Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 7:31:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/25/2013 7:31:57 PM EDT by 454-805]
What is the longest revolver that's possible to be concealed-carried in a shoulder holster under a normal-looking jacket? Not a long winter overcoat, just a medium length sports jacket.

I have this desire to concealed-carry a big bore revolver sometime this winter - purely for the fun of it, mind you, but I'd still like to make it happen with some style and in comfort. However, the only revolver I currently own is a 7.5" bbl Ruger Super Redhawk. I'd like to get a 4" or 5" .44 mag sometime in the future, but that's not an option right now.

It seems like there is going to be a length limit on your gun with a vertical shoulder holster... like maybe the bottom of the barrel would start to stick out of the bottom of my coat when I sit down, or even when standing up with the longest barrels. I'm not sure. Will the muzzle of my 7.5" SRH stick out from under the hem of a normal cut jacket? At what point does weight become a concern - do you have to strap the opposite side of the holster to your belt, like suspenders, to counter-balance the weight of the gun?

Also, does anyone have any opinions of Falco vertical shoulder holsters (or Falco anything)? Between a Falco shoulder holster and a Bianchi X15 shoulder holster, which would you recommend? Galco does not make a vertical shoulder holster to fit my gun.

The Falco holster has a neat feature to help you get a better grip before drawing where it tilts the gun before you draw it, but if the harness system isn't comfortable, I don't see it being an advantage. Does anybody know if Falco holsters (the holster component of the system) are compatible with Galco harnesses?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:01:42 AM EDT
I have a Ruger NM Super Blackhawk 7.5" barrel I carry in a vertical shoulder holster when hunting. The overall length of my Super Blackhawk is approximately the same as your Redhawk.
I usually have a hunting coat with the revolver under it. It is very obvious I have a large mass on my left side and the bottom of the holster is frequently visible.
In my opinion these revolvers would be very difficult to carry concealed under a medium length coat.
In a vertical shoulder holster the 7.5 " barrel extends 4 or more inches below the beltline depending upon your torso length.
These large frame revolvers in a vertical shoulder holster would require a very loose fitting jacket to effectively conceal it. A smooth rapid draw can be challenging.

This is just my opinion based on my experience. Your experiences may be different.

Mike

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:29:50 PM EDT
That was sort of my guess as to how it would work, based purely on holding the revolver on my side and trying to get a feel for where it would ride in a jacket. Although I hate being cheap (always remember, the cheap man buys twice), I'll probably have to just get one of those Uncle Mikes shoulder holsters to experiment with. I'm only 5'11", so I don't think I'll have a lot of height to keep it clear of my belt. Probably going to be as you said and hang several inches below.
Top Top