Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 9:07:26 PM EDT
Hey guys...

Many people today are becomming "survivalists" in one form or another.  

I am of the opinion that IF this ever happens and the zombies began marching across the face of the earth, that a good pistol can be your very best friend.  

Others say a rifle.  

While others say a good shotgun.  

Im sure ARFCOM members will say all of the above...

What are your opinions of the "End of Days" so many belive are coming, and how/what are you equipping yourself with?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
A good rifle will both provide food and save your ass.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Ahhh... but let us be specific here... type/caliber and your reasoning behind it...

Scoped bolt action?  AR Type? (as if I didnt already know)... and your views on how this will "save your ass" when the zombies march?  Be SPECIFIC.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd take all three of my firearms--my Bushmaster, my XD, and my Marlin.  One for zombies far away, one for zombies up close, and one for zombie animals to eat.  Or the occasional zombie dog, as we all know from playing Resident Evil that they're a bitch to kill with a handgun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:45:16 AM EDT
[#4]
If the end of the world comes in a biblical sense neither a rifle or pistol is gonna help much. You may take a few zombies with ya, but we're all screwed and hot flying lead won't save your butt. So spend your $$ on having a good time with your family and friends while you still have the chance.

Shabo
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:10:40 AM EDT
[#5]
1911 on my hip, AR-15 in hand, 870 slung over my back. My wife at my side along with my beagle, and we're gonna fight till we go down.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:09:10 AM EDT
[#6]
My M16 in my hands, My Sig Navy on my hip, my Benelli on my back.  My wife would have my MP5K and another Sig (probably the 225), and I'd probably load every other weapon and every round of ammo I have into the back of my truck........
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:10:51 AM EDT
[#7]
If on foot, Sig P220 in jackass rig, USP9 in hip holster, AR15 carbine in hand, Rem. 870 slung. 2 bladder canteens slung, two 1 quart on LBE, LC medium on back with MREs, medical supplies,clothes, P239 in pack holster as backup and signalling gear. Family and Dogs will accompany. My Malamute will carry dog-pack with extra food.

If in Vehicle, Every weapon and every last bullet goes, and as much food and supplies as will fit in back and on roof rack.

Note that I intend to defend in place at home as long as defensible.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Hokay,

ruling out the ice caps melting, meteors be coming crashing into earth and the ozone layer leaving, we're definitely going to blow ourselves up....  

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I was thinking my llama at my side, my hipoint carbine at my back, and my sling in my hand, I'm ready to chunk anything at a zombie trying to eat my brains.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahhh... but let us be specific here... type/caliber and your reasoning behind it...

Scoped bolt action?  AR Type? (as if I didnt already know)... and your views on how this will "save your ass" when the zombies march?  Be SPECIFIC.

In a all out end of the world situation if I could have only one weapon it would be an AR.  Idealy it would be an AR 10.  The .308 could be used for both hunting and self defense.  A good pistol would be a good back up.  A good shotgun would be great, but is not effective at long distances.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#11]
That is just stupid ,any one with any sence knows one weapon can't do it all . so stop f*cking around and save your pennys and get a 12 gage pump shotgun ,a 45 or .357 pistol and an AR get lots of ammo for each and pratice until you a proficent with all than you may have a fighting chance. this end of the world topic is getting old I have been hearing it since 1959 and in this day and age it has lost it's impact . Germ warfare,Nuke,and the lot keep me on edge.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#12]
It all depends... it depends on what zombies are marching and what I have to do to deal with them.  The one consistent thing would be the 1911 pistol.  No matter what the circumstance called for, the 1911 would be the back-up.  It might be backing up a Steyr Scout in .308, a FAL or an M4.  The primary arm would depend on the need for mobility, anticipated time between resupplies, number  and nature of the zombies and what the food situation is like.  No matter the situation, I don't think I'd be poorly equipped with the Scout rifle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#13]
ok for the sake of the thread....

I'd take a handgun and a long gun. The handgun would have to be a double stack and no less than .40 cal S&W. The long gun would probably be an AR. The most important part is my bag. the SHFT bag is very important to me. During the hurricane i kept that bag in my crusier. It had loaded mags,first aid kit,extra knife,duct tape,large zip ties,garbage bag, batteries, mag light, glow sticks,TP,change of socks,water proof matches,rain poncho,MREs,protein bars,compass,rope & string,canteen,foil blanket,military shovel,portable radio, um i'm sure i'm forgetting some stuff. I'm not really worried about the end of the world but, more along the lines of disasters they may seperate me from basic things. I guess i'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. JMO

J
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#15]
you do realize there is a huge forum for General Discussion?  www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=5
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I would just take a 1911 with a single round in the chamber.  If things get that bad, I'll just save myself from a whole bunch of agony.  We all end up dead in the end anyway.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#18]
OK - I'll play

IMO, in a real "End-of-the-world" scenario, your survival skills and luck will be much more important than what guns you carry. That said...

The guys talking about humping around 3-4 weapons + ammo + other supplies are really kidding themselves.

2 guns tops, 1 sidearms and one long gun. Side arm should be a 9mm without a doubt. Highest capacity magazines, smallest\lightest round that is still plenty effective and will be the easiest by far to find ammo for if\when you run out. I believe the Glock 17 is the perfect EOTW gun.

The Long gun is not as easy a decision. Lets face it, in an EOTW scenario, you will want to avoid firefights as mush as possible so your long gun will probably be used acquire food more than anything else. An AR wouldn't be a bad choice for the same reasons as the 9mm and can be used to some extent as both a hunting and tactical\defensive weapon but given the choice, I would probably pick a M14\M1A. Accuracy, range, capacity, ruggedness. Excellent choice for both hunting and tactical\defensive situations. The caliber shouldn't be be too hard to find either. I little heavy but this is the EOTW after all, you can't have everything!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey Guys... dont get hostile... after all we all know that Zombies are not going to march across the face of the world...

