Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 5:59:33 AM EDT
Long story short, slide bit the dust 2 months ago, sent back for repair, called yesterday still no replacement part available. (Trailsides' have been discontunied, parts allready hard to get) They are going to give me a full refund, now I have to decide between Ruger 5.5 heavy or Browning 5.5 heavy. What would you do? Any and all imput appreciated.  

Chief
Edit to add:
 Called CS today to get the refund details, they made me an offer of a new SiG Pro 2022 in 40 S&W even up. I went for it. Great CS.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#1]
well that's a shame.  honestly between the Ruger and the Browning, I'd see which one fits my hand better.  you really cannot go wrong either way so just find the one that feels best
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:55:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know why so many companies have a difficult time making decent .22 pistols. My Walther P-22 was a POS, I never heard many good things about the Trailslide, and so far the Mosquito isn't looking good either. My 20 year old Ruger is still going strong, the Buckmarks are good, and the Berettas are good as well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea, it's going to be a tough choice. I have owned both in the past, both were fine. On that note, I owned a ruger back in "69" or "70", have they made any changes, or are they still a PIA to take apart?

Chief
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. Exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Just was on ruger site, I see thier newer models have a magazine dissconect. Don't like that, no sir, don't like that at all.

Chief
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#6]
What is a magazine disconnect?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I wonder how many other people have had experiences similar to yours.

I helped convince my father (recently departed God rest his soul) to buy the Trailside instead of the P22. I had caught some of the rumblings here about the P22 being a POS.  

It'a shame that a company like Sig can't make a quality .22
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#8]
another one to look at is the S&W 22A, I've got one that is very accurate and very reliable.  not sure if I got the one good one out of the bunch or not though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Browning Buckmark Camper gets my vote. Comes with everything you need already installed. Trigger is awesome right out the box.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#10]
What a dissconect does is stop you from fireing your handgun if by chance you should lose your mag. You cannot load a single round in chamber and fire unless the mag is inserted. IMO not a good feature in a survival situation.
Will take a look at the smith for sure. Sure like the looks of the new brownings', but being from the old school, those fiber optic front sights make me cringe!

Chief

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#11]
jake-t-snake
Fine looking weapon you have there. Whats your approx. round count? Does it have the mag dissconect?

Chief
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Spend a little more and get a lot more: Smith & Wesson Model 41. Awesomely accurate right out of the box. 5" and 7-1/2" barrels available, and some quality after market barrels, too.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks but, $1,100. for a smith 41 is a lot more than a little more!!

Chief
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw a company on tv called Tactical Solutions that makes souped up Brownings and Rugers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
... What would you do? ...

Me, myself, personally?

I’d be looking for a nice used High Standard.  

Barring that, I’d go for a Browning unless I indented to do really trick out the thing, in which case the Ruger is the obvious choice.

However, I dislike the fact that to remove the slide on the Browning you have to remove two screws, one of which screws into the aluminum frame.  At some point those threads are going to get worn.  

Quoted:
... a severe case of leading within a few hundred rounds, enough to keyhole and nearly miss the target at 25 feet!...

Saw of the new Colt’s (polymer frame) doing that at the local range at about the same distance.  I’m still wondering how it possibly became that fouled  (I’m also grateful I don’t have to clean all that lead out – it’d probably be easier just to buy a new barrel!).
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Ditto the vote for High Standard. My Victor (mfg circa 1978) is a wonderful pistol. The new ones look just as sharp.

True indeed that all these great names (Walther, SIG, etc) having trouble making a decent .22 is tragic.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Browning Buckmark Camper gets my vote. Comes with everything you need already installed. Trigger is awesome right out the box.

i14.photobucket.com/albums/a315/Ujak/DSCF0177.jpg

Not a Camper. That's a Target model.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I bet it looked pretty sitting in the dealer's glass case.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It'a shame that a company like Sig can't make a quality .22

SIG didn't make it,  Hammerli did.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Thanks guys. Exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Just was on ruger site, I see thier newer models have a magazine dissconect. Don't like that, no sir, don't like that at all.

Chief

The Buckmarks have a mag disconnect too.

They are both very easy to remove if you want.

For me, getting the side magazine release on the MKIII was worth having to remove the mag disconnect. I hate the heel mag release on the MKII.

The MKIIIs have a stupid loaded chamber indicator and key lock too, but they are easy to ignore and don't impede function like a mag disconnect does. The key lock can be disabled by replacing the takedown pin/arm assembly with a MKII one.

If you're getting a 22/45, I would definitely get a MKII.

I don't like Buckmarks because they require an allen wrench to take down. Pretty annoying if you ask me, even more than the Ruger's odd takedown mechanism.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I would get the Ruger but simply from my opinion on how the grip feels not the quality or reliability being higher or lower on either. I want a 22/45.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#23]
CZ Kadet
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks again for the imput. I did edit my orignal post to add they made me an offer for a new sig pro 2022 40 S&W even up. For better or worse I went for it. Being a died in the wool fan of the 1911 platform, I know little or nothing of the world of plastic. Chris in CS said I won't be sorry, guess I'll find out next week. Thanks again,

Chief
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I just bought a Beretta NEOS 6". It is a great shooter.

I'm very happy with it and the price was pretty good.  

I had a few Buckmarks they are junk.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow, they gave you an SP2022.  Thats freaking awesome.  Enjoy it, great gun!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Congrats on a good trade, sorry your trailside went tits up on you though.  I sent my first one back and it took nine months to receive a new pistol.  Shame was the original was a 4.5" with a glass rod trigger, just corrosion under the finish on the slide and failure to lock open, and the replacement was a 6" with a pretty mushy trigger.  Oh well.

When you are ready for a .22, look at a Buckmark.  My Camper is as accurate as the trailside but MUCH more reliable with any ammo, and it fits the hand great.  Love it.

Sig Pros kick ass though.  My friend's trigger on his is better than the one on my 229.  One of the most underrated pistols out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top