Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 11/19/2012 10:37:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 10:41:07 AM EST by Jagrmaister]
I need some help. Out of the following options, which do I pick up next? I've already got a PPQ in 9mm, and a XDs in .45. Also a 1911, or it'd be on the list. I like the ergos of both the M&P 9 and also the Glock 19 (do not like the 17's grip angle), I favor the M&Ps slightly though. I'd consider a P226, as I've always wanted one, but really just want another striker fire for some reason.

Pitch me either way if you've got experience with the choices.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:31:49 AM EST
Strangely enough I own all three. Well the SIG is s 228, but close enough. I run and carry all three with some regularity.

The G19 is the best CCW of the bunch, The M&P has the best ergonomics. The SIG is a SIG, absolutely rock solid in every sense. Most will probably find the SIG the most accurate, but the others are fine in that regard as well. Price tag favors Smith, then Glock with the SIG a very distant third. Aftermarket accessories seems to be a wash. All three of mine have been 100% reliable.

If I had to get rid of two and keep one, I lean SIG; it would be a hard call tho.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:17:15 PM EST
If you already have a PPQ in 9mm, I think anything else might be a step down.

For what it's worth, I've owned all the guns in your poll and only have the M&Ps left.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:48:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By ken_mays:

For what it's worth, I've owned all the guns in your poll and only have the M&Ps left.

PPQ rocks ass Stick with it
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:49:57 PM EST

I know the PPQ is probably at another level, I'm just looking to add another 9mm to my options. Right now I'm leaning towards the S&W. I kind of like the idea of picking up the M&P 22 pistol in addition to the full-size at some point as they both have the same ergos. Price is also more attractive than the others.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:09:15 PM EST
M&P all day
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:19:00 PM EST
Glock
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:56:13 PM EST
M&P if you plan on modding the trigger. Glock if you don't.

Both are very reliable, great guns...which is why I have them both.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:05:47 PM EST
Everyone needs a Glock, but the grip angle is the same on the 17 and the 19 as I'm sure someone before me has probably pointed out. The hump is in a different location on the blackstrap. The sub-compact Glock works best for me. That being said, the Gen4 grip is definitely an improvement over the Gen3 grip.

TheSig Sauer E2 grips appeal to me. Based on your choices, I would give a new P226 a try with the E2 grips. Th P226 is a fine weapon.

If you're good with a Glock then get one. It's a proven platform. It comes down to preference. The M&P is a good platform, too. You can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:37:48 PM EST
Glocks are perfection.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:40:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By threefeathers:
Glocks are perfection.

^this
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:22:13 AM EST
You've got a PPQ, they're very nice.

I'm a big Glock guy and think you definitely need a G19 in your stable.

If I had to start all over again with no handguns, the M&P would really give Glock a run for its money. I don't think you can go wrong with an M&P.

Classic SIGs are awesome guns. I've owned a few and every one has been great. They're not really my thing, but I wouldn't fault anyone for liking them.

There is no easy answer to your question. So, you've already got a PPQ. Is that your primary carry gun? If so, what do you want out of this next gun? If not, will this next gun be your primary carry gun? If so, what do you need this gun to do different than the PPQ?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:22:55 AM EST
Have you considered the new Hi-Point Walther PPX

Have you considered a Walther PPS for carry?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:46:18 AM EST
I have owned a ton of Glocks, and only one M&P. Said M&P is currently my USPSA/IDPA gun and I really like it. I actually like the trigger better than my g19, and the sights are far superior. So far accuracy and reliability are on par with my Glocks.

If you want a full size pistol for range/comp/open carry use I vote M&P. If you want a gun that will do all of that, plus carry a little (not much) easier than get the g19 and a cross breed supertuck style holster.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:54:14 AM EST
Originally Posted By Hero:

I'm a big Glock guy and think you definitely need a G19 in your stable.

If I had to start all over again with no handguns, the M&P would really give Glock a run for its money. I don't think you can go wrong with an M&P.

I am pretty much on boat with these statements.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:12:32 AM EST
Originally Posted By Jagrmaister:
I need some help. Out of the following options, which do I pick up next? I've already got a PPQ in 9mm, and a XDs in .45. Also a 1911, or it'd be on the list. I like the ergos of both the M&P 9 and also the Glock 19 (do not like the 17's grip angle), I favor the M&Ps slightly though. I'd consider a P226, as I've always wanted one, but really just want another striker fire for some reason.

Pitch me either way if you've got experience with the choices.
I see you posting on swforum so hurry up and get a damn m&p! I prefer everything about my m&p over my g19. I only keep around my g19 because, well, its a glock.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:22:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 10:23:21 AM EST by 1IV]
I am a glock owner g26 g21 have had 19 17c

I use a g22 at work.

I just bought a SW MP9c and a shield.

I can tell you the MP is every bit as good as the Glock.
With better creature comforts. Iron sights and interchangeable grip sleeves.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:35:41 AM EST
It's a toss up. I have the M&P 9mm, the Glock in .40 and the Sig 226 in .40. I love the Sig, but it's a different beast than the other two. Heavier with the metal frame and it's a hammer gun. I like the M&P but honestly the trigger was crap when I bought it. It had a horrible false reset that I could not get use to. Put in about $100 of aftermarket parts and it is better. Looking to get a G19 so I can have another 9mm around. None of the 3 seem to be the perfect gun for me, but I like all three. The Sig is too heavy for me to carry but the other two could work. My carry is the Walther PPS, great gun. Try all three and goe with the one which fits you hand the best and has the trigger you like the most. No wrong answer here.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:57:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 7:03:36 PM EST by Jagrmaister]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES_45:

Wow...that PPX sure is FUGLY. I have an XD slim if I want to carry on the light. I live in IL...so doubt that'll happen legally any time soon.

