Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 6:21:28 PM EDT
This was my first deer with a handgun.  It's a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum (iron sights).  She was 30 yards, slightly quartering away.  She dropped in her tracks when I shot.

http://www.zee-oh-six.com/temp/ruger.jpg
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice deer and congrats on your first handgun deer.

I just finished loading 100 rds of 240 hard cast lead SWC over 10gr of Unique for a little target practice and hopefully my first handgun deer as well.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  It was definitely harder than I thought it was going to be but that just made the outcome even sweeter.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh, the deer was your average west texas doe, weighing about 105-110 pounds.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#4]
How far forward was the exit? In front of or behind the shoulder?

I was going to say you shot her pretty far back, but then I re-read the part about quartering away. Good shooting.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#5]
The exit was in the lower left shoulder.  Took out the lungs on the way through.

...and thanks.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice!  I was hoping for a similar opportunity, but it never came.  Fortunately I did get to shoot a coyote at 20 yards with my unscoped .44 Magnum Redhawk as a concolation prize!  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats!  I'd almost rather shoot hogs and coyotes than deer at this point in my shooting career.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Good deal.

I've only shot one deer with a handgun out of about 50 that I've killed. I shot a button buck about 9 years ago with a scoped Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Magnum. I was walking through a creek bottom, jumped up three deer, and this one got confused, ran into the edge of the field, and stopped to look for the others. One shot and it slumped right where it stood.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice. I have been wanting to pop a deer with a pistol for a long time. I took my .44 last year but the opportunity didn't present itself.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Good deer and good shooting.It's very rewarding to finally take your first deer with a handgun.I shot a boar on a hunt in Tenn. with a Super Blackhawk in the late seventies.I took my first deer a few years ago,a 10 point at 20-25 yds., with a S&W 629 classic.After that I traded for a Ruger Super Redhawk and put a Leopold 4x on it.It's very accurate and I took an 8 point at 50 yds.,plus several others since.I too did not do any good this past deer season except for a coyote at 90 steps.The coyote dropped like a rock.Good luck ,because now you are hooked in a very rewarding sport.I hope the best for you in future hunts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top