Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 11:41:23 AM EDT
Is it safe to shoot Wolf ammo out of a Glock with a stock barrel, or should I just keep reloading my 9MM for plinking purposes? Or should I buy an aftermarket barrel and shoot lead bullets? My current plinking load is 5.7 grains of Unique powder, 115 grain FMJ Star bullet,followed by brass that I have picked up at the range.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I've shot plenty of Wolf in my G19 & G17 with no troubles but I can get WWB and American 115gr FMJ cheaper so I don't see a need to spend more on Wolf.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I have shot some in my G23 with only one issue. After an extended shoot I had an out of battery discharge that locked the barrel up with an empty case. After I got home and popped the case out I did a complete diassembly. I then found large amounts of primer sealant that had clogged the firing pin.
I still shoot it, but clean very well afterwards.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for your replies, looks like I'll be ordering some 9MM Wolf on Tue.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
My G19 refused to operate reliably with Wolf: FTF and FTE of every sort. However, a friends G19 had no problems with Wolf, so I gave him my supply of 9mm Wolf.

Also, I had problems with split Wolf casings in my G21. When I did the shooting portion of the CCW class, almost every casing of Wolf was split.

I haven't fired Wolf through my Glocks since.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:16:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I have also had the red primer seal clog the firing pin after 400-500 rounds in a 9mm
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:22:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:46:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I shot a case of it.  I had a little trouble with hard primers.  I posted about it back then, and I seem to be the only one who had this problem.

I would shoot it, if it was cheaper.  But around here I can get CCI blazer for $84/k out the door.... so that is all I shoot.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Why buy a quality gun, and then feed it shit? You don't need to shoot match ammo, but there are  other offerings that are commercially made, SAAMI spec, brass case, which use better quality american powders.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why buy a quality gun, and then feed it shit? You don't need to shoot match ammo, but there are  other offerings that are commercially made, SAAMI spec, brass case, which use better quality american powders.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:20:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Why would you put wolf through your glock when you can go get a 1000 rounds of cci 9mm 115 grain at Academy for 69.00 ?  Dont care what some people say , not one failure in 9k rounds
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:35:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Why would you put wolf through your glock when you can go get a 1000 rounds of cci 9mm 115 grain at Academy for 69.00 ?  Dont care what some people say , not one failure in 9k rounds

1.  Why not?  If they dont have a local Academy, and they can get Wolf for a good price - it is good practice ammo.

2.  CCI blazer IS NOT $69.    It has an everyday low price of $3.86 per box of 50, with no discounts for cases.  That makes it $77.20 plus tax.  That comes to $83.56 at my store, out the door.  And I agree - you should shoot the cheapest stuff you can find, that works decently, for practice ammo in a Glock.  For some people, that might be Wolf.  For others, it is WWB.  And for us, it is CCI Blazer.   Lucky us.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I've never had any luck with Wolf handgun ammo. Some feed in my glocks some don't. Works fine in my AK's though. I find I can't beat the WWB 100 packs at Wally World.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I shoot Wolf in 223. 40S&W, 45, 762x39 and 308! If you can run Wolf at a high speed rate and hit your target. It's all good... With all your extra money you can get some T.A.P for your carry.

I feel that Wolf is one of the best imports around.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1.  Why not?  If they dont have a local Academy, and they can get Wolf for a good price - it is good practice ammo.

2.  CCI blazer IS NOT $69.    It has an everyday low price of $3.86 per box of 50, with no discounts for cases.  That makes it $77.20 plus tax.  That comes to $83.56 at my store, out the door.  And I agree - you should shoot the cheapest stuff you can find, that works decently, for practice ammo in a Glock.  For some people, that might be Wolf.  For others, it is WWB.  And for us, it is CCI Blazer.   Lucky us.  

you need to find what days they are having sales :)
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Which Academy are you shopping at, and when did you get it for $69?  I get their flyers and I have NEVER seen it for less then $3.86 per box.  I have been watching, buying, and shooting CCI Blazer from Academy for the past 4 years.

So - based on $69.... that is $3.45 per box.  Even if you exaggerated, and it was $69.99, that is $3.50 per box.  Is that what you are saying you paid per box, and when was it on sale for that?  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:43:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which Academy are you shopping at, and when did you get it for $69?  I get their flyers and I have NEVER seen it for less then $3.86 per box.  I have been watching, buying, and shooting CCI Blazer from Academy for the past 4 years.

So - based on $69.... that is $3.45 per box.  Even if you exaggerated, and it was $69.99, that is $3.50 per box.  Is that what you are saying you paid per box, and when was it on sale for that?  

My local Academy does not discount ammo. They will from time to time, knock 20% off pistols, but never ammo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:08:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it was about 2 months ago. I had bought it in the past and it seemed a little higher. However i wasnt going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Figured it was a sale
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I just asked this question of a friend who is attending Glock Armorer's school this week. His response was that Glock does NOT recommend the use of Wolf ammo!

