Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/12/2005 4:42:59 PM EDT
I have a Kimber Custom TLE. The trigger pull is very light. But I would like it to be even lighter. Do any of you guys know of any good places to do this for me?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:37:18 PM EDT
Virgil Tripp, also does great refinishing. Very reasonable prices, fast turnaround time. He did an excellent trigger job for me on my Valltro when I sent it in to be hard chromed.

Link to Tripp's
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:09:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2005 3:10:15 PM EDT by TravisJ1]
Not sure on the custom TLE, but both my Kimbers have adjustable trigger pull.

Or are you saying that even after adjusting its not light enough?

Travis
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:17:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TravisJ1:

Travis

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but are you saying your Kimbers are adjustable for pull weight? I wouldn't bother saying anything, but I hate to see someone give out information that could be potentially ahzardous to someone else.

That little screw in the trigger is for overtravel, and has no effect on pull weight or amount of creep. They also have an internal adjustment on some of their triggers for takeup. Adjusting your overtravel screw can be a bad thing. If you adjust out too much, a little dirt can cause the gun to be non functional. It's worse in a Series 80 Colt, where the gun can either fail to fire or partially disassemble itself.

The only 1911s that I'm aware of that are easily adjustable for weight of pull are guns equipped with an aftermarket mainspring housing and mainspring. Pull weight is adjusted at the mainspring housing on these, not the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:36:09 PM EDT
Weight of pull is mostly set by the sear spring center leg. There are other factors like hammer hook length, mainspring tension, trigger drag and others. If you don't have the know how on bending the sear spring or how to check for a safe trigger job, TAKE IT TO A SMITH.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:14:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hobbs5624:

Originally Posted By TravisJ1:

Travis

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but are you saying your Kimbers are adjustable for pull weight? I wouldn't bother saying anything, but I hate to see someone give out information that could be potentially ahzardous to someone else.

That little screw in the trigger is for overtravel, and has no effect on pull weight or amount of creep. They also have an internal adjustment on some of their triggers for takeup. Adjusting your overtravel screw can be a bad thing. If you adjust out too much, a little dirt can cause the gun to be non functional. It's worse in a Series 80 Colt, where the gun can either fail to fire or partially disassemble itself.

The only 1911s that I'm aware of that are easily adjustable for weight of pull are guns equipped with an aftermarket mainspring housing and mainspring. Pull weight is adjusted at the mainspring housing on these, not the trigger.

Your not a jerk, and thank you Hobbs, I just got schoolled.

Your a deffinitely correct, and I have never messed with that screw.

Sorry about that Gary, dont listen to me!

THANKS agian hobbs.

Travis
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:08:48 PM EDT

TAKE IT TO A SMITH.

That is what I was looking for. Sorry if my post was misleading. I am looking for a good smith, or shop I can send it to. Wondering on prices and stuff like that. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:29:49 AM EDT
Repeat:

Virgil Tripp, also does great refinishing. Very reasonable prices, fast turnaround time. He did an excellent trigger job for me on my Valltro when I sent it in to be hard chromed.

Link to Tripp's
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:18:03 AM EDT
Tripp's customer service, product, and reputation are outstanding. There are just too many good smiths to even begin to recommend just one. In Ohio is Kurt Wickmann, who is simply phenominal. Unfotunately, his website no longer exists, leading me to wonder if he is no longer in business. Check the American Handgunner Club 100, as well as the American Pistolsmith's Guild website.
Top Top