Zombies dont march... they kind of shuffle along and drool and growl and look for brains to eat.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey, they crawl sometimes too.  That's usually before they starve to death, but I think the point stands...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:14:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I am of the opinion that the flame-thrower is probably the best zombie killing weapon, followed by some form of repeating M203 launcher.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:55:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I would have to clone myself because I want to take as many of my guns as possible .
I worked plenty hard  and fought 2 wives to get them andI am not leaving them behind .
END OF THE WORLD OR NOT .

ALL 3 of them .
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:42:55 AM EDT
[#24]
That eight-shot .357 Magnum S&W at Tri-State sporting goods is starting to look like a real winner...  Now if I could just convince myself that I'd need it for when Hunters and/or Lickers* attack, I'd be able to buy it.

*Both are badass monsters from the Resident Evil PlayStation games.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#25]
For long arm ill take my red ryder... Im aiming for the eyes baby!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I would worry more about aliens... if they have the technology to come to Earth from light years away, they will have bullet-stopping force fields and death rays and the ability to cause extremely high humidity and stuff.  They will be able to make the entire planet seem like New Jersey.  Who'd want to live like that anyway?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#27]
While it wouldn't be the end of the world, a terrorist attack on a major city is a real possibility.  If/when that happens, number one priority is going to be getting home in one piece.  From there, its a matter of evaluating what the situation requires.  If it is not safe to stay put, you would have to figure out how long you think that situation would last and arm yourself accordingly.  

Most likely, if you were not killed in the initial attack and you were able to make it home in one piece, you'd likely be safe and well advised to hunker down.  That being the case, the only challenge is getting home.  A pack with a good pair of boots, a change of clothing, some water, one or two MREs and a pistol would be about all you would want.  A rifle being packed would draw unwanted attention as it is certainly an offensive weapon while a handgun is purely defensive in nature.  

Can you tell I've thought about this?  Living the the 'burbs of Washington DC will do that to you.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I would worry more about aliens... if they have the technology to come to Earth from light years away, they will have bullet-stopping force fields and death rays and the ability to cause extremely high humidity and stuff.  They will be able to make the entire planet seem like New Jersey.  Who'd want to live like that anyway?

If you are talking about the "greys," then no, they are pretty weak outside of their spacecraft. And they have no weapons. They are total pacifists. They are also grey because it is actually a protective suit. The big black eyes are just very dark tinted goggles. They are extremely sensitive to sunlight and will die of prolonged exposure. Hence the suit. Underneath they are pinkish in color and have semi-reptilian textured skin.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
While it wouldn't be the end of the world, a terrorist attack on a major city is a real possibility.  If/when that happens, number one priority is going to be getting home in one piece.  From there, its a matter of evaluating what the situation requires.  If it is not safe to stay put, you would have to figure out how long you think that situation would last and arm yourself accordingly.  

Most likely, if you were not killed in the initial attack and you were able to make it home in one piece, you'd likely be safe and well advised to hunker down.  That being the case, the only challenge is getting home.  A pack with a good pair of boots, a change of clothing, some water, one or two MREs and a pistol would be about all you would want.  A rifle being packed would draw unwanted attention as it is certainly an offensive weapon while a handgun is purely defensive in nature.  

Can you tell I've thought about this?  Living the the 'burbs of Washington DC will do that to you.

+1

Took the  words out of my mouth. Plus while wearing a pistol, few people will question you, thinking you are a detective or something.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#30]
In any case, the answer is much like the answer for a lot of other questions: 75-round Romanian drums for your AK-47.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah...

Watching the news on TV about the middle east makes me think a lot about this too.  

Like I posted on a previous thread, I see every day where a terrorist walked into a store and opened fire on a crowd.  

I can see this happening on this side of the pond in short order.

I think having the pack you noted here is a very good idea.  Where can us civis buy MREs?

This weekend I am going to pack a "survival bag" to put in the back of my Jeep and leave there.  Water, MREs/Couple cans of fruit (something with carbs and some natural sugars to keep energy levels high), a spare knife, boots and clothes, and a first aid kit.  Extra box of ammo.

What else would you recommend?  And are MREs available to the public??
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Yeah...

Watching the news on TV about the middle east makes me think a lot about this too.  

Like I posted on a previous thread, I see every day where a terrorist walked into a store and opened fire on a crowd.  

I think having the pack you noted here is a very good idea.  Where can us civis buy MREs?

This weekend I am going to pack a "survival bag" to put in the back of my Jeep and leave there.  Water, MREs/Couple cans of fruit (something with carbs and some natural sugars to keep energy levels high), a spare knife, boots and clothes, and a first aid kit.  Extra box of ammo.

I think most ARFCOM'ers have plenty of reserves to survive for weeks without food, if you know what I mean.

You can add a nice fleece blanket to the list
Matches/waterproof lighter
flashlight
portable radio/CB/Scanner
MRE's you can order through any army surplus, or a local surplus store.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah...

I think most ARFCOM'ers have plenty of reserves to survive for weeks without food, if you know what I mean.

You can add a nice fleece blanket to the list
Matches/waterproof lighter
flashlight
portable radio/CB/Scanner
MRE's you can order through any army surplus, or a local surplus store.

Is that a fat joke?  Thats a fat joke isnt it!?!?!  Hey... I RESEMBLE that remark!!!

And yeah... good call on those items. Jeep has a CB in it already.

I will check the local ARMY/NAVY shops for the MREs then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top