Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 4/13/2017 9:18:08 PM EDT
Bought this at a gun show long ago, Value? I know its a 4 screw. And pinned barrell. Anything collectable?
S/N 80XXX

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:52:27 PM EDT
About 300 is my guess. If the finish was nice, I'd go 450... but I'm not an expert.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:01:26 AM EDT
No, that's a 5 screw. It's a garden variety postwar K frame, probably original grips. Not terribly collectible because they made a pile of them, but great wheel guns, very well made. Looks like a 4". Probably late 40's, '48-'49-'50 going off the serial, '51-'52 at the latest. It would fetch about $400-450 max around here in that condition on a good day. Maybe $325-375 if you wanted to sell it quick.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:33:23 AM EDT
Lots of guys with a lot of knowledge.
Post your pics up at:

www.smithandwessonforums.com

If there is not a screw on the bottom of the frame in front of the trigger guard, that is a 4 screw.
I don't see one in your pics.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:54:17 AM EDT
Pre-Model 10. Likely shipped between 1949 and 51, but with S&W anything is possible. 4 Line, half penny sight, speed hammer, Magnas look original, pull the grips off and check Serial Number on back.

Have box and/or accessories? If so, likely worth in the 600 range. Without, anywhere from 400-500, depending on locale.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:13:33 AM EDT
Serial number is the bottom of the butt your serial number probably came out of the crane area that is an assembly number I am pretty sure. Nice looking five screw- fifth screw is under the grip panel. All guns that have the four screw side plate had the screw in front of the trigger guard. Nice condition and with more pics and details may be worth a bit more
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 4:18:02 PM EDT
I know this, I like it.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:42:20 PM EDT
Don't kid yourself, all S&W pre-lock revolvers are collectible.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:09:28 PM EDT
I know about the Smith forum but I'm not going to sign up. Someone here should be able to answer my questions and they have.
Yes, It does have a screw on the front of the trigger guard so that makes it a 5 screw?

I did read the number on the frame by the cylinder yoke, Never looked at the bottom of the grip. It has C  245XXX  
Cylinder is not recessed but has C  245XXX on it, thinking the cylinder was matched to the frame.

I could get more pics, if anyone really wants to see them. Thanks everyone for the info. Learned a few things I did not know about this pistol.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:17:01 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know this, I like it.  
View Quote
Hey! your still around.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:17:59 PM EDT
Quoted:
I know about the Smith forum but I'm not going to sign up. Someone here should be able to answer my questions and they have.
Yes, It does have a screw on the front of the trigger guard so that makes it a 5 screw?

I did read the number on the frame by the cylinder yoke, Never looked at the bottom of the grip. It has C  245XXX  
Cylinder is not recessed but has C  245XXX on it, thinking the cylinder was matched to the frame.

I could get more pics, if anyone really wants to see them. Thanks everyone for the info. Learned a few things I did not know about this pistol.
View Quote
That SN puts it at 1953.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:29:49 PM EDT
Quoted:

That SN puts it at 1953.
View Quote
I was born in 59, its older then me.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:38:36 PM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes.

I bought a Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson after becoming a member over there.
IM or email if you have any other questions.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:34:23 PM EDT
As you are now aware one of the pitfalls with smiths is people constantly confusing the assembly number ( which has no relevance what so ever in determining the age or type of revolver) with the serial number on the butt. At times smith did ( in an on again off again not always sort of way) put serial numbers there but it is so inconsistent one should never use a yoke and always use a butt serial number to be certain.
The other poster who determined a 50's era gun is correct. And when discussing smith serial numbers always include any preceding letters even if separated by a good distance on the butt.
Regarding the screws:
A pistol with four screws on the side plate and one on the front of the trigger guard is obviously a five screw, and this was the case until the late fifties with the first screw to be deleted the top screw on the sideplate near the cylinder thus resulting for a brief year or two the "four screw variation. Sometime around 1960-61 the screw in front of the trigger guard was eliminated creating the typical three screw variation seen the day. Just to confuse things a few models ( like my 22-4 thunder ranch revolver) made recently has the side plate screw high on the cylinder again like the d five screw models but without the front troggerguard screw.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:36:55 PM EDT
Oh and also only the 22's and magnums were ever recessed.  Ack in the five screw days in addition to those confusing assembly numbers, smith also serialized the barrel the cylinder the extractor and yoke the last two in such a way it is very hard to see them without some disassembly or careful examination.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:35:48 PM EDT
Quoted:
Oh and also only the 22's and magnums were ever recessed.  Ack in the five screw days in addition to those confusing assembly numbers, smith also serialized the barrel the cylinder the extractor and yoke the last two in such a way it is very hard to see them without some disassembly or careful examination.
View Quote
It's a common misconception that all pinned barrel S&Ws also had recessed cylinders.  The rimfires were (and still are), but so were the magnums.  For guns made in the early 80s you sometimes see examples that are pinned but not recessed and vice versa.

Unfortunately the pre Model 10 (M&P) and Model 10 are the least collectible older S&W revolvers.  There were just so many of them made.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:21:01 AM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:43:29 AM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sadly true.  All the militant angst ridden lock haters are going to turn pre-lock S&W into overprice safe-queens like they have done with Colt double action revolvers.  At least S&W is still making revolvers (with the lock and a few without) for those of us that actually shoot and use our revolvers them rather than just collect them and rub them with a diaper.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:51:27 AM EDT
Quoted:
Sadly true.  All the militant angst ridden lock haters are going to turn pre-lock S&W into overprice safe-queens like they have done with Colt double action revolvers.  At least S&W is still making revolvers (with the lock and a few without) for those of us that actually shoot and use our revolvers them rather than just collect them and rub them with a diaper.
View Quote
My small collection of smith working guns used for carry icore and bullseye and idpa all have one thing in common all made at least 50 years ago. My old smiths get used and I don't lose sleep over shooting and carrying them. Most were bought during the time a mass exodus from revolver to autos made good quality revolvers cheap and those with a bit a finish wear are just what I want. Cheaper and extra scratches don't bother
Nice thing about these old wheel guns- unlike the supposedly more refined modern autoloader there is little to maintain no bs spring replacement schedules, fret over inadequate power to function slides etc. the mid 60's j frame I would bet my life on right now ( my primary carry) has every single part original.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:07:48 PM EDT
Quoted:

Hey! your still around.
View Quote
Yeah, how you been.  We should go shooting sometime again.  Let me know and you can come out by me again.   If you want.
Top Top