Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 9/24/2004 9:00:44 PM EST
i have a USP .45 that is date coded 93. i bought it used from a friend for $500. ive had it about two years, and im starting to think it may need a bit of work done to it. everything feels kind of loose, somewhat sloppy. also at times when the slide is locked back, if i insert a mag it will auomatically slide forward.

id just like to give it a workover and make it better. its a good shooter but i dont think its at its best. i have a USP compact in 9mm that is almost new that i use as a reference point. also, it has a fiber optic front site, i was thinking of changing it to traditional night sights. dumb idea?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:04:54 AM EST
You'd be best suited to go back to the factory, IMO. You seem to have a laundry list for problems & H&K warranties their gun for lifetime, AFAIK. OTOH, using a private smith means you have to first find someone who can do it, then you have the SEE if he can do it & then you have to decide if he can do it. Too risky, IMO. I'd do factory & keep the warranty intact.

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:54:40 PM EST
Factory is a good way to go unless you can find a factory certified "armorer" or smith in your area. The HK Lifetime warranty is for the first owner of the gun. I don't know if there is a way of proving that the other guy was the first owner. If he never sent the card in, then you might have a shot?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:00:33 AM EST
I'd call HK in VA for a RM number and then send it in to them.

I bought a used USP45C on the EE here that malfunctioned and had a sear part fall out of the magwell into my hand. Turned out the previous owner was a home gunsmith of sorts.............

Any way - HK went through the entire pistol and replaced everything that wasn't up to factory specs, test fired it, and returned it to me free of charge. Outstanding customer service.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:40:20 AM EST
I too would recommend sending it back to H&K. They are great guns but they have one draw back, 6 million pieces and only a few qualified people who know how to work on them. The problem you have with inserting a new mag on an empty weapon sounds normal and that will happen from time to time. It happens when the new magazine is insterted too hard and at a certain angle releasing the slide release spring. Good Luck!!
Page Handguns » H&K
Top Top