Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/13/2006 3:56:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 4:10:30 PM EST by mef223]
I went shooting today. One of the lucky contestants was my SW model 15 .38spl, 4" bbl (series 7, late manufature, ok for +p).

Checked the ammo stash and grabbed a box of Fiocchis. The 50 rd box is grey, labeled:
FIOCCHI
CAL .38 SPECIAL H. GRADE
palla semi blindata
50 cartucce per revolver

Here's the kicker: I have no idea where I got his box of ammo - I know, my fault.

The cases are headstamped:

top: G.F.L.
bottom: 38 SPECIAL

Six rounds all go bang with AUTHORITY! Wow, I thought, this stuff is loaded hot. Open the crane to eject the rounds, and it's really hard to get them out. Two of the cases are split lengthwise from just above the rim, to just short of the mouth. The crack did not extend into the head or the neck.
poor artist's rendition:

Revolver appears to be OK. My guess is that these are someone's hot reloads. I don't reload but I have a massive stash of all kinds of ammo. I really thought this was a factory box of ammo, BUT, someone may have given them to me.

I guess I learned a lesson today. I have the rest of the ammo and was wondering, is there a way to tell if these are reloads as opposed to factory rounds?

Will a sizing die leave marks? Some of the cases have a slight, not structural (but visible) ring around them, where they are slightly discolored.

Anyone know if there was a problem with this ammo? The lot number is 2701003/1838.

Thanks in advance for reading my post.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:34:54 PM EST
You said "Fiochi' (or whatever)

::to the tune of an old beer commercial:: You said it all!

Sorry... but you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:57:56 PM EST
Reloads normally have fine scraches the length of the case from dust or grit on the case during the resizing process. Are the cases brass? If the primers are chrome and the case brass, could be reloads.
Look inside the case, do you see one or two flash holes in the base of the case. Two holes means Berdan primed and very, very hard to reload.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:20:26 AM EST
What does "H. GRADE" mean?

FIOCCHI is usually VERY good ammo. I have never seen it in a grey box (usually Havard Red). Could this be some sort of specialty ammo?

Glad you and the S&Wm15 are no worse for ware
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:37:30 PM EST
I shot some Fiochi 230gr ball .45acp in a match last month. It was factory and was loaded pretty stout.
I resized a few cases this week and the brass is reloadable but the brass itself seems harder than the Remington brass I was using.
The ammo was accurate though, and seems to be good quality. The cases were brass.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:06:10 PM EST
H- HOT??? I dunno
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:24:35 PM EST
Reloaded ammo will usually have a slight discolored ring from just above the casehead to the base. This is because most resizing dies do not completely resize all the way to the base, and the part of the brass that has been forced back into the proper diameter will be a different color (work hardening maybe?)
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:25:13 AM EST
I have shot Fiocchi 9mm ammo...and it is HOT !! If you miss with the shot , then you'll definitely burn the badguy with the fireball exiting out the muzzle.

As for your artist's rendition, I had that exact same thing happen with S&B factory .38spl ammo.
Some of the case cracks extended from the case mouth to the base....very scary when I pulled them out of the cylinder. Trashed the rest of the box and send all S&B brass (no matter what caliber) to the trash bin. I don't trust it.
Top Top