Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 1:07:39 PM EDT
Am looking for a bit of added weight to the front of my 34, and figured a good way to do that was to install a tungsten guide rod.  I like the way the gun balances and feels with the added weight of my TLR-1 light installed.  Was planning on sticking with the 17 lb recoil spring, and have done no internal modifications to the gun.  Has anyone done this, and if so were there any issues?  Am shooting factory ammo for now, but will be reloading 9mm soon.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I frequently shoot my 34 with my wx150 on the rail.  Stock springs, no trouble so far.  My reloads are pretty weak too and it still cycled reliably.  I know nothing about the tungsten guide rod.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I fell for the hype and used a tungsten guide rod on my G23.

After 3000 to 4000 rounds the rod broke in half where the end disk is connected to the main rod.

Stock guide rod is fine. If you must go with a steel one, go the stainless route. Tungsten just seems to be to fragile over time.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

After 3000 to 4000 rounds the rod broke in half where the end disk is connected to the main rod.

Stock guide rod is fine. If you must go with a steel one, go the stainless route. Tungsten just seems to be to fragile over time.

Thanks for the input.  I would be royally pissed if the guide rod broke after 3-4k rounds.  The stainless is much cheaper, so I think I will go that route.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Stainless steel is durable and a good alternative to the stock rod, especially when changing spring weights.  The tungsten rod is just a way of separating gullible souls from their greenbacks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top