Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2004 5:54:33 AM EDT
I have a Smith and Wesson 9mm model 5904 (blued finish) in excellent condition with 2 14rd mags.

Any ideas on what this gun is worth?  I'm thinking of selling/trading it and getting a 1911.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#2]
The 5904 is both blued and has an alloy frame, thus is lighter by a good bit than the all SS guns...I prefer it to the all steel guns myself...Ken Mays is most likely right on the money with his estimate, but condition and how badly someone wants such an item also plays a part. I don't particularly care for the S&W autos, but this is one I like.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Low to mid threes if you're lucky.  Smith autos are tough to move.  Not many guys like them ( I do) and you're competing against the police trade ins.  I've seen decent ones as low as $275.  Most dealers around here won't take them in trade.  Already have to many of them.

I picked up my used 5946, Austin PD trade in, in excellent condition for $325 a couple of years ago. Probably paid to much back then.  LEO friend of mine picked up an almost identical gun a year or so ago on an officer only deal from one of the Texas LE supply houses.  If I recall he had the gun in his hands for under $250, maybe even closer to $200.  He bought as trading stock and had a hell of a time getting rid of it.

You may be better off keeping it and saving your pennies a bit longer.  Any offers you get on it will likely make you cringe.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Diito on you being lucky enough to ever sell it. I'd wager you'll not get over $250 for it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I went to 5 dealers.  3 offered me $200, 2 offered $250.  I went to the bookstore and looked it up in several gun books and the average book price was $400 - $500.  Now I know book value and "street" value are two different things.

I really wanted to get no less than $300.  The problem now is that the market is full of Police model trade-ins.  

While I was at the last dealer I met a guy that ended up agreeing to give me $300 for it.  He's supposed to call me in the next couple of days.  I'm not calling it sold until I have cash in hand, we'll see.

I love the gun and would keep it but I have my old 5906 duty gun and don't really have use for two similar guns.  Besides, I really want a 1911 and that $300 will help to get me there.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Funny this came up.....
this spring i was going to trade my 5904 off for a brand new 1911 clone. the dealer would only give me $180 for it with 4, 14 round mags. i decided to keep it....
well, few months later, i haven't fired it at all, and not realy expecting to.  too big to be a BUG, have other handguns to use off duty. (not that i carry much off duty).  i sold it for $225 to a buddy of mine. he got a good deal, i got cash to use on other "needed guns".  gun was new when i got it, about 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:42:05 AM EDT
[#7]
For the $250-300 they seem to bring, it would be a good buy for the beginner shooter for a range gun, IMO. Learn to shoot & all that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#8]
The last one I owned I paid $200 for with 2 mags. I believe I was able to sell it for $300 when the time came.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top