Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 9:42:21 PM EDT
Looking at a P5 9mm any one with personal  experience? what would be a fair price for exellent condition how is accuracy and would it make a good carry?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:46:32 AM EDT
[#1]
It's big for it's capacity but the P5 is a wonderful pistol with a very smooth trigger pulls.  It's also very reliable.  I've seen them typically go for about $900 for a really good one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Looking at a P5 9mm any one with personal  experience? what would be a fair price for exellent condition how is accuracy and would it make a good carry?

I have owned a Walther P5 for several years and it remains my favorite ccw.  Surplus P5s can be purchased for $429 from SOG www.southernohiogun.com/surplushandguns.html + shipping & transfer fee  to your FFL dealer.  Otherwise, I have seen them on GunsAmerica.com for $600 - $900.

Yes, the P5 is known for its accuracy and it makes a good carry pistol.  The only downside is finding extra magazines and holsters.  ProMag makes mags for the P5 and I have purchased several from 44mag.com at a really good price.  I had to pay a premium for my holster www.carlwalther.com/holsters.htm simply because (to my knowlwedge) nobody stocks P5 holsters and I needed a left-handed version.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#3]
The Walther P5 is a great gun, and has a little history with it.

When the German police sent out the contract for a new handgun they said it had to hold at least 8 rounds, must be 9mm, and had to be a certain size.

Walther changed the P38 into the P5
HK built the P7
SIG built the P225

What is interesting is that all three handguns were so well liked Germany adopted all three and allow the LEOs to choose which handgun they liked.

The Walther P5 is a great handgun, my father bought his for $600 NIB before SOG was importing them.  It shoots great and ejects shells to the left. My Dad who is left handed likes that feature.

He saw a used one for sale at a gun show last weekend for $350.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

...and he bought it and now wants to sell it to me at cost?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...and he bought it and now wants to sell it to me at cost?

No, and I was mad that he did not buy it. He said that it had holster wear and did not look as nice has he 1981 P5.

But he did get the guy's business card I can send the info to you.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to all replies, while I was waiting for a response I was reading some reviews some where and it was mentioned that there was some feeding problems with hollow points other than that it was well praised, I am debating on one of the surplus ones I carry a P220 now but with the summer coming it seems that the P5 would make a better package for light clothing and or a fanny pack all my other 9mms are large full size,so I'll be thinking about it real hard this weekend.

Quote:

When it came to reliability, I experienced no further malfunctions with the P88. During the combat evaluation, it digested all of the ammunition, including the Remington 147-grain JHP subsonics. The two malfunctions experienced during the accuracy evaluation may have been caused by the bottom of the slide coming in contact with my Bench master rest.

The P5 Compact was completely reliable with the ammunition that had roundnose bullets, like the Federal 124-grain FMC, Remington 115-grain FMC and Remington 115-grain JHP ammunition. The rest of the ammunition had truncated cone-shaped bullets, and these consistently got stuck on the feed ramp during firing. Editor Jan Libourel had exactly the same problem when he shot the pistol.

www.remtek.com/arms/walther/model/p5c/index.htm
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
...with the summer coming it seems that the P5 would make a better package for light clothing and or a fanny pack all my other 9mms are large full size,so I'll be thinking about it real hard this weekend.

Fritz,  the P5 isn't as small as you might think.  I consider it a midsize pistol and it is comparible to my CZ-75 Compact.  The P5 is a great pistol and mine has performed flawlessly with all types of ammo including HP, FMJ, and the cheap Wolf stuff.  If you do buy a surplus P5 and do not like it, you should be able to sell it at cost.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I also bought a NIB P5 a couple years ago on closeout.  They are beautiful pistols.  The bluing and machining quality of the slide are superb.  The ergonomics are great.  The SOG imports for $430 seem like a hell of a deal.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Isn't the P5 the one that ejects to the left??????????
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...with the summer coming it seems that the P5 would make a better package for light clothing and or a fanny pack all my other 9mms are large full size,so I'll be thinking about it real hard this weekend.

Fritz,  the P5 isn't as small as you might think.  I consider it a midsize pistol and it is comparible to my CZ-75 Compact.  The P5 is a great pistol and mine has performed flawlessly with all types of ammo including HP, FMJ, and the cheap Wolf stuff.  If you do buy a surplus P5 and do not like it, you should be able to sell it at cost.

CavalryJim good point either way I should be able to get 430 for it but probably keep it, I love the look of it it looks like a good fit and shape and ergonomics, I am going to go to next weeks gun show in my area and try to find one to look at and if I like it I'll order it from SOG. what the heck
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yep.

And I think the P38 ejects to the left too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yep....and I just happen to be left-handed.  It's alot of fun at the range to throw brass back at the person on your left.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

No, I have a P1 & it doesn't do that.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

The P38 and P1 have extractors on the left side, the Walther P5 has the extractor on the left. When Walther made the P5 they just redesigned the P38. When they went with a closed slide (hope that is term) like the PP and PPK, the P5 slide had to have shells eject to the left.

The P38 and P1s slides are open and true,  the shells do not all eject to the left, but they will eject to the the left more than the right because of the extractor. And if you change the slide the all will eject to the left.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

The P38 and P1 have extractors on the left side, the Walther P5 has the extractor on the left. When Walther made the P5 they just redesigned the P38. When they went with a closed slide (hope that is term) like the PP and PPK, the P5 slide had to have shells eject to the left.

The P38 and P1s slides are open and true,  the shells do not all eject to the left, but they will eject to the the left more than the right because of the extractor. And if you change the slide the all will eject to the left.

Well the extractors are indeed on the left,but the ejectors are on the right(which cause them to eject the shell to the left!!

The best change was the non-removable dust cover(that might be the closed slide you speak of)!

But the P-1 does indeed eject to the left!!

bob
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a P5 Compact and it is very accurate I was very suppressed with the trigger pull (I am kind of spoiled now) the best trigger pull out there I have ever shot. (that is stock) The only problem I have had is that some times it dose not feed certain ammo like Remington UMC which granted is cheep ammo but it will not cycle there are others to but I cant remember there names.

If you do get one make sure you have good ammo and don’t be and idiot like me and buy a 250round box that dose not cyclehe
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok so I went to a gun show today and some guy there was browsing the same table I was, told me that he saw a P5 at Cabelas and it was at the gun library and they put it for sale at 475.00, well guess what I drove 1 1/2 hours to Cabellas and traded a P232 that I never really shot much

got 250.00 for the Sig, I know I lost good but walked out the door for 243.00 with the P5

Looks pretty good some blue is worn on the right side polished section above the Interarms name, just long thin streak of bare metal on or near the edge the rest is very good all the blue is there with very very tiny spot or two, no scratches just looks like holster wear, the rails look like no blue was rubbed off and the ramp only has two tiny spots of blue rubbed off where it feeds

the bore looks good, my question is how can I tell when it was made, is there a way to tell where it came from (private or police surplus or both) any thing I should look for in terms of ware there is about the same tolerance as my new P220 Sig in the slide to frame fit with the P5 being just slightly more loose very slight also the down side was only one mag no manual or case but I got to see what I was buying in person

I will post a range report later.

PS: this has the heel magazine release
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top