End of story . . . I have a case of Wolf 9mm (bought a few years ago) that I'll be selling off at my local gun club.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I just asked this question of a friend who is attending Glock Armorer's school this week. His response was that Glock does NOT recommend the use of Wolf ammo!

End of story . . . I have a case of Wolf 9mm (bought a few years ago) that I'll be selling off at my local gun club.

Of course Glock doesn't recommend it ! The Glock is a quality firearm, so why run cheap, sub-standard ammo through it? Just because someones Glock "eats it all day without a failure", doesn't mean it's good ammo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:06:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course Glock doesn't recommend it ! The Glock is a quality firearm, so why run cheap, sub-standard ammo through it? Just because someones Glock "eats it all day without a failure", doesn't mean it's good ammo.

In some of their literature a few years ago saying that they only reccomended factory ammo to be shot in their pistols. They had a picture of several boxes of commercial ammo, including a box of Wolf. I think it was in the 2003 Annual.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like your friend is blowing smoke, and putting his opinion of Wolf ammo on you, and anyone who asks him, thinking that since he's "Glock Armorer", they'll listen.

Maybe someone should email Glock about it?  

Check out  p98 FAQ's in this years edition of the Glock autopistols/annual

Q. What kind or brand of ammunition should I shoot in my Glock pistol?

A. Commercially produced, factory loaded quality ammunition manufactured to SAAMI spec, CIP, or Nato specifications in good condition.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I knew I smelled

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#26]
What the hell's the point of a Glock that isn't reliable all the time on all the ammo?!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
What the hell's the point of a Glock that isn't reliable all the time on all the ammo?!

Glocks are very reliable and should be even with Wolf ammo. If they're not either the pistol has a problem, or the ammo is out of spec.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it was about 2 months ago. I had bought it in the past and it seemed a little higher. However i wasnt going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Figured it was a sale

Sounds like a register screwup to me.

It AINT available for $69/k.  

It IS available at $77.20/k plus tax.  And that is the bottom line.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I put 500 rounds through my 10 year old G17 without a prob. I'd shoot more, but I got a killer deal on 1000 rounds of Remington brass cased 9mm last spring at Bass Pro that I'm still burning through.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like a register screwup to me.

It AINT available for $69/k.  

It IS available at $77.20/k plus tax.  And that is the bottom line.  

So there!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like your friend is blowing smoke, and putting his opinion of Wolf ammo on you, and anyone who asks him, thinking that since he's "Glock Armorer", they'll listen.

Maybe someone should email Glock about it?  

You are assuming a lot here!

Person is a friend in AZ, I'm in MA . . . he doesn't benefit from being an armorer and I won't be giving him any business. He does a lot of serious shooting with GSSF and took the course this week so that he's qualified to work on his own Glocks, not to make a business out of it.

He's a straight up person and very knowledgeable of Glocks, that's why I asked him. I also asked him to get me some info from some Glock folks while he was taking the course.

My experience with Wolf pistol ammo has been abysmal. Almost every round jammed (both new ammo and older design) in my S&W 39-2 (S&W admitted that the narrow feed ramp doesn't work with steel-cased ammo), had 1 FTF in 1 mag on H&K P7M8, also 1 FTF in 1 mag on another 9mm gun (this was before we bought any Glocks).

On the other hand I've fired probably 2K of Wolf .223 in 4 different mil-spec AR15s with no problem whatsoever.

I'll stick to use decent ammo (NOT Wolf) in my pistols, thank you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:46:39 AM EDT
[#32]
We love this topic, dont we ?  I know I do..

I'm in favor of using Wolf in my Glock.

Is anyone keeping score?

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I shoot the shit of of Wolf .45 in my G30, no probs
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Works fine in my G27 as does WWB, Gold Dot and Ranger.   The Wolf savings let me shoot more of the Gold Dot and Ranger
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I shoot Wolf .40 in my Glock 23 all the time. If you have some that you don't want anymore I will gladly dispose of it for you.

SWJ
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#36]
This is crazy talk! I think some of you work for Winchester. Ive never personaly seen any gun choke on wolf. Maybe I'm just lucky
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Ive never personaly seen any gun choke on wolf. Maybe I'm just lucky

You aint been around a wide variety of guns then.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Worked fine in my G19. I switched to WWB a couple years ago. It's almost as cheap and much cleaner.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#39]
I won't
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ive never personaly seen any gun choke on wolf. Maybe I'm just lucky

You aint been around a wide variety of guns then.

Thats funny
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I've used lots of Wolf 9mm in my Glock 17 and never had a problem. Used it in IDPA matches and just plinking. Never any failure. I'll continue to use it. I've had my 17 since 1988 and it's eaten anything I put in the magazine.

I think the reason that some guns have failures is that Wolf is dirtier than some ammo and some guns aren't as reliable as Glocks when they get dirty. Use it or don't use it but be assured it won't hurt your Glock if you do.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:34:06 AM EDT
[#42]
don't have a glock but i have a sam 1911 and a cz-75sa that love the .45 and 9mm wolf ammo.

winchester white box is another story.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Wolf is terrible.  I shoot way to much because of that crap .
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:36:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top