Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2003 11:30:04 PM EDT
hi guys,
i'm thinking of buying an xd.I have an hk usp 40 and i love it. how well does the xd shoot?
is it a good pistol? any info would be helpful.
thanks
john
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#1]
John,

I own both the XD9 and XD Subcompact.  I also own a Glock 19, traded in my Glock 26 for the subcompact.  Both XD's function great.  I like the additional safety features on the XD9. If the pistol fits your hand and you like it, you will also be pleased with how it shoots.

You might want to visit the XD forums.  See link below (XD was first imported as the HS 2000 before Springfield decided to add it to its pistol line)

www.hs2000talk.com
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#2]
thank you doctor, how reliable is the weapon?
it seems like a good pistol for the price.
john
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up my xd9sub 2 weeks ago and ran a 500round break in through it that I do to everyone of my semi's.  Not one problem.  Shooting gold dots, rem +p's, speer lawman, UMC, federal hydrashoks, winchester white box, CCI blazer.  It gobbled em all up.  

Very nice little pistol and for 430 bucks it's hard to beat.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
i agree vermilion sounds great for the price.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought mine today in service (4") trim in 40 S&W with an extra magazine,  Nice alternative to the Glocks I was shooting and considering buying.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:03:27 AM EDT
[#6]
i'm thnking of getting the black and od green  in 40 cal
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i'm thnking of getting the black and od green  in 40 cal

Like this one?  
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:22:07 AM EDT
[#8]
looks good how does she work for ya?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
looks good how does she work for ya?

www.hs2000talk.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002896
I just installed Don's guide rod and a Wolff spring #49322 and the decrease in noticeable recoil was amazing.  I also noticed an improvement in accuracy.  I would now say the recoil with the .40S&W is equal to my XD9 with +P Speer gold dot ammo which is very mild to me.  I love the XD9 but the XD40 sleeps next to me and is the more accurate of the 2.  YMMV
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:34:24 PM EDT
[#10]
sweet, how much did your xd 40 run you?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I just bought my XD-40(XD9102)yesterday for $439.95 at my local. This was the only one in stock in a 65 mile radius. I don't know why supply is so short around here, but the dealer said they were all allocated for weeks. I just love the grip and feeling of quality that you don't get with a Glock. By the way, I was considering a Glock, but the BF thing, and the fact that a guy at the local range lost part of his right hand when one blew up on him, turned me completely off to Glocks. Just my 2.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#12]
FWIW, I picked up a ported .40 three weeks or so ago, and have put about 1500 rounds through it, all using my cast bullets. No failures of any kind, but muffs are required. Velocity of loads tested so far run around 870 fps from the XD and around 905 from the Beretta 96.A surprise, considering about an inch and a half of unported XD barrel compared to almost five inches on the Beretta.

Both shoot well out to 200 yards, capable of hits on coyote-sized target to that range. No, not every shot's a hit, but as we like to say "I sure wouldn't want to be standing out there." I much prefer the construction and ease of maintenance of the XD compared to my only Glock, a G27.

IMHO, it's not a "good" pistol for the price, it's a "superb" pistol for the price.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I paid $359 with tax for my XD9 sub-compact brand new and in box about three weeks ago and have 1200 rounds of winchester bulkpack through it without a single hic-up. This little pistol is fast becoming my favorite!

BKVic
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I was at the range breaking in my new Hi Power last night and took my first gen HS200 with me because somebody once told me that you could fit many rounds of 9mm in a 40 mag.  Well my friend has an XD 40 and he loaded up one of his mags with some 9mm and tried my gun.  Not a single problem.  I don't know whether that is kosher or not so I'm going to stick with my Beretta 92 mags until the ban expires next year.  But from I could see, worked flawlessly.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#15]
HiramRanger

It is totaly legal to do and the guys over on the XD website have been doing it for awhile. Ive got a copy of a letter that one of the guys got back from the BATF from a Curtis H.A. Bartlett, Cheif of the Firearms Technology Branch and he says it is totaly legal to do this. I too was weary of doing this until I read the letter.

BKVic
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone know of other hi-cap mags that fit the .40? I have been thinking of getting one myself.

Bob
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#17]
BKVic, if you would be so kind as to email me a copy of that letter I would be greatly appreciative!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Hiram and anyone else who is interested:

Here is a copy of the letter in PDF format. Print it out and keep a copy - whoever has it on aol now may not keep it there forever.

members.aol.com/hs2000fanatic/letter.pdf

(Hopefully this letter can be thrown away september 14th, 2004.)
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#19]
bastiat, thank you!  Any idea what other pistols this works with?  Glocks?  Sigs?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Thats the letter I have. I did print it out so Id have it if I couldnt find a copy of it later.

BKVic
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I have heard some mention of glock inter compatibility, but since I don't own one, I never paid attention.

Gotta hand it to the Croats on this one, they were really thinking to make sure this pistols maintained high-cap compatibility  not only with different calibers, but with different pistols that had inexpensive high caps as well (beretta 92, S&W 5906, etc)
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#22]

I just installed Don's guide rod and a Wolff spring #49322 and the decrease in noticeable recoil was amazing.  I also noticed an improvement in accuracy.  I would now say the recoil with the .40S&W is equal to my XD9 with +P Speer gold dot ammo which is very mild to me.  I love the XD9 but the XD40 sleeps next to me and is the more accurate of the 2.  YMMV

Damn you...you've just cost me more $$ on something I have to buy!  I was reading about those the other day...I'm wondering if it's worth it for a 9mm, since they don't kick that much anyway.  I think the look of that guide rod is pretty cool, though.

I'm wondering if taming recoil from a 9mm would increase the likelihood of FTEs or FTFs?

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Hi!  I'm the Don in "Don's Guide Rod".  I don't see the need for the heavier spring in in the 9mm, but some that have tried the 22# spring in the 9mm seem to like it, with no feed or fire problems.  The ejection places the brass about 2-3ft. with factory Winchester white box (as a sample).  So while that is close to having problems, but still seems to be reliable.
The looks are nice (even though I am biased), the rod is stainless and the washer is a low friction bronze.  The washer both centers the rod and retains the spring since the slide has a large hole for the factory spring assembly.  You can use springs for the Springfield Compact (1911 derivative) without any modifications, the parts are drop in.
But aside from that, it seems to be a well crafted pistol and is fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#24]
i'm still saving for one of these babys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top