Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 7/4/2012 9:04:57 AM EDT
I found this yesterday while at a local Mesquite, TX pawnshop.  Appears all original, 1945 production, parkerizing at about 90%, super clean, crisp lettering, couldn't pass it up as I've been searching for a WWII era 1911 for a couple years.  Out the door price, $1,135.00.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:08:25 AM EDT
Looks reparked to me, and you will need to lose the hex head grip screws.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:33:48 AM EDT
Yeah, it may have been reparked at some point, and the screws will be replaced this week.  I have some standard screws around here somewhere.   The mag I believe is WWII era, marked with an "R" on the inside base.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:37:06 AM EDT
R marked mag is correct. Please don't think I was knocking the gun in my first post. Just making you aware if you didn't already know.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 12:44:15 PM EDT
Look for arsenal code on other side near s/n.  Arsenal refinished are more valuable/collectable,  although not all arsenal jobs are stamped.

AA - Augusta, RIA - Rock Island, etc

Barrel should be HS  (High Standard). Starting '44 F (Flannery) barrels were also used in production guns, field service replacement only before '44.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 12:57:21 PM EDT
Nice pick up, but I don't think that trigger lock is original
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:17:57 PM EDT
if the feedramp is parked it's not an orginal also look for the crossed cannons arsenal mark not present arsenal rebuild. Still a sweet pistol
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:58:24 PM EDT
2.3-2.4 Mil SN#?  Nice. Is the parking a bit off between the slide and frame? Seems to be reasonably common at the serial number range.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:03:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/4/2012 8:04:37 PM EDT by Pawdog]
Serial # 244XXXX,  barrel is High Standard, and looking closer at the finish, it appears not to have been re-parked. Photo was taken with an HTC cell phone, so it ain't the best shot.  It does have the crossed cannon emblem also.  The same pawnshop has a Springfield Armory Champion I can get for around $500.00, but I already have six 1911's, Colts, RIA, Magnum Research, Taurus, and really didn't "need" another or I'd buy it too.

Thanks for the feedback and comments.  With the Remington-Rand, I think I've bought my last 1911 model for my gun collection.   Looking for a WWII M1 carbine now, Inland, Rockola, Winchester, etc.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:48:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/5/2012 4:00:39 AM EDT by Evil_Ed]
Not sure that hammer is original, either...

Edit - when I get home I'll compare it to my RR, I think the hammer is from a later S70 but I'm not %100 sure.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:41:09 AM EDT
S/N, 'P' proof marks, ordinance (crossed cannons) and inspectors mark (FJA), were all applied after finish.  You should see bare displaced metal
around these stamps.  Safety and slide stop are normally Du-Lite (darker, non-phosphate finish).  

Nice pistol.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:34:00 AM EDT
I've checked my 5 WWII-era 1911A1s and one of them has a post-war replacement hammer (not blued) which matches the profile of that hammer, with the huge bevel on the top of the face (the other WWII-issue hammers had a much smaller top bevel)...but, the rear edge on all of them are rounded both vertically and horizontally, i.e. the rear edge does not have any sharp edges, either top/bottom or left/right.

S70 hammers were basically ground flat...to me, the hammer in that photo, looks flat on the rear
Top Top