Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2005 6:29:15 AM EDT
Ok here's the deal. I have had this USP Tactical for about 3 weeks now. But because I belong to a range that is all outdoors + the Rhode Island weather, the range is FINALLY OPEN! So today I am going to the range to finally test this beast out. I am really nervous, I hope this gun performs as well as I hope. I will post the minute I get home, and hopfully have some pic's of todays fun adventure. The tactical is going to be pitted against my buddies Glock17 and my Sig p226. Going to be shooting at distances of 15-50 yards. Hopfully she wll hit my 6" targets everytime at 25 yards with a decent group. Planning on putting 300 or so rounds through her.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:53:00 AM EDT
Good luck..and relax. You'll love it!

Your first set of groupings may not be to your liking, that won't be the firearm. You'll need to get used to it.

Post your results!
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:30:04 AM EDT
You are absolutly correct. I love this gun a ton, but I wasn't doing as well as I had hoped. I fired about 200-250 rounds through her at about 15 yards from a semi-rigid bench. Now I was hitting my target it was a 25 yard slowfire pistol target, so to say the least it was decent size at 15 yards. Now, for the most part I was hitting the paper with an occasional bullet hitting into the black. Now my problem is which i diagnosed with that super neat target with the rings and tells you what you are doing wrong, my problem is that I am slapping the trigger and/or compensating for recoil. I shoot low and to the left, always with almost every gun that I pick up, and I did the same with the Tac. So this sounds like a great case of operator error and technique. So I was messing around with the sights and trying to adjust them to move up and hit the target because I was pretty damn well hitting low left everytime in a good group. So i figured if I could adjust the sights and bring that group over the target that I would be golden. I tried that nothing really happend, it might have shifted a tad but nothing really noticable. So any adjustment tips for sights and/or stuff happening like this before? oh and what is the adjustment of the sights set at 1" at 100 yards? I know thats the usual setting, so at 15 yards I would have to do some serious tweaking. But to say the least I LOVED THE GUN, it is pretty much everything it is advertised to be. Recoil is fairly light for a .45, great trigger pull and trigger, everything on the gun was great. It was just a case of being new on the gun and operator error. I didn't know why I was going to pick it up right away, it does take alot to get adjusted to a new gun. I tried some different ammo types all 230 gr. I had speer lawman, blazer's, remington's and winchester white box. All seemed to pretty much do the same thing, low left.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:50:33 AM EDT
If you are using a 2 hand grip you might be pulling to hard with your left hand, that is if you are right handed shooter.  If you are a left handed shooter it is most likely your trigger pull, plus check your breathing just like a rifle I find this helps tighten up my shot groups when I fire more relaxed.
I to was shooting to the left because with my laser attachment I had to change my hold, and I found I was pulling my shot off to the left with my left hand, I concentrated on keeping my left hand more striaght back as I fired and then my shots were on the money.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:17:24 AM EDT
that is something I will have to look into, I think my problem is I am anticipating and compensating the recoil. I found myself dipping the muzzle just a tad before squeezing the shot off trying to level off the recoil, I dunno why I would be doing this because it dosn't bother me at all and dosn't even come close to hitting me, but I think thats my problem also, possibly along with slapping the trigger. I gotta figure out how to adjust the sights also, but like I said alot of the problem is technique. I can shoot a rifle no problem, used to be on a rifle team hit 10 ring all the time, but, handguns they tend to give me a problem. Any tips or advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:03:25 AM EDT
Get yourself some snap caps and spend a lot of time dry-firing.  When you can pull the trigger on the snap caps and the sights don't jump off target every time, then try a little live fire but have someone load the mag with a snap cap in there, but you won't know where it is.  If when you hit the snap cap your pistol jumps out and down you and everyone else watching knows what you are doing wrong, and expect some ribbing.  When you shoot with a snap cap in there, you know it is coming but not when and quite often you see an imediate improvement in your shooting because you are concentrating so hard on not pushing (and making yourself look silly when you hit the snap cap) that you stop.  Keep shooting that way and if you start pushing again, stop shooting and do some more snap cap practice at home.  Every time you pull the trigger the sights should stay on target.  If they jump, you are pushing or slapping or something.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:07:06 AM EDT
Thanks for that reply big bore. I have read somewhere that for every live round you fire you should practice with snap caps atleast 3 times. Just to master the trigger pull and deviation of the sights. What about sight adjustments? any tips on how I should go about sighting the tactical in for me?
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 12:31:43 AM EDT
I was (and still am sometimes) shooting a bit low and to the left.  

A guy at the range said, "Hold your [UNLOADED] pistol like you are getting ready to fire.  Use a moderate grip on the pistol.  Then squeeze your hand real tight and watch the bbl end of the gun."

Sure as hell.  Whenever I gripped the pistol hard with my pinky finger, it threw the whole sight picture out of wack.  That damn pinky finger.  Always getting in the way.

I'll grasp the pistol with my right hand.  And then as I grasp with my left, I'll stick my pinky finger out and over the left hand.  It's kind of hard to explain with words and looks strange, but it tightens up my groups.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 2:59:09 AM EDT
A mounted laser and snap caps will make you a better shooter over night.

I love first-timers watch that laser bounce all over (with some practice, you'll get steady follow through).

People say I'm a pretty good shot, I just let the firearm do all the work
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top