Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2010 12:30:47 PM EDT
Fellows.

Son #1 recently bought my 5" M1911 out from under me (he
knew better than to ask for my 3.5", I'm getting buried with that)
and right off the bat I was going to replace it with another 5" M1911.
but looking online has brought the Springfield Arms XD .45 to my
attention.

The $500.00 I'm getting from my son (he's making payments) will get
me either a 4" with a Melonite finish and a manual safety, or for a little
more I can get the 5" Tactical with the same finish and the manual safety.
(these prices are from Bud's Gunshop. $492.00 for the 4" and the XD gear,
and $530.00 for the 5" Tactical without the gear.).

I went dicking around at the gunshop I frequent, they didn't have any .45 XD's,
but the clerk on duty owns a .40  XD SS 4" and he could not sing it's praises
loud and long enough. He let me fingerbang the .40 XD's they had, and I must say
it feels and points really well. The trigger pull is pretty nice for a striker fired, too.

I got this dern pistol in my head, so to speak, and I can't get it out. I like the manual
safety, and I heard nothing bad about the Melonite finish (that's what Glocks have, I
believe).

Is the .45 XD as sweet-shooting as folks say it is? I don't know anyone who personally
owns one. The gunstore clerk told me the trigger sweetens up as it breaks in, what say
you guys? When I asked him how well-built these pistols are, he just pointed to the SA
rollmark on the slide top and said, "This says it all." (Yeah, he's a fanboy, but he's okay.)

Will I lose much range/velocities going with the 4" over the 5"? I don't care about the XD
Gear that comes with the 4" but if I can get similar results out of a smaller pistol, that's
what I'm going to go with. I don't need a compact, I'm looking for more of a "service pistol."
I must admit I'm leaning towards the Tactical, but will keep an open mind towards the 4".
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two XD 4" in 9mm and a compact model in 45 ACP. The compact model is basically the same 4" barrel and slide as found in the service model, but with a shorter grip for concealability. I don't have the 5" tactical model but have handled and shot a few.

For shooting comfort, and target reacquisition time, I'd go with the 5" tactical model. The longer barrel and slide means more weight. I feel less recoil when shooting the 5" model over the 4" model. Also, as you are nearing the end of your ammo in the magazine, the gun gets a lot lighter and the flip from recoil becomes more significant. This seems to be less of a problem with the 5" model with a full grip compared to my 4" compact model. Again, more mass in the 5" model actually helps.

But, this does not mean the 4" compact model is not comfortable enough to shoot. Believe me, it is fun to shoot if you love the 45 push like I do. Moreover, the shorter grip does make the pistol a lot more concealable. I carry my 45 XD compact as my ccw piece from time to time. It feels just a tad heavier than carrying a Glock 19 and just as concealable, thanks to the shorter grip.  

So if you don't plan on using the gun as your ccw piece, I'd say go with the tactical model. It will be a lot closer in shooting characteristics with your full size 1911.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#2]
You can also get an XD45 in Compact/Tactical.  Compact frame with a 5" upper.  The one I have came with both compact and full size mags with spacer.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an XD 5" Tactical and after getting used to it (1911 fan), I got very proficient with the thing.  The rail is nice for the light option and the only issues I had was when I added the mag extension and cheaped out on the springs.  Once I spent the whole $7 per spring, I NEVER had any malfunction.  It shoots ball and JHP, accurate and with the mag extensions, I can carry 49 rounds with one in the pipe.  I added night sight - as I do on all my pistols.

For me it was a good compromise from a 1911, which I used to carrry.

I also have a XD Compact in .45 but have to get more range time.  I expect the same quality and performance.

SA CS is also good - not needed on any XD, but a loaded 1911 had a FTE and they paid shipping round trip, fixed it and had it back in my hands in less than 14 days.

Big thumbs up from me.  I paid $475 used.  Add night sites and mag extensions/spring.  I have about $600 in it - more than it is worth, but I am keeping it.

OH - I love the XD holsters.  Others despise them.  YMMV
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Go with an HK45.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Good, informative replies (except for that last joker).

Thanks, fellas, for the advice. ARFCom has never yet let me down
in that respect.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#6]
There are few modern service guns I haven't owned:  Glocks, Berettas, Rugers, HKs, 6 or 7 1911s, Sig, and Smith and Wesson.

I think the 5" XD 45 is likely one of the best handguns ever designed:  simple, ergonomic, good trigger, excellent firepower, soft shooting, and easy to maintain.

I have 3 XDs now, including one 5" 45 and will probably be buying a second 5" 45 soon.

BTW I do own the shorter XD 45 as well and plan to trade it in on the second 5".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top