Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/6/2005 6:01:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 6:02:29 PM EDT by jollyroger]
Seriously. My father would like to be able to carry his .357 while we go on backpacking/scouting trips in the mountains. We are using large external frame packs with a thick hip belt, it doesnt look like there is a good way to strap a holster to it. So hip/waist carry is out. A shoulder rig might work if it held the gun well on your side, but too many straps over your shoulders would be hot and fairly uncomfortable I would think. After a few days of hiking in mountain country things that start out as mildly uncomfortable can become a real pain in the ass, leaving blisters and rubbing your skin raw. So does anyone make a thigh holster for a Ruger GP100, or do you guys have any ideas on how to carry a pistol well while humping a big pack through the mountains?
Thanks

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:46:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 7:47:28 AM EDT by car15auto]
these guys have them i've gotten a couple from them one for my glock and for my .500 smith also.
http://arcticshootingsupply.com/
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:59:20 PM EDT
Do you have any pics or a brand name to look for? I went to the site you listed but couldnt look at anything really.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:44:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:06:48 PM EDT
One of the Bianchi general purpose military holsters will fit on the waistbelt of a pack. They make
one for revolvers. D Carnagey
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:39:17 PM EDT
How about one of those 'Tanker' holsters or the military pilot ones?
Some outfit advertises in the Shotgun News, two or three pages of replica military stuff...I'm looking for it now...
ima usa

You might check out the Safepacker (I think that's what it's called). It's a pouch sorta thing for guns.
Obviously I don't have much experience with it

Another option would be to contact a holster maker and see if they could come up with a design for you.

Try contacting one of the makers of those tactical thigh rigs to see what they can come up with.

The best idea would be to screw an eyebolt into the bottom of the grip and attach a lanyard to it, then wear it around the neck!

okay...the last one was a joke, good luck though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:16:13 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies guys, I hadnt thought of a custom holster. I'll do some reading up on all your suggestions.
Thanks

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:06:06 PM EDT
I just got back from a trade expo here on base and the Blackhawk guy said they have thigh rigs coming out soon for revolvers. He said a lot of the guys who work there (Blackhawk) are bowhunters and they wanted to be able to pack a serious handgun in bear country, but use a thigh rig to do so. I tried one of their new thigh rigs for semi-autos and it is SWEET! It is called the "Tactical SERPA Holster". The only problem is it retails for $119. Steep price, but if you really want a nice thigh rig, you might want to check it out.

And no, I don't have any connection to Blackhawk - but if they wanted to offer me a job when I retire from the USAF in a year or so - I'll be needing a job!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:12:40 AM EDT
I am on my second one, being an active duty soldier I don't carry my M9 with any other hoster style due to the superior characteristics of the thigh holster. My first one was a blackhawk that I wore everyday for over a year while deployed, great product and worth the money. My son used it for a recreation project at school and I got the order to deploy before he could find it in his room. I had to get another so I went with the SpecOps-brand Vapor. It is very nice too and seams to be holding up to daily use very well. The only drawback to a thigh rig is that you have to have a good belt that will support the rig as the straps on your thigh only hold it in place. I even went to wearing suspenders under my uniform when we went to weapons without web gear. I hope this is helpful, GOD bless America.
Very Respectfully,
David
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:24:06 AM EDT
I've got a older Uncle Mikes Nylon thigh rig for a 4" K-frame. Don't know if they still make them. Don't use mine anymore since I currently don't have a K-frame. Another suggest would be a police duty holster where the gun butt is pushed out from the body creating a jacket slot. You could then run your hip belt between the holster and your pants belt. That's my prefered when hiking. Another disavantage to the thigh rig is that it is very hard to draw weak hand from down low. Given a hip holster I practice drawing by reaching around my back to grasp the gun butt on the right side and drawing. Good luck in your search.

CD

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:40:01 PM EDT
Thanks for all the replies guys. My dad ended up getting a Bianchi (I think) that looks a lot like the issued holster for the M9. He got some straps for it so it can be worn drop leg style. Hopefully he'll like it.

Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Another suggest would be a police duty holster where the gun butt is pushed out from the body creating a jacket slot. You could then run your hip belt between the holster and your pants belt. That's my prefered when hiking.

That sounds like a good idea, what position on yourself do you put it? If I ever stop spending money on AR's and pick up a wheelgun I might give that a try.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:02:39 PM EDT
If your father doesn't like the holster he purchased, Bladetech will make a custom thigh holster for anything you'd want to carry. I had one made for my USP Match. It's a little pricey, but worth the money IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:32:26 AM EDT

I've got a older Uncle Mikes Nylon thigh rig for a 4" K-frame. Don't know if they still make them. Don't use mine anymore since I currently don't have a K-frame. Another suggest would be a police duty holster where the gun butt is pushed out from the body creating a jacket slot. You could then run your hip belt between the holster and your pants belt. That's my prefered when hiking. Another disavantage to the thigh rig is that it is very hard to draw weak hand from down low. Given a hip holster I practice drawing by reaching around my back to grasp the gun butt on the right side and drawing. Good luck in your search.

CD

+1 , that was my suggestion, so , i'll just add one more thing.
if the bianchi military holster doesn't work. there are a lot of police trade in holsters still floating around, i would suspect that even though most are for s&w, that there are ruger holsters out there for a good price. just watch out that you don't get a worn out one-make sure you can return it if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:34:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jollyroger:
Thanks for all the replies guys. My dad ended up getting a Bianchi (I think) that looks a lot like the issued holster for the M9. He got some straps for it so it can be worn drop leg style. Hopefully he'll like it.

Another suggest would be a police duty holster where the gun butt is pushed out from the body creating a jacket slot. You could then run your hip belt between the holster and your pants belt. That's my prefered when hiking.

That sounds like a good idea, what position on yourself do you put it? If I ever stop spending money on AR's and pick up a wheelgun I might give that a try.

I carry it strong side as that's were I normally carry. If I need it in a hurry than muscle memory will put my hand there.

CD
Top Top