Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2012 1:00:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2012 4:26:14 PM EDT by beve]
Hey guys. I have an m&p9c and some of the factory coating on the slide has come off from holstering and unholstering, and I can see the stainless steel. Is it possible to get the factory coating redone? Also, there is a custom gunsmith shop like a mile from my house and they will refinish the slide in cerakote for $65. Is cerakote any good?

Thanks for the help!

New Question:

The local guys offer PVD coating from ionbond as well for $75 dollars. I just emailed them to ask if they can do the flat dark earth color. That is the one that comes on the VTAC m&p guns. Anyone know about this coating? I love the look of the FDE and kind of really want to do that now
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 1:08:42 PM EDT
Cerakote is good stuff but there is a guy who will put the factory coating back on (Melonite) for $80. Top notch stuff from Doug. http://www.ateiguns.com/
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 2:10:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:
Cerakote is good stuff but there is a guy who will put the factory coating back on (Melonite) for $80. Top notch stuff from Doug. http://www.ateiguns.com/

Ok cool, so here is my next question: is the cerakote < melonite? If it is, how should I save the money (shipping + $15 difference in base price) and cerakote it or should i pay the premium and get the melonite?
1 consideration: I will keep wearing off the finish as I continue to carry the gun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 2:26:45 PM EDT
Melonite is a process where they take the parts to be coated and dipped into hot hot baths of liquid.

Cerakote is a ceramic based paint that is sprayed topically.

Melonite IMO should be a stronger finish. I carry my M&P9c in a Raven Concealment holster everyday and my slide still looks like new. If I were you, I would call up S&W and tell them that your finish is coming off prematurely and they might refinish it for you for free. The worse they could say is no.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:05:00 PM EDT
Thank you for the information. I wish the local guy could do the melonite. That would be the best of both worlds. I guess I will save my pennies and ship off the slide for refinishing one day.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:23:45 PM EDT
I used a little clp on my slide and worked my kydex a little to help resolve the wear issue. If mine gets bad I'll probably media blast it down to the stainless and have a bi-tone M&P. (Assuming I can do that) If the melonite is wearing off, the cerakote will wear off faster.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 7:30:33 AM EDT
Bumped for new quesiton
Top Top