Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 12/19/2005 3:06:18 PM EDT
I have a full size USP .45 that I bought from a friend in the law enforcemnet community. He told me that he was selling it because he didn't like a certain aspect about the trigger pull, because it would interfere with his line of work(he is SWAT) At first I figured that it wouldn't be an issue for me since i'm not risking my life every day. Well,  yesterday i went to the local range and while shooting the USP, noticed that the trigger pull was kind of ruff. After a couple of shots it felt as if the trigger would lock just before the full range of motion, thus not firing the bullet without  using an excesive amount of force. I put the gun down unloaded it and stripped it and cleaned it. The problem continued...Does anyone have similar problems or advice??

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#1]
my question is, did anyone or bubba work on the trigger? sounds like someone muck up the gun, perhaps by "polishing" something.
or you could try spraying some lubrication in the frame where the hammer and all that sit.

my USP 45 trigger is not rough, you could also take it apart and look for abnormal wear on the parts. i have a pic of it taken apart.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree, sounds like someone mucked around in there or something.  None of mine exhibit anything like you mention.  IMO a trip to HK is in order to have things put right.  If by chance nobody has mucked around inside if you do not mention the pistol is second hand I bet HK will fix it under warranty.  Best thing to come out of the Clinton era: don't ask, don't tell.
Call Mark Osborn at HK-USA CS and get a RA number and let them take a look at it.  You will need to give mark the serial number but there is no need to give him the history of it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Hello 223haiku,

Your best bet is probably to send it back to HK.

But if you are comfortable with detail stripping the HK USP (it voids the warranty) just to have look, here is link to some condensed and very detailed info.

http://www.brandywineits.net/HK/

My USP had a really gritty DA and SA pull so I had a closer look and noticed that the top contact surface of the trigger bar which contacts the  Hammer Axle was quite rough. The trigger bar is stamped sheet metal and that  part of trigger bar which was stamp cut had a very pitted surface. Just looking at it was easy to visually see the roughness felt at different stages of the trigger pull.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a problem with the trigger too, problem being is that the trigger is not metal.  I don't know why, but it really bothers me and I can't believe nobody has come out with a damn metal trigger for these pistols.

Other than that, my trigger has always worked fine.  Yeah it might be a little gritty but I've experienced a lot worse.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:15:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a full size USP .45 that I bought from a friend in the law enforcemnet community. He told me that he was selling it because he didn't like a certain aspect about the trigger pull, because it would interfere with his line of work(he is SWAT) At first I figured that it wouldn't be an issue for me since i'm not risking my life every day. Well,  yesterday i went to the local range and while shooting the USP, noticed that the trigger pull was kind of ruff. After a couple of shots it felt as if the trigger would lock just before the full range of motion, thus not firing the bullet without  using an excesive amount of force. I put the gun down unloaded it and stripped it and cleaned it. The problem continued...Does anyone have similar problems or advice??

A couple of possibles.

Have you been or somone else, cleaned with break cleaner or one of the gun scrub type cleaners.  I found that my USP .45 will bind if cleaned this way.

I suggest doing a VERY good cleaning and make sure all of the trigger pivots and trigger bar are well lubricated with CLP. Remember, CLP will continue to break down combustion deposits while just sitting on the internals.

This cured my USP's rough trigger problems. Well that and about 6000 rounds.

Good luck,
D.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all, very much. I'm going to clean it very well and use cpl on it. If the problem insists then, i'll send it to HK.

Thanks again. -223
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I havent seen this mentioned but he didnt some how use the magwell lock to lock the pistol and then tried to fire it with out unlocking it (forgot about it etc etc) and when he fired he squeezed and broke the lock?
I know in my manual it says you can over power it and that the gun could still function..just broke
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I havent seen this mentioned but he didnt some how use the magwell lock to lock the pistol and then tried to fire it with out unlocking it (forgot about it etc etc) and when he fired he squeezed and broke the lock?
I know in my manual it says you can over power it and that the gun could still function..just broke

He was shooting it, so we know the hammer strut wasn't bent because of the lock. if it's damaged, i think he would've had problem with pulling the slide back, and not being able to fire live round.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#9]
My hammer strut was bent and I had no problem pulling the trigger, racking the slide, or firing.  It wasn't bent much, just enough to keep an empty mag from dropping free.  It is fixed now and you can't tell the difference except the mag will drop free now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Sell it and buy a compact
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top