Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 4:39:06 AM EDT
I work at a range here in the Dallas area.  This past Sat (18 Mar), a customer was shooting his W99 in .40S&W.  He had fired several rounds and was shooting a few rounds weak (left) handed when it went k-boom.  We didn't hear anything out of the ordinary in the shop off the range and only knew it happened when he and several other shooters brought the pistol to the counter, along with two pieces of the upper right grip section, the rear portion of the extractor and the complete rear part of the case.  The rest of the case was still lodged in the chamber. This was Winchester factory ammo which he brought (not ours) and not reloads. The shooter was uninjured, but had he been shooting it with his right hand, he probably would have had some serious hand injuries.

Most of us that work here have many, many years experience (I have well over 50 years) and had not seen a k-boom involving a polymer frame.  We average about 2500 NEW shooters a year that use our range and have many members and returning customers, so we do see a lot of shooters and guns.

We advised the customer to 1) not do anything to the pistol (work the slide, take that case out of the chamber, etc.) just leave it as it was, 2) take lots of pictures, including close ups, from every angle of the pistol and ammunition with a digital camera 3) inlcude a card in every photo (as best could be done) which displayed the date, time, Model number, serial number and ammo lot number, 4) to call Winchester (Olin) 5) to call S&W (the US importer/support center for Walther products) and 5) to follow up the calls with e-mail and/or snail mail with a CD containing the photos.

This was NOT a matter of an unsupported section of the case blowing out.  The entire rim section of the case came off cleanly.  

Anyone else have a problem with their W99 or is this another event that adds to the issue of k-booms involving the .40S&W?

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 4 Walther P99's and only one is in .40S&W

no issues so far at all.. shoots like the first day......
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a walther p99 in .40.  It did not Kaboom but it did quit firing.  The polymer around part of the trigger mechanism broke.  It first cause the gun to shoot DAO for one round then it just quit.  I sent it back to S&W and they fixed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Waiting to see if you meant a P99 or SW99...

I've had my P99 in .40 for a few years now, never had a problem.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I am sure he meant Walther......
as he said    "W99 in .40S&W"

*edit.... he used in the topic description ... and in the post itself

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#5]
My bad! It was a P99 in .40S&W. Polymer section just behind the trigger on the right side blew off in two large triangular pieces and the rear part of the extractor (about 3/8") also left home.  All parts and the case base/rim were found on the floor of the firing line.

Slide locked back, the remainder of the case (seperated right at the extractor groove) still in the chamber.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#6]
.................that sucks......hope mine doesn't do that hinking.gif
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I see stories of kabooms with various guns. It always seems that 99% of them are w/ .40 cal bullets, though. I think I'll pass. It is quite a high pressure round.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I see stories of kabooms with various guns. It always seems that 99% of them are w/ .40 cal bullets, though. I think I'll pass. It is quite a high pressure round.

+1

Anecdotally, that is.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top