Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 10:59:11 PM EDT
I have been in Oregon for school ever since I got my CCW license and with the weather here a full size 1911, G21 is not hard to hide.  In a few months I will be going home to Florida for the summer and need a smaller option.  I have looked at the smallest 1911s and the smallest 9mm glocks.  I am leery of the reliability of the 3" 1911. I have shot the smallest Glocks and they are not out of the equation.  I will not be in a bad area and a small pocket pistol in a .22Lr might be the ticket.  I have not been a big fan of revoleers but that is still an option.  I need it in one of these only .22lr, .9mm or .45acp.  Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I have read the Beretta 21 sounds good, as does the Walther TPH.  

The Beretta doesn't have an extractor though, so the chamber needs to be kept clean and hyper velocity ammo used, but it is double action so a second strike is possible.  

I would use only quality ammunition, and not use anything without second strike capability as with .22lr missfires are possible even with quality ammo, the priming system is not the most reliable as I'm sure you know.

The TPH is very expensive and I'm pretty sure it has an extractor but may not have double action (I am not sure).
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:30:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Having a Beretta 21 I wouldn't trust my life with it, mine is an unreliable jam-o-matic POS with every mag/ammo I've tried .

Get a Taurus Ultralite hammerless in 32 H&R Mag or 38 spl, not much bigger/heavier and will always go bang when needed...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:48:20 AM EDT
[#3]
with the Kel tec P3AT (.380) available and priced low there is no reason to get a .22 or .32.  You can conceal the P3AT in a bathing suit.  

The Kahr PM9 is my CCW.

But of your options, I vote Revoleer

you asked for pics, here's one, the KT is actually a P32, but the P3AT is virtualy the same size.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:13:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I live in Louisiana, and my carry pistol is a Kahr PM9. I'd recommend the Kahr PM9, or a Kel-tec
P32 or P-3AT, or for the truly inconspicuous perhaps an NAA mini revolver. I have the Black Widow.

Sam
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:35:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Kahr PM9
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:40:32 AM EDT
[#6]
My primary CCW is a GLOCK 19. I have a P-32 that I carry as a poket gun and I just ordered a PM9.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:59:32 AM EDT
[#7]
this usually tags along with my g27

beretta tomcat stainless steel (a bit beefier than the std.) .32auto.
don hume pocket holster

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:03:27 AM EDT
[#8]
here's a .22 vs. .32 thread that was posted not too long ago.

look for my post in there, i have linked some good .32 auto round testing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:23:27 AM EDT
[#9]
g26
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:59:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#11]
If I can't conceal my P3AT, I must be completely bare assed.   My 5'8, 120lb wife can conceal it in her bikini.

It's not fun to fire, and not particularly accurate, but it's got a LOT more punch than a .22 or .32, and for $230 new, it can't be beat!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I like my Sig P232 380 for carry in warm climates.  Its reasonably flat and snag free.  I t disappears under a loose T shirt or Polo shirt.  It has also been very reliable.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Get a J-frame. Pocket sized autos tend to be even less reliable than full sized ones especialy when full of pocket lint.

Plus .38spl+p is going to be far more effective than any of the little mousegun rounds.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Get a J-frame. Pocket sized autos tend to be even less reliable than full sized ones especialy when full of pocket lint.

Plus .38spl+p is going to be far more effective than any of the little mousegun rounds.

As a former 642 owner, I would reccomend a Kahr PM9. Just as light, smaller, thinner, more powerful, much easier to shoot well, higher capacity, and much faster to reload.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What he said. S+W 340PD with .38 +p is my carry gun even in the New England winters. A couple of speed strips or a speed loader and you're good to go. My .02
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
g26

+1
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#17]
seacamp .32
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#18]
My pocket pistol is a North American Arms Guardian in .380. It is a little heavier than the Kel Tec, but it still carries nicely in a rear pocket holster. I use it primarily as a backup to my EDC, which is a Para Ordnance C7 .45 LDA.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I will suggest 2 different pistols.

A PPK/S in .380 or S&W J Frame Model 60 in 357 Mag/38 Special.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I usually casrry a G19 IWB, but have to pocket carry at work.  The G26 was a bit too big, so I went with the PM9.  It is reliable and has worked well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I carry a NAA G380 in my front pocket every day.  It's a great little gun and I don't think you can find a company on this planet with nicer folks or better service.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#22]
So many options out there for pocket carry.

I've gone with 2 small handguns for backup/pocket carry, both of which have been mentioned already.  The Keltec P3AT is a great little gun that you can hide anywhere, and I don't think its bad to shoot either.  Mine is about 3 years old and has been extremely reliable since I did a little polishing.  

