Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 9/7/2010 5:14:24 AM EDT
Is there an easy way to tell if an older (94) HK USP 40 recoil springs need to be replaced?

The older HK USP I just bought seems very snappy, and I am wondering if I need to replace some springs or something.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:25:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes they eject brass violent and far away if weak on the recoil spring. Test it with the weaker ammo like White Box.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The recoil springs on HK USPs are good for at least 10K, but since you bought used you have no way of knowing how many rounds are through it.  The .40 is a snappy little cartridge but is generally quite well behaved in the USP or USPC.  If your pistol shows evidence of a lot of wear on the barrel and chamber hood, replace ONLY the outer recoil spring, not the inside one.  Wolff sells them or you may get one from HK or HKParts.net.  
I have never had to replace a recoil spring yet and my most shot pistol, my carry USPC 45 has 12K on it now and is still going strong.  So if your pistol looks like it has not been shot much, then it very likely does not need the recoil spring replaced.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is a few shots of the hood and barrel wear and recoil spring assembly...pretty apparent wear, but since it's my first HK, and used...not sure if it's a lot.  But by the external condition of the gun, and these smilies, it's been shot a lot.  Is there a measurement r something for the spring to tell if it's in spec?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
That does not appear to be excessive wear.

USPs wear fast on the barrel and locking block. They will start to wear from the extractor after just a hundred or so rounds.

Even the pictures of the disassembled guns in the manual look like that. I'd just shoot it, you'll get used to the recoil.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Another approach:

Purchase a new recoil spring. See if there's a measurable difference between the two. If the new spring is over an inch longer than the old one, I'd trash the old one. If it's still in good shape ... you have a spare for down the road.

I do the same with AR15 buttstock springs.

ETA: You're missing the front recoil spring retention plate and C retaining spring. The recoil assembly is normally captured from the factory. It won't hurt anything to run it the way you have it, however.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:46:31 AM EDT
[#6]
The inner spring is captured on this USP...but the outer is not, so I think the larger, outer spring beng non-captured is proper.  It's even that way in the manual.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The inner spring is captured on this USP...but the outer is not, so I think the larger, outer spring beng non-captured is proper.  It's even that way in the manual.

You are correct, the inner spring is captured. You are wrong on the outer spring. In ALL USP's the outer spring is captured by a c clip that goes on the end of the recoil rod and holds on the recoil spring plate. The manual shows an exploded view of the pistol ... hence why the spring is shown off the recoil rod.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#8]
The outer spring was not captured on early USP pistols.  His is a 94 and you cannot get much earlier than that, so it is normal for his pistol to not have a captured recoil spring.
This is what I would do because your pistol does look to have a bit of usage.
It will cost you about $70 but order a new recoil spring guide assembly.  It will have both springs captive which makes cleaning so much more easy, and you will get a new spring assembly.
And that new assembly will drop right in, no hassle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#9]
The first year that HK produced the USP, 1994, they did not have the large recoil spring retained to the guide rode with a c-clip.

Upgrades to the design in 1995 included the retained recoil spring, among other things.

ETA: Beat!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I stand corrected by the experts.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The outer spring was not captured on early USP pistols.  His is a 94 and you cannot get much earlier than that, so it is normal for his pistol to not have a captured recoil spring.
It will cost you about $70 but order a new recoil spring guide assembly.  It will have both springs captive which makes cleaning so much more easy, and you will get a new spring assembly.

Should I contact HK for that part?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Should I contact HK for that part?

You can either call them or buy it from here - http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Recoil-Rod-Assembly-USP-40-S-W-199p1458.htm

HK might tell you to buy it from HKparts.net anyway.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#13]
The USP was built to handle the .40 which is a snappy round to begin with. From the pics you've posted you don't have any excessive wear that I can see. HKs are if anything, overbuilt. Take it to the range and get used to it. You've got a pistol that will generally out last its owner. I know all of my HKs will.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I shot it again yesterday with various weights, and used my shooting gloves.  That seemed to help.  It's not uncontrollable at all and shoots very accurately.  I just have bad wrists.  So I'll probabbly just shoot it.

If I add any money into it for night sights that glow or parts, i won't be able to eventually sell it and upgrade to a P30.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top