Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2017 3:25:31 PM EDT
Wanted to give my take on the new Trijicon HD XR's.  They are virtually identical to the standard HD sights, except the front sight is thinner.  I have been running HD on all my pistol since their release several years ago, and for my intended purposes they work great.  My only gripe was the overly wide front sight.  It made longer distance shots a bit more challenging.  Fast forward to today, and Trijicon has helped with that complaint by thinning out the front sight, IE the XR series.  I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet, but I don't expect them to be any different that my standard HDs overall. The front sight is noticeably thinner, however it still retains the high glow dot.  The front sight is now about the same width as most of the other manufacturers standard front sights, Hienie, Ameriglo, Dawson, etc. From just presenting the pistol I can easily see around the front sight better than the HD which should allow for more precise shot placement at shorter distances, and allow for easier shot placement at further distances.  

Now I don't think everyone should run out and replace their HD's with them, but if you are planning on purchasing a set of HD's or replacing and aging set, I would definitely go with these.  I would not be surprised if the HD sights are discontinued at some point, because the XR series offers everything the HD does, with the benefit of being easier to use at longer ranges.

A few images of the HD compared to the HD XR's.  

G17 with HD's

G19 with HD XR's

TXPO
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the thinner front sight.  I would prefer a red or orange ring though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
The regular HD can be either orange or yellow. I would imagine this is the same. 

I have the HD sights on my P2000 and really like them. 
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes they are available in the orange front as well.  The Yellow stands out better to my eyes, against the targets I may encounter.  I switched from the orange a few years ago.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#4]
They need to re-profile the rear sight so it doesn't have that edge. I hated these sights when appendix carrying.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Does trijicon sell just the front sight? I know ameriglo does with the pro glo.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:37:55 PM EDT
[#6]
These look great.  Apparently Ameriglo is coming out with something really similar to Trijicon HD's, I would really like to compare the two.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:44:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Saw these came out at SHOT, didn't realize they were already shipping. Ill be getting a set to put on another 19, as I love the HDs I have now.

The thinner front sight will be a big plus for distance shooting, but I really wish they would have narrowed the u-notch a bit as well. The generous notch of the HDs already makes accuracy at speed a little harder, and the thinner sights should only make this worse at close distances. In other words, target sights they aint.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 3 sets of the original HD sights and I am fine with the sight picture for man sized torso targets at longer ranges.  There is still plenty of light on either side of the front sight as can be seen in the OP's pics.

Maybe it's just me, but I think just throwing a thinner front sight with the standard .169 rear sight notch would leave more room for error thus making it less accurate at longer ranges.  I'd be worried that I spent $150 just to find out my standard HD's actually work better.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#9]
The appeal of the HD's for me has always been quick acquisition - I don't need a precision sight, I need a go home sight.

I'll continue to buy the originals a long as they're available.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Still deciding which Glock to install them on, probably use them for the indoor nationals.

These fix the only gripe I had with HD's, yellow all the way (still have both, but no longer will purchase orange).
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:27:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone know the width of the front sight?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 2:22:19 AM EDT
[#12]
All I know is the 17/19 frames take 6.5 mm in height according to Glocks website.
I suspect width would be determined by manufacturer. I know the
FBI contract specification (for the "M"version) "did" cover this and
they "did" mention (by manufacturer name) Trijicon HD's or better.
They did mention a lil more, but don't remember everything it said
and I already deleted the requirements/specifications.

But, I would suspect the manufacturer design determines width.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:29:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All I know is the 17/19 frames take 6.5 mm in height according to Glocks website.
I suspect width would be determined by manufacturer. I know the
FBI contract specification (for the "M"version) "did" cover this and
they "did" mention (by manufacturer name) Trijicon HD's or better.
They did mention a lil more, but don't remember everything it said
and I already deleted the requirements/specifications.