I also have a S&W model 37 revolver with a bobbed hammer.  I prefer to carry the revolver, as I "feel" like I have more firepower with .38 over the .380ACP.  My other reason for the revolver was to use in a jacket pocket in colder weather, theoretically more apt to function when fired in the pocket if needed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#23]

I tend to carry the Kel-tec just due to it's size.  It took a little fluff n buff to get it running right, but it is great now. My recommendation for a pocket gun.

The Beretta is a bit wider and heavier but I have found it to be reliable.

The AMT is very picky on ammo and mags. Wouldn't bet my life on it.

Glock 19 just for size comparison.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
From what I have read the Beretta 21 sounds good...

I have one and find my S&W 442 just as easy to carry in a pocket.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for all the pics. and advice.  After reading some of your recommendations and seeing the pics posted I went looking at several local shops.  I like the tomcat and the PM9 the most out of what I could find.  For some reason the revolvers were a little harder to find.  Most of them were out of stock when I asked.  The tomcat has the PM9 beat in most of the areas I am looking for.  The only reason I am leaning towards the PM9 is I like the 9mm over the .32.  I have several 9mm guns and stock pile the cartridge.  The gunshop had a PM9 blued with no night sights for $535.00.  Is that a good price?  Are the KAHR pistols that good?  I have no experience with the brand.  They had a stainless W/ nightsights for $600.00.  That seems kinda high for that particular firearm but if you all sing its praise it must be worth the money.  I will get out monday and see if I can't find a few revolvers that cost less than $500.00.  Any leads on a good deal would be appreciated.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:19:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Bersa .380s are not bad and affordable. KelTec is coming out with a new 9mm and they have the P-11 and a Khar 9MM are what I would look at. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:16:27 AM EDT
[#28]
In .22 - consider one of the NAA mini-revolvers.  I've got one in .22mag w/ the .22lr cylinder.  Single action, but easy to conceal with spare ammo.  Great BUG/hideout gun.  

If you want something in 9mm, I understand that the Rohrbaugh is nice if you can afford it.  Smallest 9mm available, but expensive.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a Kahr PM9 that has been flawless through 1600+ rounds.

I did change the recoil assy. at 1500, just for maintenance.
They are high quality guns, but I wish they were priced a little more reasonably.
The resale value on them generally blows, so look around for a used one.
You may find a real gem.

The polymer Kahrs seem more prone to issues than the steel ones, but my PM9, and the MK9 I had before that have been reliable.

If read these boards enough, you'll see that all gun makers let some lemons slip out the door occasionally.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:08:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have a Kahr PM9 that has been flawless through 1600+ rounds.

I did change the recoil assy. at 1500, just for maintenance.
They are high quality guns, but I wish they were priced a little more reasonably.
The resale value on them generally blows, so look around for a used one.
You may find a real gem.

The polymer Kahrs seem more prone to issues than the steel ones, but my PM9, and the MK9 I had before that have been reliable.

If read these boards enough, you'll see that all gun makers let some lemons slip out the door occasionally.

I agree. I just sold my Smith 642 and bought a LNIB Kahr PM9 with less than 200 rounds on it for $350.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:23:42 AM EDT
[#32]
I've owned a PM9 for almost 2 years and have never had a jam in 800 rounds.   Very good carry gun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#33]
In the realm of semi-auto pistols, the ultimate concealed carry with reasonable power would probably fall to the Kel-Tec P3AT (.380). This little gun can literally go anywhere.

For 9mm or larger, I gotta agree on the Kahr, but Kel-Tec has a new 9mm coming out as well.

For wheelguns, the S&W airweight body guard is hard to beat. Charter Arms and Taurus both have similar revolvers, but under certain circumstances the revolver is not easy to conceal comfortably (for some people).

Typical dress for a guy in Florida during the April through October time-frame is usually shorts and t-shirt, or kahki pants and a polo/golf shirt. If your shirt is not tucked in, you will be able to carry a larger weapon. If, however, you choose to tuck your shirt in, and depending on your body size/shape, you may be limited to pocket carry. The last thing you really want in your pocket is nearly two pounds of iron and lead. That's why the Kel-Tec .380 is such a nice piece to carry. If you are able to carry inside the waistband and are comfortable with all day carry (sitting, driving, walking, SWEATING!) then your options for a larger weapon would probably include all the usuual Glock, Sig, 1911s and such.

Sure, that Para 14-45 1911 looks like a great pistol, but try carrying it on your body all day long when the temps are pushing 100 and the humidity is 99% and you are golfing, or your wife is dragging your ass around a flea market. You'll be glad that Glock, Springfield, Taurus, Kel-Tec and others have light weight, easy to conceal weapons to choose from.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top