Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/14/2006 12:12:37 PM EDT
I buy plinking ammo there but I've never even considered buying HD ammo. Do they have any and how is the price? Specifically, I'm looking for 9mm and 12 ga.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:31:52 PM EDT
Actually, Wal Mart isn't a horrible place to buy HD ammo. The sell Winchester white box 115, 124? and 147grn JHP's. I have around 500 rounds of the 147grn JHP's that I use for practice and hunting. IIRC, the bullet is the same one used in the Silvertip. It expands as designed, and quite reliably. These are probably the best and most effective "cheap" defensive HP. While they are certainly effective and they expand reliably, I don't plan on using them instead of my BH Gold Dots. They also sell Remington 115grn JHP's for 13.00 for 100 rounds, which is really fair, especially for a JHP. These expand as designed, but aren't as reliable as the Winchester bullets.
Expansion isn't as consistant and in .45 ACP I have yet to see one expand, but they are cheap and in 9mm they make a great practice/coon hunting round. This wouldn't be a bad round to stockpile just in case as even an inconsistant HP is better than a FMJ. I prefer the WWB 147grn JHP for this reason, but the Remington is cheaeper. THe WWB JHP's are 11.00 for 50 rounds.

For 12 gauge, it probably depends on where you live but they should have buck and slugs. Wal Marts around here have 15 rounds of Winchester 00 buckshot for 6.50 and 15 Winchester 1 oz slugs for the same, or less. They also sell 2 3/4 Federal 00 Buckshot 3.00 for 5 shells. Everytime I go, I multiple boxes of the value pack of slugs/buckshot as well as Winchester .223 55grn FMJs.
For slugs/buckshot, its an excellent deal. It patterns well and the slugs are accurate. I haven't been able to find a better deal anywhere and I have bought hundreds of rounds of both. Wal Mart is a great place to buy ammo, if you can get past the degenerates working there who harass you.
Price wise, they are as good as anyone else, and buy the time you figure in shipping, they are usually better or even for practice ammo. I shoot WWB 100 round value packs of 9mm for practice ammo and 500 or 1000 rounds of this stuff is as cheap as anything else and its quality ammo.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:30:40 PM EDT
The 9mm Winchester Personal Protection Load w/115 JHP delivers good penetration and expansion. It shoots beautifully in my Glocks. At $10.00 per 50 round box I can afford to shoot my 11 carry magazines dry every 90 days. I have absolute confidence that it is reliable and accurate. You can not put a price on confidence.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:15:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 8:43:07 PM EDT by VBC]
Personally, I have had better luck with Federal buckshot loads over Winchester. Traditionally, they seem to hold a better, more even pattern than the Winchester offerings. That's just based on personal experience hunting with them for the last 20 years.

As far as the 9mm Winchester white box Personal Protection, the 115 gr and 147 gr are both fine, with a personal preference to the 147 grainer, just because I'm in the heavier bullet is better crowd. If the 115 gr was loaded just a tad hotter (like 100 fps more) I would like it even better. I've found they're fairly controlled muzzle flash and consistent in accuracy and that's really what counts. The differences in handgun bullets that people blow so much wind arguing about are really almost trivial if you get them in the right place reliably.

Some say the 147 grainers almost rival the top dawg Ranger RA9T law enforcement only ammo. You could certainly do worse.

The price is about $11 a box of 50 for the stuff here.

Top Top