Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/31/2006 7:55:11 PM EDT
When you guys have your pistols at home and in the drawer, on the shelf, under the bed, etc. do you keep a cap in the chamber, or leave it empty?

I don't personally like the idea of keeping a round chambered, because it takes a split second to rack it. I know that some of you will say that split second could make all the difference in the world if/when you need to use it, but I'm just curious.

Thanks fellas!
Meat
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:56:12 PM EDT
cocked & locked.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:57:50 PM EDT
if its in a holster and/or on my person, its chambered (condition 1)

if its in the safe, its in condition 3
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:59:13 PM EDT
CCW=one in the chamber

At home I keep my handguns locked up when not in use. I much prefer a Shotgun with #1 buckshot that I keep somewhere close at-hand
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:07:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/31/2006 8:07:56 PM EDT by triburst1]

Originally Posted By Msokol13:
I much prefer a Shotgun with #1 buckshot that I keep somewhere close at-hand

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:07:20 PM EDT
Ya, I keep one in the chamber.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:08:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/31/2006 8:09:34 PM EDT by Msokol13]

Originally Posted By triburst1:

Originally Posted By Msokol13:
I much prefer a Shotgun with #1 buckshot that I keep somewhere close at-hand

Triburst you bastard {j/k}

Edited to add: remember you didnt CONVINCE me to switch....I CHOSE to switch
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:23:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:25:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SGB:

Originally Posted By CLand72:
When you guys have your pistols at home and in the drawer, on the shelf, under the bed, etc. do you keep a cap in the chamber, or leave it empty?

I don't personally like the idea of keeping a round chambered, because it takes a split second to rack it. I know that some of you will say that split second could make all the difference in the world if/when you need to use it, but I'm just curious.

Thanks fellas!
Meat

Why not?

And gives away your position in the process along with any tactical advantage you may have had.

but...but...They always do it on TV to scarethe bad guy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:30:24 PM EDT
One in the chamber...anything less would be unloaded.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:53:14 PM EDT
Where is Darm?

Anways, I keep whatever pistol that is handy loaded with one in the chamber

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:57:39 PM EDT
CCW I keep it loaded.

Next to my bed, mag in the well, but round out of the chamber. I sometimes move when I sleep.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:12:48 AM EDT
CCW Condition 1. All else in safe. In the safe the AR & 12 Gauge are loaded, all else unloaded.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:22:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RED_5:
cocked & locked.

+1
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:04:52 AM EDT

I have a License to Carry , That gun is Always loaded.

Also , when I am home , I usually have a second loaded weapon handy.

All other firearms are stored securely- unloaded.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:22:27 AM EDT
Sounds like a lack of familiarity and training coupled with too much time spent in front of the TV watching how Hollywood does things.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:24:58 AM EDT
Chamber Empty.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:26:45 AM EDT
Cocked and Locked
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:40:12 AM EDT
If you live in an area where you have to sleep with a cocked and locked 1911, May I suggest you either MOVE to a safe area to live or at least secure your prerimeter better that would give you enough time to figure out just WTF is going on.

Dead bolt, motion lights security cameras, slient alarms, heat sensors are really cheap these days.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:38:56 AM EDT
Gregory You bring up all those safety/security precautions but you say a loaded gun is overboard, its just another security tool...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:58:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gregory_K:
If you live in an area where you have to sleep with a cocked and locked 1911, May I suggest you either MOVE to a safe area to live or at least secure your prerimeter better that would give you enough time to figure out just WTF is going on.

Dead bolt, motion lights security cameras, slient alarms, heat sensors are really cheap these days.

true....but even the "safe areas" get affected by crime and violence--may not be as frequent as a crappy neighborhood, but it happens just as well and as violent as any other place
a BG breaking into your home in a good neighborhood will be just as bad as one in the ghetto

no to get into a argument, but its like carrying a spare tire --your car may have new tires, and you keep your vehical on clean, paved road, but even new tires puncture and clean, paved roads have thier little nails/trash, sharp curves, and what not that can give you a flat

random sh*t happens anywhere, you cant pick or predict it--you can lighten the odds, but you cant stop 100% of em

+1 on a secure prerimiter
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:09:41 AM EDT

If you live in an area where you have to sleep with a cocked and locked 1911, May I suggest you either MOVE to a safe area to live....

Home invasions and burglaries don't usually happen in the trailer parks and ghettos. They tend to happen medium to upper class neighborhoods where the intruders can actually steal something of value. It wouldn't do much good to break into houses to load up on malt liquor and old scratch off tickets.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:35:48 AM EDT

If you live in an area where you have to sleep with a cocked and locked 1911, May I suggest you either MOVE to a safe area to live....

Home invasions and burglaries don't usually happen in the trailer parks and ghettos. They tend to happen medium to upper class neighborhoods where the intruders can actually steal something of value. It wouldn't do much good to break into houses to load up on malt liquor and old scratch off tickets.

