Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 11:40:22 AM EDT
Deciding which one I wanna get. This will be used for CCW and SHTF, etc. Itll be a shooter.

Is there any pro/cons to either.

Right now I have the SA GI .45 fullsize 5" Its nice but heavy.

Para $680 OTD w/out nite sites

SA $858 OTD W/nite sites
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#1]
no real intelligent answer on my end, but I would go with the champion.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I talked to my FFL, OTD the diff. is 178bux. meaning the SA costs that much more than the para. So, dunno if itll come down to cost or not. The SA is a bit shorter which I like and they ahve good warranty, not sure about PARAs. Decisions Decisions Decisions.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a SA Champion and I currently have a Para P12... although there was nothing at all wrong with the SA, I love the Para. Mine is accurate and reliable and what's not to like about a hi-cap .45?

I have had 3 Para's in the past and they all, like this one, has been reliable and trouble free. I never had the need for Para's warranty service.

Get the Para..you will like it. For what it's worth, I also have a 5 inch SA. The Para is my new carry gun, the Beretta Cougar .40 S&W is now in the safe.

Here is a 100 round group at 20 feet with my P12-

100 rounds of Wally world Winchester White Box
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm picking the Springfield.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd go with the springfield... no hassle lifetime warranty, made in america. By the way, you should be able to get that pistol MUCH cheaper if you shop around... I have a stainless loaded champion myself. I would suspect you'll be able to save $200 by shopping around for that champion.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd go with the springfield... no hassle lifetime warranty, made in america. By the way, you should be able to get that pistol MUCH cheaper if you shop around... I have a stainless loaded champion myself. I would suspect you'll be able to save $200 by shopping around for that champion.

Well that price is suppose to be 10% above wholesale with tax (7%) and $5 dollar NICS fee. Be nice to find it cheaper though.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#7]
If you do a FFL to FFL transfer, no sales tax...  and I've seen them for 675ish new
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the Springfield. Forged frame and slide vs. cast on the Para. The Springfield does not have the un-neccesary firing pin safety of the Para.

I also think all the new Paras look goofy with their weird cocking serrations.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#9]
As a general thing I would much rather take my chances with a Springfield over a Para, but I really don't care for the Champion.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:35:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#11]
just cause the frame is made in brazil doesnt mean anything, at least to me... The tranny in my truck is stamped Mexico... who cares, the final is america
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
just cause the frame is made in brazil doesnt mean anything, at least to me... The tranny in my truck is stamped Mexico... who cares, the final is america

I dunno about anyone else, but I would rather have a frame made in Canada than brazil, but that still would not stop me from buying a SA..
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Springfield, hands down.

I have 3 friends with paras. 2 of 3 required serious smithing to work-and one is still spotty. The one which went through Bill Wilson's shop still has mag issues constantly. My friend is always dicking with springs on it.

Third friend bought 2 P14 limited pistols. They are down the road, replaced by loaded Springers. He didn't sell the P14s because they worked great

The one friend with an old P14 LW does like it now after an armorer went over it for him. It was a jammomatic out of the box.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#14]
My vote if for the Springfield Lightweight Champion.  Maybe that is because I have one and use it every day as my CCW gun.  I did however, have four Kimbers and got rid of them for Springfields.  

Just my .02
MadDog
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Okay, ill go with SA, I jus need to find a killer deal on one now. lol
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Found one, itll be here on wed. Im lookin forward to it.  

Will do range report and photo op once it gets here. Ill probably put my SA GI up on the EE soon after.

One question, I read on 1911forums.com something about metal followers and Alloy frames/slides. Is this is a bad combo or something. Arent all followers metal on mags.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Will do range report and photo op once it gets here. Ill probably put my SA GI up on the EE soon after.

One question, I read on 1911forums.com something about metal followers and Alloy frames/slides. Is this is a bad combo or something. Arent all followers metal on mags.  

The split metal followers will chew up your frame.  Buy a bunch of Wilsons and don't look back.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The split metal followers will chew up your frame.  Buy a bunch of Wilsons and don't look back.

Like the mccormicks?

Can the followers be changed out?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I believe you can buy the followers from Wilson.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I had the same question. I really like my SA 5" Loaded, so I ordered a Lightweight Champion from my local FFL. He said the price will be $715, when it shows--he doesn't know when that will be though :-(
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I had the same question. I really like my SA 5" Loaded, so I ordered a Lightweight Champion from my local FFL. He said the price will be $715 Plus tax? plus Nics check $5bux, when it shows--he doesn't know when that will be though :-(

Who'd he order it from? SA direct or dist.? If so, youll be in for the long haul. I got really lucky, my FFL is a buddy and gave me a lead on someone to call that deals heavily with SA guns. They had one in stock and ill take possession of it on Wed. OTD will be $678.

Oh, whats the story with the tearing this down? Something about non standard guide rods or something like that. Do all short guns ahve this setup? Anyway to go back to normal or is this nature of the beast?

Anything else to watch out for or be leary of, the mag follower thing was good, glad someone brought it my attention.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I got my SA Loaded LW from Budsgunshop.com a month ago for $608.00.  I love the gun, so far about 300 trouble free rounds and its accurate too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I got my SA Loaded LW from Budsgunshop.com a month ago for $608.00.  I love the gun, so far about 300 trouble free rounds and its accurate too.

Cool deal. I think the price im paying is fair, its goin from Retail FFL to my FFL. Be diff. if I was gettin it from a wholesale dist. but none had em and didnt know when they would. Im jus happy to find one. I did find one from a retailer but they wanted $750. By the time I added 30-40bux shipping, transfer fee, taxes, etc. it wouldnt be worth it.

And the best part..........Wifey got nice bonus at work and is goin to cover 1/2 the cost the new SA!!!!

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#24]
True, if I had been able to find one nearby I would have paid $678 for it too. I still think its a great deal at that price and I wouldn't have had to wait two weeks for Buds to ship it. You will enjoy your new gun, I know I love mine. It conceals well in my new Milt Sparks VM-2 also. Congrats and Enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Wear shootin glasses and a brimned hat when it tosses the empties into your face. I really wanted to like mine, alas, it was not to be.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm at about 380 rounds through mine after today and not one in my face. Ae you a lefty by chance?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#27]
My first 1911, a 1980s Officers ACP had the charming habit of whacking me in the forehead with brass, and I'm a righty. A little extractor tuning took care of it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm at about 380 rounds through mine after today and not one in my face. Ae you a lefty by chance?

No. but I am left eye dominant. This was a problematic pistol from day one. Had the improper ejector installed from the factory and had a badly fit FP retainer and bad extractor also. Since I am a stubborn dumbass, I finally got it running OK with the correct ejector, and a new FP retainer and good extractor. However, it still tosses brass into my face about 20% of the time and it seems to have a penchant for my eyes. Funny thing is, I have a defender that clocks them right out to the side perfectly and both are set up just about exactly the same as far as extractor tension and ejector timing. Just one of those things. I just use the SA for drills and the defender for CCW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top