Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 1:19:49 PM EDT
I am looking for a ball park value of this 1911 the serial dates it 1917 or 1918 can't remember. This belongs to a lady that has no interest in keeping it. I just want to make sure she gets a fair price.

There is some pitting on one side of the slide in a couple spots. I field stripped looks mechanically sound all safeties function properly. The barrel was dirty and I didn't have anything to clean it possibly some light pitting.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you know the history behind the pistol?They are not typically worth as much as people think unless there is something special about that particular (aside from the fact it was designed but the man that sits to the right of Jesus) pistol.
$500-$700 would be my guess. I want to reiterate guess
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If the barrel is correct for it, and most of the other parts are correct to the gun it is easily north of $1K.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you know the history behind the pistol?They are not typically worth as much as people think unless there is something special about that particular (aside from the fact it was designed but the man that sits to the right of Jesus) pistol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Please don't guess on something you know nothing about. It makes you look silly

Quoted:
If the barrel is correct for it, and most of the other parts are correct to the gun it is easily north of $1K.

I would guesstimate closer to $1500+ with correct barrel of course
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe if you put a 1 in front of those values.

The finish on that actually looks really good, if the inside is as good as the outside and it hasn't been refinished it could easily go just south of $2k. Unless my monitor/eyes or those photos are deceiving me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This, maybe a bit more if the finish other then the pitting is in good shape.

Doesn't look like it's been refinished due to how the frame was polished out, the grain will change around the trigger guard area.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Serial is from 1917.

It looks nice but the pitting hurts value a bit. I would say if everything is correct it would be in the $1500 range. The WW2 guns seem to be a bit more collectible and thus demand the higher prices even though these early guns probably served in the war as well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you tell if the barrel is correct? The inside of the gun looks good there is barely any wear on the rails.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#9]
SN 139XXX should have a barrel with an "H" and "P" visible through the ejection port, aligned vertically.

Borrowed from coolgunsite.com:
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would have to agree. I was just trying to make sure the OP didn't buy in to that "$500-$700" stuff.  Hell I would buy every one I could find at those prices even with incorrect parts.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Ratty mismatched aa rebuilds are getting close to a grand these days! That looks as best as I can tell an unmolested ww1 era gun. Easily 1500 and probably more
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I would have to agree. I was just trying to make sure the OP didn't buy in to that "$500-$700" stuff.  Hell I would buy every one I could find at those prices even with incorrect parts.
View Quote

You and me both...
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#14]
op

you NEED to sell that to us on arfcom in the EE!
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s255.photobucket.com/user/mnor32000/media/80E922EA-5A12-4006-8416-882C15CC332F.png.html" target="_blank">http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh142/mnor32000/80E922EA-5A12-4006-8416-882C15CC332F.png</a>
View Quote

"That's a bingo!"

Very nice.  I am nowhere near an expert, but from what I can tell from the pics, it looks like an original pistol in quite good condition for the age.
To get top dollar, collectors will want to see good photos of all the details--top, rear and underside of the slide, the checkering on the trigger, hammer, slide stop, safety, every single stamp and rollmark...and if you have a good set of hollow-ground screwdrivers, maybe carefully remove the grips and show what's under them, too.

For collectors. originality is #1, and condition is a close #2.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top