Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2014 5:10:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2014 5:32:37 PM EDT by m6z]
I've been looking for my next handgun purchase. Considering a used Sig 226R (.40/.357) with the DAK trigger. I've seen them priced around $400-$500 which seems like a great price. This will mostly be a range gun and I'll probably get a threaded 9mm conversion barrel for it eventually.

Are any of you happy with the DAK triggers?

Do the SA/DA models command a premium?

Should I hold out for a SA/DA model? Any leads on a cheap SA/DA?

Changing out the DAK for a SA/DA trigger looks to cost around $200.... Are there any DAK upgrades like the light LEM for HK's? I might be happy with the stock DAK, I really have no idea.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:03:07 PM EDT
I had a DAK and sold it. After shooting DA/SA for years dak sucks. Watch gunbroker for decent priced P226 I've seen several under $500 over the last month.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:37:31 PM EDT
I carried a P226R DAK in .357 for 7 years and it was a very good gun (still have it). I prefer DA/SA over DAK but now when I pull the DAK out I find it's not as bad as I remember it (I converted the .357 to DA/SA but still have a 9mm DAK with E2 grips). For $400-500 they are a good deal if you are ok with the DAK. It will cost around $100-150 to convert to DA/SA so if you want DA/SA you will probably be cheaper buying one already set up that way.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:24:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2014 10:35:20 AM EDT by Scotter260]
I picked up a 2006ish trade-in 226R DAK in 9mm a few years back for something like $430 delivered with three mags and night sights. The first one ordered had a German-made frame and was just phenomenal. A friend really liked it so I told him I'd just order another and sold it to him. The second one I received, which is pictured below, has a US-made frame and when shaken you can practically see the slide moving on the frame - it rattles like a baby's toy but the darn thing works great and is very accurate.

I'm almost totally a DAO person and to me the DAK is probably the best iteration of it perhaps second only to the first generation of S&W DAO 3rd Gens but they're already half-cocked so it may not be fair for me to compare the two directly.

For me the DAK is a long but fairly light and very smooth action. I don't use the second stroke option which is a bit shorter, a bit heavier but just as smooth.

I've carried this 226R DAK on-duty now almost since getting it because it's accurate, holds a good number of rounds (primary mag is an 18-round MecGar) and was already surplus so I didn't/don't have to worry about it getting bunged up.

IMHO if someone takes some time to truly learn DAO/DAK and get past the "ewww, it's DAO", it can be just as effective and accurate as DA/SA while eliminating a step in the process (decocking, etc.) which isn't a huge deal but I'm a big proponent of simple.

Pic for fun:

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:22:11 AM EDT
Dak trigger felt like complete garbage to me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:30:40 AM EDT
After one day at the range my 229 went back to SIG for a DA/SA conversion.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:51:16 PM EDT
I have a 229R 9mm DAK that I like a lot.
Constant trigger pull every time but I also enjoy shooting revolvers.

Top Top