But, I would suspect the manufacturer design determines width.
View Quote

What does any of this have to do with how wide trijicon made their new HD front sights?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 4:57:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What does any of this have to do with how wide trijicon made their new HD front sights?
View Quote

When he reads one post then tries to sound informed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anyone know the width of the front sight?
View Quote

The XR front sights are .122" and the regular HD is .144".
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I like the idea of a thinner front blade.  What I wish Trijicon would do though is make OEM height HD's.  The current ones tower way too high over the slide and just 'feel' wrong and unbalanced
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I gave the sights a shake down today, ran 200 rounds through the 19.  I like these much better than the standard HD's.  They work exactly like they are supposed to.  I can easily get tight groups up close, much like a target sights, and better groups at distance.  Only checked them to 20 yards, but everything was easily placed in the 9 and 10.  Running them at speed I can pick them up just as fast as the standard HD's, the yellow/green dot in my case, jumps right out.  The thinner front blade makes a big difference, at least in my intended application.  I do agree, I wish they were slightly lower, but with the height, they are easy and quick to pick up, and the rear hooks on for one handed drills.  I think Trijicon did a good thing by introducing these.  Some folks will like them and some won't, same as the original HD's.  Now if Trijicon will just make these for the P10, I'll be set.  

On a side note, Ameriglo is introducing a set of their sights that are virtually identical t the HD series.  I am not sure when they will be released, but as soon as they are, I will try out a set of these as well.  

TXPO
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I gave the sights a shake down today, ran 200 rounds through the 19.  I like these much better than the standard HD's.  They work exactly like they are supposed to.  I can easily get tight groups up close, much like a target sights, and better groups at distance.  Only checked them to 20 yards, but everything was easily placed in the 9 and 10.  Running them at speed I can pick them up just as fast as the standard HD's, the yellow/green dot in my case, jumps right out.  The thinner front blade makes a big difference, at least in my intended application.  I do agree, I wish they were slightly lower, but with the height, they are easy and quick to pick up, and the rear hooks on for one handed drills.  I think Trijicon did a good thing by introducing these.  Some folks will like them and some won't, same as the original HD's.  Now if Trijicon will just make these for the P10, I'll be set.  

On a side note, Ameriglo is introducing a set of their sights that are virtually identical t the HD series.  I am not sure when they will be released, but as soon as they are, I will try out a set of these as well.  

TXPO
View Quote
I want to try the Ameriglo sights as well. I hope they will be less sharp than the HD rear.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I want to try the Ameriglo sights as well. I hope they will be less sharp than the HD rear.
View Quote

What are the Ameriglo sights called, or better yet, what's the model number?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

^ Interested in this too.

Does anyone know if you can buy the standard HD sight separately? If so, even if you tried the new sights and didn't like them you could just order the standard HD front to replace right? It seems that the rears are identical.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't even know if a name or model number has been released yet.  I've only seen hints of them on social media. Vdmsr put some pictures up on his instagram.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 7:19:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I got an answer to selling the front sight separately, and it aint the one I wanted Seems trijicon will sell the new HD "slims" as a set only, maybe later they will change their mind.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 4:43:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Well I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered a set to try out, should be here today or Monday. I was told by a trusted source that these have been tested in the field for quite some time by some very respected dudes, and they love them as a general purpose sight.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#24]
No camera at the moment, but the XRs came in today. I went with the yellow, because I have the orange ones now and wanted to see if I liked them better or worse. Arent mounted yet, but I believe these will fix my main gripe about the original HDs.

These XRs are almost identical in measurement to the 10-8 Fiber Optic front with u-notch rear that I have on my G22, and I love that sight setup. The HD dot is about the same size as the FO rod(only slightly larger), and much brighter. Posts are the same width. The u-notch matches up in width with the 10-8 rear as well, so sight picture should be really nice.

Hope to get them thrown on tomorrow and get out to the range this week with them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I may try these for my 17 with a can. They seem to be in the middle range on height.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Does the rear sight come with a Allen head set screw ?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Does the rear sight come with a Allen head set screw ?
View Quote

Doubt it, the only change looks to be the front sight, the rears on the normal HD's do not have a screw, nor are they needed.  The sights fit very tight.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Do Trijicons "blacked out" rears like those still have tritium vials in them? Just not outlined with white/yellow/orange, etc.?

My only experience is with the "Tough & Bright" night sights that all 3 dots are tritium with white outlines.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Do Trijicons "blacked out" rears like those still have tritium vials in them? Just not outlined with white/yellow/orange, etc.?
My only experience is with the "Tough & Bright" night sights that all 3 dots are tritium with white outlines.
View Quote

Yes, the HD rears still have tritium but no rings.  They don't stand out much in daylight, which is good if you like blacked out rear sights.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:44:27 AM EDT
[#30]
I believe these are the New Ameriglo high visibility sights that are coming out.

AMERIGLO FBI SIGHTS
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I believe these are the New Ameriglo high visibility sights that are coming out.

AMERIGLO FBI SIGHTS
View Quote

Looks good so far, thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top