Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2009 4:36:12 PM EST
It's a .38. I can't locate the model number on the frame. It should be an easy fix, but I know practiacally nothing about revolvers. The screw that holds on the cylinder release button is too short. I know this because it screws in fine without the button, but doesn't have enough bite with the button in place. The grip screw has the same threads and goes through fine.

What would be the best course of action to replace the screw? As I said I have no idea of what model it is, and I'm sure it's not worth a lot of cash outlay. Sorry if my description wasn't very good. I can clarify if need be.

Thanks to all.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:42:32 PM EST
Sounds like someone stripped the threads out.

You might want to open it up, see how much metal the screw goes into and if it's big enough, drill and tap it out to the next largest size.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:45:23 PM EST
i don't think the threads are stripped because the screw goes in fine by itself, but when you put it through the button (whatever that thing is properly called that you push) you can see that there isn't even an entire turn of thread available to grab protruding through. . hope this makes sense.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:49:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By DangerDave:
i don't think the threads are stripped because the screw goes in fine by itself, but when you put it through the button (whatever that thing is properly called that you push) you can see that there isn't even an entire turn of thread available to grab protruding through. . hope this makes sense.

Because the threads it used to grab are gone and what you are doing when you put the screw in without the latch is threading into threads that the screw usually never touches if the latch is in place. Either the screw is stripped [pretty easy to see] or the threaded hole is.................

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:53:24 PM EST
That makes sense. I had to think about it though.

It looks pretty short though. But if it is the original screw it wouldn't have shortened itself.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:57:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By DangerDave:
That makes sense. I had to think about it though.

It looks pretty short though. But if it is the original screw it wouldn't have shortened itself.

Thanks.

Yep, you'd have to see how long the tapped hole is and how much longer of a screw you'd need to grab the undamaged threads without binding on anything else inside it. You'd also want to measure the undamaged thread area to see if you would have enough to actually last securely.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:04:54 PM EST
It seems to me that the best course of action would be to return it to my boss and tell her that it's above my paygrade.

I was hoping it was an easy fix.

Thanks for helping me to understand the nature of the problem. It will probably come in handy in the future.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:30:31 PM EST
Why not just go to a fastener store and get a hardened screw of the same thread pitch and head size, but a bit longer, to replace the screw? Should be "doable". Might have to do a bit of shaping to the head of the screw, if it's not exactly right, or cut it to length a bit.............shouldn't be too hard to do, I wouldn't think.

Just tryin' to help.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:09:16 AM EST
Thanks Vini. I'll pass that along when I return it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:44:11 PM EST
Can the two screws be swapped?
Top Top