Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2002 3:32:13 AM EDT
Well, I've just finished my 3rd bolt, and still not right.
Quick history: New Mitchell Arms (Uberti) 45LC Cattleman, 4.75".  Had a bad cylinder ring from bolt head sitting high @ 1/2 Cock and bolt drop way too early before the locking slot ramps.
I've got the bolt-to-cylnder fitting down pretty well, hand fitting with 320 wet/dry on a trued surface.
Problem: The height of the bolt head @ 1/2 cock decreases in direct proportion to the bolt arm being shortened to time the bolt drop.
This is telling me that mainly the very end of the bolt arm is riding the cam, and as the arm is shortened to time the drop, the amount of bolt pick-up is decreasing.  I think that maybe the hammer cam was incorrectly cut.
Can anyone tell me for sure that a late model Uberti can be properly timed for the bolt flush or below the frame @ 1/2 cock?  I don't see how that is possible with this geometry of parts. I can cut down the bolt head, but taking material off the head reduces cylinder lock-up, which according to Kuhnhausen is a big no-no.
My next move is to cut the cam back to achieve drop timing instead of shortening the bolt arm.

Could I beng using the wrong bolt from Uberti?
I have found a mis-matches in this gun. I have a late hammer that has the smaller hand pivot but the larger, early style hammer screw diameter.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top