Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 3:19:04 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

I have been lurking for a few weeks but finally decided to post my first question. I will be turning 21 this coming year and am very interested in picking up my first handgun, at the momment the XD 9mm has caught my attention and I was wondering how hard it is to retrofit the Trijcon night sights onto the XD slide?

I saw the post a few below mine in which people had said "James" was able to do sight replacements, but I was wondering if this is something that should really be tackled by a professional, or if this would be something I would be able to do myself.

I am really just trying to figure out the best gun for me at this point, and will be heading to the range in the next few weeks looking to rent a few different handguns (the XD, Sig 228, Glock 23, HK USPs) and plan to use this gun primarily as a range gun, with the intention of using is as a concelaed carry gun in the near future. I have picked 9mm as I want a gun I can shoot all day without emptying my wallet, and although people say 9mm doesnt pack "knockdown power" needed for a CCW gun, I think a 9mm is more than enough when loaded with the right ammunition.

I appreciate any input you guys have on the sight replacement, as well as any advice you guys who own multiple handguns, or who carry theirs have for someone looking to buy right the first time.

thanks,

RJH

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#1]
If you've never done it, then yes let a gunsmith do it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have heard that the stock sights on a XD are a big pain to get off.  Personally, I'd send them to a competent gunsmith to have them fitted.  I have a Bitone XD-9 service myself and it is definitely a reliable piece of firearm.

The Sig 226 sights will fit on a XD, but if you don't want to deal with having one fitted, there are some XD's out there that have night sights already installed.   If you do get one that's installed already, make sure it's on there good.  A friend of mine bought a subcompact XD-9 with aftermarket night sights on it, but when he took it to the range for the first time, the front sight broke loose.  He was wondering why he was shooting so crappy until I pointed it out to him.

Good luck.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Guys. At this point I am not sure if I want to buy new or used...i guess like in the car world, might as well have someone else take the depreciation on any added modifications. houghts
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks Guys. At this point I am not sure if I want to buy new or used...i guess like in the car world, might as well have someone else take the depreciation on any added modifications. Anyone Conceal Carry a 4" XD...any thoughts on having it as a carry gun?

Thanks again.

I carry a 5", but then again I'm a big fat guy.  Might as well buy new if you can afford it, I'm not sure about there, but there aren't many used XD's here. Mine was $534 out the door, and hell theres always layaway, my best friend when it comes to buying guns.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks Guys. At this point I am not sure if I want to buy new or used...i guess like in the car world, might as well have someone else take the depreciation on any added modifications. Anyone Conceal Carry a 4" XD...any thoughts on having it as a carry gun?

Thanks again.

I carry a 5", but then again I'm a big fat guy.  Might as well buy new if you can afford it, I'm not sure about there, but there aren't many used XD's here. Mine was $534 out the door, and hell theres always layaway, my best friend when it comes to buying guns.

got my used 4" for a good price $370 and I plan on using it for my carry gun.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]
In my opinion a 9mm is sub par for a carry gun. The .45 or .40 is better. I just picked up a ultra compact in .45 my first springfield, not my first 1911
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#8]
If you haven't purchased your hand gun yet and you want night sights, you may want to check out the price of an XD9104HC.  I have one and they come from the factory with Trijicons installed.  Mine also has the competition action job from the factory but you may not want to go that extra expense.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the answers guys. I am sure I will have more questions before I make the purchase and appreciate your help.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Just look around and get the gun with the night sights already installed.  I think I paid $60 more to get it with night sights and the regular sights.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just look around and get the gun with the night sights already installed.  I think I paid $60 more to get it with night sights and the regular sights.

I was just looking on www.gunbroker.com and saw that a few came with night sights already installed and were roughly $40-$60 more than their counterparts without night sights. Definitely the better way to go.

While I have everyone's attention...Is having the trigger pull reduced to 4lb worthwhile or is it kind of unneccessary? I know this is kind of a subjective question, but I was wondering if it was an amazing difference. (for that matter what is the SA pull of an XD without modification?)
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:40:28 AM EDT
[#12]
The standard trigger pull is 5.5-7.7lbs per SA.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Reducing the trigger pull will more than likely make a huge difference. The trigger in a stock XD does take some gettin used to, but once you get used to it, its a deadly gun.

I am more than likely going to get a trigger job done on mine eventually, but this is when I get another gun for carrying.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:I am more than likely going to get a trigger job done on mine eventually, but this is when I get another gun for carrying.

Are you saying this because you dont want to be gunless while the trigger job is being done...or are you saying this because you dont think a trigger job is something you would want on your CCW gun?

Thanks.

-RJH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top