Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2006 12:12:22 AM EST
Well I’ve seen and heard great things about the Ruger Mark I-III's. I am posting here to ask which one you would get under the following:

-It will be getting banged up, riding with me on ATV trails.
-Needs to be very accurate up to 10 yards, and would like it to be up to 50 yards.
-Up to $450... unless one is that much better for more $.
-Not sure what barrel to get, or how long. Or which I,II,III

Let me know if I am overlooking something.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 12:23:10 AM EST
I have a 22/45 that meets your criteria. I have a Red Dot (don't remember the brand) sight on it. It looks tacticool, and can hit anything I put the dot on! Takes a clangin' and keeps on bangin'! Mine has a bull barrel, too.

I oughta post pics on this site sometime.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 2:20:05 AM EST
not to be OT

how about a single six convertible(22lr\22mag).options there

IMHO,much more rugged than any bottom feeder

clown

Link Posted: 10/19/2006 2:48:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By clown714:
not to be OT

how about a single six convertible(22lr\22mag).options there

IMHO,much more rugged than any bottom feeder

clown

We have a Hi-Standard Sport King that we use all the time. I wanted something like it, but new, the Ruger Mark is just that... just not sure which one to get. One that meets all the above
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 3:03:04 AM EST
The only one you can get new is MK III. Unless you can find some dealers with leftover MK II's. A KMK512 should do. It's stainless with a 5.5" bull barrel. I've got a MK III Hunter which I like and 2 govt. competition models (KMK678GC) MK II. The last one I picked up on sale for $329. I couldn't pass that deal up since there are very few MK II's left. Some people don't like the grip angle of the MK and prefer the 22/45 (similar to 1911) grip angle. I would check them both out and see which on you like.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 3:20:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By jlterry:
The only one you can get new is MK III. Unless you can find some dealers with leftover MK II's. A KMK512 should do. It's stainless with a 5.5" bull barrel. I've got a MK III Hunter which I like and 2 govt. competition models (KMK678GC) MK II. The last one I picked up on sale for $329. I couldn't pass that deal up since there are very few MK II's left. Some people don't like the grip angle of the MK and prefer the 22/45 (similar to 1911) grip angle. I would check them both out and see which on you like.

I haven't tried the 22/45 yet! but the sport king we have is like the Mark's.

As far as the "new" i said, i ment newer than our sport king which is 30+ years old. If i can find a good deal on a nice Ruger .22 new/used i'll take it.

I'm manly asking what barrel i should get, but if i get a bull barrel then the sights will be more prone to be off after riding on trails?? and what length?? (yeah longer is better but is a 6" going to be that much better than a 5". You get the idea... thanks
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 12:35:43 AM EST

Originally Posted By YaMaMa:
I'm manly asking what barrel i should get, but if i get a bull barrel then the sights will be more prone to be off after riding on trails?? and what length?? (yeah longer is better but is a 6" going to be that much better than a 5". You get the idea... thanks

I can't imagine why the bull barrel sights would be more abused than a regular barrel. If it is an issue, I'd get or make a more durable holster so that it won't get abused. I made one for my 22/45 from an old black powder pistol holster. Also, a bull barrel won't flex as much as a standard barrel if you should, say, fall on the pistol.

Clown714 also suggested a Ruger Single-Six, which can fire either .22 LR or .22 Magnum. Probably similar prices. I have one and love to shoot it!
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 12:40:14 AM EST
I have a 10'' ss mark 2 with target grips bull love it. Can hit a tennis ball at 100 yard off a bench. shoots and ammo what not to love.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 2:10:17 PM EST
The only real improvment in the mkIII is the mag release, everything else is just lawyer improvements.
If I were buying a trail pistol, I would go with the short tapered barrel and fixed sights. Sight it in with one load that it really likes, and be happy for the next twenty years.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:39:25 AM EST
I have the Mark II 22/45 with a 5.5" bull barrel with target sights. It is way more accurate than me!

I picked it up new off Gunbroker about a year ago for $230, the guy had it in his shop for over a year, he just couldn't sell it. I've put about 800rds through it with only one failure to feed, & that was a faulty mag. Called Ruger they sent a new mag, no questions asked, plus a postage paid envelope to return the faulty mag in.

Look around on the auction sites for the deals, they are out there.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:48:40 AM EST
The .22-45 has an improved mag release like a .45 Colt:

Don't hesitate to buy a used one (I did). Ruger has outstanding customer service and warranty.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 3:58:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2006 4:00:43 AM EST by YaMaMa]
The one that i would get would be one of these two.... or the 4 3/4" standard.
How much better is the Bull Barrel?
Is SS better, if so why?

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:39:40 AM EST
Thanks for the help... i'm off to get the Bull Barrel 5 1/2" unless i find a good deal on another one
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:12:04 PM EST
I guess i should post this in a New Topic but i thought i'd save some space/time.

What is the most accurate .22 ammo? I'd like to go cheap ammo which has worked well this past weekend, but i'm not sure how accurate it is. I'm looking for ammo that I can buy in bulk... and that is about $10per 500rounds which is about average i think. Is one brand better... like with .223 or is it hit and miss....

I'd hate to go out and spend $60 of my hard earned college money to find out. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:35:21 PM EST
cci minimags work real well to break in a new gun. accurate as can be in my 5 inch bull barrel mkII.

The downside for the mkII is the sights. that wide ass blade leaves you with a group like 1-2 inches at 25 yards. Some sight improvements can make it shoot 3 times better.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:35:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By Berzerker77:
cci minimags work real well to break in a new gun. accurate as can be in my 5 inch bull barrel mkII.

The downside for the mkII is the sights. that wide ass blade leaves you with a group like 1-2 inches at 25 yards. Some sight improvements can make it shoot 3 times better.

i'm on my way to get some cci minimags...

and what is this sight improvement?? i'd like to know
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:33:40 PM EST
I love my new Mark-III Hunter 22/45. It has the better front and rear sight. And shoots GREAT. Very nice group of hand at 20-30 yards
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:59:05 PM EST
The bull barrel is easier to shoot well with, it holds steadier both are very accurate.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:11:48 PM EST
The rear sight can be replaced with the sight blade from a ruger revolver. The Marble company has a front sight and base that you can put on. If you need more info send an IM to ODT. His website has all the info including part numbers.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:11:21 AM EST
Top Top