I guess i am safe then.

personally I use a an old 870 rem marine mag with 00buck. I just dont sleep with it, but it is close.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:54:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2006 7:58:50 AM EDT by VBC]
Just remember, a chambered gun won't shoot by itself. I think it's merely a psychological perception to think an unchambered gun with a loaded mag is somehow safer.

If somebody can pull the trigger, they can also rack the slide, so keeping it unchambered with a loaded mag in it is not worth the tactical disadvantage it places on you in terms of any gains in "safety"

Also, having to rack the slide introduces just one more possibility for mechanical failure between you and shooting your bad guy.

If you practice good gun handling practice, then you are much better off with a chambered round, ready for use, in your defense gun.

Just like going hunting. You keep one in the chamber when looking for your quarry. Think of it as always being on the "hunt" when it comes to your personal protection.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:55:35 AM EDT

That is so true. They rarely steal from their own neighbors. It's sort of like the Robin Hood mentality.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:21:44 AM EDT

Apparently , so are the lives of you and your loved ones
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:16:42 PM EDT
If the gun's in a holster, I don't see why it wouldn't have a round in the chamber unless there are kids running around. To each his own I guess. Hopefully it won't cost you your life.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:32:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 7:22:46 AM EDT by CLand72]
'
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:05:35 AM EDT
Very mature response........
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:21:50 PM EDT
I keep my Smithy revolver fully loaded (condition 1?). I keep my M4gery loaded, but the chamber empty (condition 2?)
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:36:11 PM EDT
There was a situation a while back -

We live in an apartment. We were up around 3am watching a movie. The intercom buzzed. I ignored it because there is absolutely no one I know that would do this. They buzzed again. I pushed the "listen" button. Someone said "hello?". I didn't recognize the voice. I stayed silent. Another buzz. I got angry. This could go on all night. Someone without a key was trying to get into the building, running their hands up and down the buttons to buzz apartments, hoping someone would just hit the button inside their apartment that unlocked the front door. I got on the intercom and sad some angry words, asking what they wanted. He "apologized" and asked for my apartment number so he wouldn't buzz me again, said some bullshit about needing to get in. I told them cut the shit and to go to a pay phone and call whoever it was they wanted to visit, and if they didn't knock it off I'd call the cops. A short while later they were in the hallway talking loudly ("inner city talk"), talking about some guy who wouldn't let them in the building. Maybe four of them.

The doors to these apartments are nothing to trust. They were in that hallway talking to each other and someone maybe in an apartment nearby, and on the phone, for a long time. So here was the situation. We shut out the lights so it looked like we were not up, since this was around 3am, and light would show beneath the door. The guns were in the safe. I got a flashlight, unlocked the safe, took a loaded mag for the DAO Taurus and put it in the gun. I didn't rack the slide. Now that was unprepared of me wasn't it? Any sounds we made louder than a whisper would be heard in the hallway. We were sitting in the dark, getting our night vision, wondering where this might lead. I didn't rack the slide because of the sound it'd make, so I was counting on the time to rack it if they got crazy and decided to bust in (I don't believe they knew I was who wouldn't let them in - it was a general concern because of their talk and behavior in trying to get into the building without a key). If the gun had been loaded and ready in the safe or loaded and ready in the room we would have been better prepared. I eventually took a chance and racked the slide to load a round in the chamber. I didn't think of this sound as a warning to possible intruders, but rather a signal to them that we were up. I didn't want to be on their radar at all. Act tough today, get ambushed tomorrow. No thanks. Nothing came of it. They eventually left. But it could have turned out otherwise.

I vote for a round in the chamber. Stealth may be vital to your survival.

GL
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:06:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 9:15:19 AM EDT by KCMojo]
In Order of hand placement.
Safe in master walk in quick open elec. Batt changed reg.
Moss 590 5-00 in 8 tube. Chaber empty, rack open. Flashlight attached. Gun Safe.
S&W 4013 DA Chambered, safe, decocked, full clip. Holstered w. 2nd clip. Gun safe.
BM AR 15 M4gery Tactical Bag, Unchambered, Closed Bolt, no mag. 5/6 Loaded Mags in bag (20n30). Gun safe.
Ammo Bag w. shells, .40, .223, Ar Mags.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:40:31 AM EDT

Where is Darm?

Darm was out giving handgun classes this weekend.
In response to the thread, however, the mantra is still the same:
There are advantages and disadvantages to chamber empty carry and chamber loaded carry. In reality neither seems to matter much, and the shooter should look carefully at both and make a determination that best fits their particular needs. Historically autos have been carried chamber empty, and still are carried chamber empty in some of the real hot spots in the world. During all this time nobody has shown any real disadvantage to the chamber empty condition, although lots of folks who have no real knowledge of the issue propose lots of imaginary "what if" problems. As an interesting side issue, I had a fellow from Afghanistan with me this weekend who carried chamber empty, and his take on it was that while virtually all males that he knew of over there who carried none carried with the chamber loaded, and that doing so was considered to be foolish and the mark of an inexperienced and/or untrained fighter.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:47:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By darm441:

Where is Darm?