The votes favor the G19, but those that have had both seem more often than not to favor the M&P. I can pick up the M&P right now for $435 otd. The G19 will set me back about another $100 on top of that.

I went back to the LGS and took another long look at both. I like the trigger better on the G19. Both feel good in hand, but I favor the M&P just a bit. Also, I prefer the mag release on the M&P, the Glock seems kind of like a joke. Still haven't made up my mind. I appreciate everyone's advice, though.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:27:42 PM EST
My wife has M&Ps and I have Glocks. Both guns run flawlessly. I will say though, if RCS made a VG2 for the M&P and if S&W made a mid sized (G19 sized) gun I would probably switch to M&Ps entirely. But as it sits now, the VG2 makes carrying a relatively large handgun extremely easy all while giving me a fast, consistent, draw, so much so that I refuse to go with any gun for my personal carry that the VG2 isn't available for.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:17:41 PM EST
I like having a trigger reset so ill go with the g19, but thats all personal preference.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:35:30 PM EST
If you already have a PPQ in 9mm, I think anything else might be a step down..

Owning a PPQ is certainly going to make the grip on a Glock feel pretty crude in comparison.
I'd just stick with Walther. Get yourself a PPS and call it a day.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:07:41 AM EST
Originally Posted By jukeboxx13:
I like having a trigger reset so ill go with the g19, but thats all personal preference.

Apex's reset "kit" is only $20.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:12:32 AM EST
The best possible reset money cannot buy is muscle memory. Clicky and snappy sounding resets are nice but overplayed. Nothing beats putting rounds downrange and knowing your guns reset
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:18:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By Burnsy87:
M&P all day

This. Glock is the new 1911.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:55:01 AM EST
Between the Glock and M&P....the M&P.

Regarding the poll; the SIG P226 doesn't even belong there, it's orders of magnitude better than the other, plastic, choices.

I have both and like them both but there is no comparing them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:46:27 AM EST
My vote is for M&P.

My M&P 40c has been flawless and my M&P 40 fullsize with factory 9mm barrel is a pleasure to shoot at the range. Both guns have the APEX duty kit and RAM installed (well worth the money).
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:24:38 AM EST
Originally Posted By Aphex:
My vote is for M&P.

My M&P 40c has been flawless and my M&P 40 fullsize with factory 9mm barrel is a pleasure to shoot at the range. Both guns have the APEX duty kit and RAM installed (well worth the money).

I have a RAM in my M&P and IMHO it makes the trigger better than a Glock. My M&P has a lighter trigger than my g19, and now with the RAM, I have a very noticeable reset. I have been a Glock guy for years, but the M&P is really growing on me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:30:55 AM EST
If a Glock 19 is an option, it's almost always the right answer.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:19:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By Aphex:
My vote is for M&P.

This.

I didn't realize how easy it was to have the possiblity of shooting both .40 and 9mm out of the M&P. It's a barrel swap away. I checked them both out once again, and am going to order the M&P in 40, and also acquire a 9mm barrel to get two pistols in one.

It wasn't an easy decision. I just like the idea of having both calibers in one handgun for $500 total. Plus, the M&P just felt better overall in hand.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:24:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By Flatulence:
Originally Posted By jukeboxx13:

Apex's reset "kit" is only $20.

I also like stock internals on my guns for now.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:28:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES_45:
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Walther_PPX_10.jpg

I really thought that was a highpoint
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:29:56 PM EST
M&P 9 then bone down and put an Apex trigger in it and RAM I like the FSS
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:36:46 PM EST
Having owned a 17 & a 26 for a number of years, the 19 I didn't think I'd use it all that much. As the 17 was for classes/instructing 26 was the carry piece. Well the 19 has now replaced them both. The 19 is the new go to gun. Carry it daily, use it for classes (taking & instructing)
the biggest thing to me is the trigger of the m&p is crap. Ergo is nice, reliability is there but that trigger is crap. Yes I know you can buy a triger but honestly you shouldn't have too.

The glock in my opinion is the better pistol.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:37:54 PM EST
Got a Glock. Then got an XDM, then another XDM. Got a M&P 9MM. One XDM is getting ready to "go". I may get rid of the Glock, too. and get a .357 SIG M&P.

Right now, if I buy another handgun, it will be a S&W, based on my experience with the Glock, the XDM and the M&P.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:40:38 PM EST
The answer to any pistol question is ––- G19

What stainless 1911 should I buy? G19

Thinking of a .22 LR, which one? G19

Which M&P - full size or compact? G19

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:37:36 AM EST
Just ordered a M&P .40 Range and carry kit as well as a M&P 22 for plinking from Buck shot. Great prices for Black Friday. Also placed the 9mm barrel on backorder elsewhere. Can't wait to get them. Again, thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sure to post regarding M&P series.
Top Top