'cause of too much powder, like FOUR times too much, and they replaced it free of charge, no questions asked.

THAT'S customer service!! Lets see glock do that for a customer.
SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:36:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Well I'm about to get a Military Walther P99 and am having probs choosing which caliber to get.  From what I've read here it is an accurate and highly reliable sidearm.  But which caliber do you think is better for general purpose(target, backpacking, and if the unthinkable happens defensive)?  I know that the 9mm is cheaper but is it more accurate than the .40s&w.  One thing I do like about the 9mm is all those accessories like the threaded barrel and the fact that it can hold more rounds than the .40s&w.  So I was just wondering on your thoughts as to which caliber would suit me better.  BTW I was looking toward a Glock until I discovered the glorious P99.  

Thanks for the Help

Also I had a little thought and it is would one be able to mount the Trijicon Reflex on the P99's Tactical mount accessory and be able to use it properly, so the setup with the tac mount would be a Reflex on top and an M6 on the bottom.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Well I'm about to get a Military Walther P99 and am having probs choosing which caliber to get.  From what I've read here it is an accurate and highly reliable sidearm.  But which caliber do you think is better for general purpose(target, backpacking, and if the unthinkable happens defensive)?  I know that the 9mm is cheaper but is it more accurate than the .40s&w.  One thing I do like about the 9mm is all those accessories like the threaded barrel and the fact that it can hold more rounds than the .40s&w.  So I was just wondering on your thoughts as to which caliber would suit me better.  BTW I was looking toward a Glock until I discovered the glorious P99.  

Thanks for the Help

Also I had a little thought and it is would one be able to mount the Trijicon Reflex on the P99's Tactical mount accessory and be able to use it properly, so the setup with the tac mount would be a Reflex on top and an M6 on the bottom.  

9mm no doubt.  Its not a reliability issue, just kind of wish I had the 9mm.  It is very cheap to shoot, accurate and with the right load has good terminal ballistics.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Well I picked up the Military P99 today and I got it in 9mm.  After reading through technical info and other users insight's on the 9mm I decided it was the way to go for me.  Quick Question though are all of the 9mm P99s made entirely in Germany and then imported by S&W or does S&W put any parts on them after import?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#31]
You made a good choice, my next one will be a 9mm P99. If you dont mind the 1/4" sticking out you can get cheap Beretta mags to fit and feed fine. Needs a new catch made in the mag and it will STILL function fine in the Beretta.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#32]
what size groups are you guys getting at 25 yrds?
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I got my .40 about a month ago and only have about 300rnds through it so far, but it's been 100% reliable with everything from American Eagle ball to Speer's and Cor-Bons.  I love this gun and it's taken it's place beside my Kimber and HK USP and Glock 27 as one of my favorite pistols.  Be warned, if you handle one you will probably buy it.  Mine cost $527 plus tax locally.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:11:53 AM EDT
[#34]
For groupings I'm getting about 3in on an average at 30yds though a couple of groups look like I used a shotgun(I hate adjusting the damn sights the first time).  I'm new to handguns so I don't know if this is good or really bad.  Plus my gun isn't broken in quite yet.  However one of the shots amazed me, it hit dead center on a 50ft rifle target and I was at 30yds with a handgun.  So thats just my shots and I don't know where they stand as accuracy goes.  

Whats front post for the walther p99 9mm should be used for shooting at 25yds?, I have post #4 on right now, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Hello, I may be a little late coming in here about the P99 but I own one in .40 with the Titanium coated slide. I was a bit concerned at first with the trigger travel and feel. When one has shot CZ's, Hipowers and 1911's, it is a very different trigger pull on the P99. Once I got used to it though, I like the gun very much.
I would highly recommend this weapon to anyone.
Anyway, I just signed up to the AR15 discusion board and I enjoy taking guns with everyone.
See ya at the range.....thedr
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Well I picked up the Military P99 today and I got it in 9mm.  After reading through technical info and other users insight's on the 9mm I decided it was the way to go for me.  Quick Question though are all of the 9mm P99s made entirely in Germany and then imported by S&W or does S&W put any parts on them after import?

Look for a little Eagle above a capital N on the rear right side of the slide, on the bbl and on the right side front just under the accessory rail.  Those indicat German manufacture.  Mine is the military .40 and has all of Eagle over N's on it.  The import mark is on the right front of the slide and will probably say Smith and Wesson.  That is the importer, not the manufacturer.  As far as I know all frames are made in Germany.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I have two P99's, both 9mm. One has over 5k through it the other has about 1500 through it. I have never had a malf with either pistol, no matter what ammo I used. I would recommend the P99 to anyone looking for a polymer pistol, it is the best of the breed IMO. I trust the P99 enough to use it as my carry weaopn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top