In response to the thread, however, the mantra is still the same:
There are advantages and disadvantages to chamber empty carry and chamber loaded carry. In reality neither seems to matter much, and the shooter should look carefully at both and make a determination that best fits their particular needs. Historically autos have been carried chamber empty, and still are carried chamber empty in some of the real hot spots in the world. During all this time nobody has shown any real disadvantage to the chamber empty condition, although lots of folks who have no real knowledge of the issue propose lots of imaginary "what if" problems. As an interesting side issue, I had a fellow from Afghanistan with me this weekend who carried chamber empty, and his take on it was that while virtually all males that he knew of over there who carried none carried with the chamber loaded, and that doing so was considered to be foolish and the mark of an inexperienced and/or untrained fighter.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:17:21 AM EDT
My XD40 is kept in condition 2 for Home defense.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:22:52 AM EDT
one in the pipe.

I was informed in my CCW class that the average reaction time in a self defense situation is 1.5 seconds. This is from the time you realize there is a threat, to the time it's too late.

if you dont have one in the pipe you are FUBARed

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:27:19 AM EDT
An unloaded pistol is an expensive rock.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:10:58 PM EDT
cocked and locked

i know you dont agree with my opinion but what good is an unloaded gun?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:21:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SP3NC3:
one in the pipe.

I was informed in my CCW class that the average reaction time in a self defense situation is 1.5 seconds. This is from the time you realize there is a threat, to the time it's too late.

if you dont have one in the pipe you are FUBARed

21 feet

Unless the gun is in hand and you are ready it may not matter. Best to learn other skills and not depend soley on things that go bang.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:05:46 PM EDT
One in the chamber. All guns in the safe are unloaded.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:08:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By darm441:
There are advantages and disadvantages to chamber empty carry and chamber loaded carry.

I'd like you to list a few advantages to an empty chamber. Just big general ones. No assessment, none of that. Just some genearl advantages.

Like this: An advantage to a loaded chamber would be: a weapon ready to go as soon as it clears the holster.

Ok, now you go, darm. A disadvantage to loaded chamber would be: Fill in the blank

Originally Posted By darm441:As an interesting side issue, I had a fellow from Afghanistan with me this weekend who carried chamber empty, and his take on it was that while virtually all males that he knew of over there who carried none carried with the chamber loaded, and that doing so was considered to be foolish and the mark of an inexperienced and/or untrained fighter.

I sure hope you don't mean to say an American soldier told you this about himslef and others. If that's the case, we've got a hell of alot of unfuckingprofessional SF in the area, and they should be sternly challenged. More likely it was an actually a fuckin Afghan you were talking to.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:40:17 PM EDT
CCW piece is loaded and it has got a safety so it ain't locked. It is always hot! *shows finger* this is my safety! (shame on you guys that guessed the wrong finger.
For my home defense weapon (commando type AR) there is no round in the chamber. My theory is it is a lot easier for a groggy home owner to simply charge the weapon that to flip the lever to safe. (remember fine motor movement are more demanding than gross motor movement when in less than ideal physical state)
Oh, it is alos far easier to know if you actually pulled and released a charging handle then to know if you really did hit the lever and flip it forward.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:19:46 PM EDT
Chamber loaded.

I use the same handgun for home defense that I carry. Hey, if it's good enough to trust my life, it's good enough.

It makes no sense to me to maintain the gun in two separate conditions. I train the same way I carry. Chamber loaded, hammer down, safety on (DA 9mm). My intent is to only have one way to put the pistol into use (safety off, go). Anything else makes no sese to me.

If I carried with the chamber empty, that's how I'd have it at home. I don't, so I leave it exactly how I carry it. No mistakes, no thinking, no extra actions. If I ever have to use the pistol, it will be in the exact same manner, no matter what, when, or where I am.

Having different systems or different procedures is a system pending failure at the wrong time.

Secondarily, not unloading and reloading the chamber several times a day depending on when I'm home or going out minimizes the chance of an AD. If you aren't screwing with your loaded pistol, you're less likely to have an accident. I get home, I take the gun out and put it on the nightstand. I leave home I grab it off the nightstand and put it in the holster.

For me simple is safe.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:54:17 PM EDT
I am for Cocked and Locked as a night stand gun as long as it is in a drawer. I think I read on another foum were the phone rang in the middle of the night and the guy woke up to a loaded glock to the side of his head.

If its in a drawer next to your bed then I think that it is still relatively quick to get to but still takes some level of awareness. But maybe neither if you have children.
Top Top