Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/22/2005 8:59:44 PM EDT
All I know is it's the first polymer pistol, featured an integrated holster-stock, had a 3rd burst option and the first one came off the line in 1970. It also uses 18 round magazines.

Very handsome, rather inexpensive ($400-600) and a BMW of the pistol world. How good a pistol would this fine looking weapon be? Reliable? Simply easy to take care of good for a beginner? (Ruger Revolvers only so far, can’t make up my mind on a auto-loader)

Yes yes, obviously a stock and 3rd burst would be an option.

I seem to find my self like more and more obsure firearms, is this to be expected?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:01:51 PM EDT
Not much that I can tell you other than I want one for my collection.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:31:51 PM EDT
I have one. Its a neat piece. Comfy, high capacity (with some of the best magazines ever), and its accurate. However, its trigger pull defines shitty. Heavy heavy heavy. I do shoot mine. I think this pistol would last 1 million rounds. Its an overbuilt tank.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:58:37 PM EDT
The trigger sucks, and without the shoulder stock and burst option it basically a Glock, without the good things that make Glock the fourth best pistol in my opinion. After the 1911, USP, Hi-power, in that order.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:28:26 AM EDT
I think its a hunk of crap. Trigger is one of the top ten all time worst for handguns.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:10:46 AM EDT
Simple design, very accurate ( from a secure bench position ).....HORRIFIC TRIGGER PULL....this is the gun that just never seems to ever want to fire....EVER.....the pull goes on and on and on

The sights absolutely suck....one of the stupidest ideas for advanced sights EVER...BUT you can use them if you practice.....

neat gun, if you like obscure stuff, go for it...but be prepared to pay around 80 bucks for a spare mag
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:30:53 PM EDT
It is a gun whose "charms" I have no trouble resisting whatsoever. Come to think of it, I could say that about most of HK's handguns, but I guess that's another thread.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:12:51 PM EDT
I bought one directly from HK back in the early 80's when they were $200 with four mags. Even at that deal, I gladly sold it and haven't regretted it (at least no where near as much as selling those HK94's at $550).

It's very interesting from a design and engineering point of view. The pistol is straight blowback. That's why there's such a huge slide on the damn thing. To keep the pressure down, the rifling was cut extra deep and actually is designed to allow gas to blow by the bullet as it travels down the bore. MV from the VP70Z is lower than other 9mms of the same barrel length because of this.

The heel mag release wasn't the best design either. It was very exposed, and I managed to bump it a couple times while shooting and had the mag drop out of the gun.

The sights are really fascinating! The rear is normal, but the front is actually a slanted block of steel. There's a channel milled in the block, and the two sidewalls are left in the white and polished. The channel appears to be a front sight post, due to the shadow, when you look at it through the rear sight. Also as you look at it the walls on each side take up the rest of the sight picture. So you actually see the exact same sight, with the same contrast, and same look and everything, no matter what the background is. You can't see the background around the front sight blade, because it doesn't have one. Just a block of metal with a channel in it. It's goofy sounding, but it actually worked quite well, and I found it a very interesting way to adress the way to sight a handgun. It didn't matter what you aimed at, all you saw was the shiney, white metal side walls and the shadow of the channel between them, and it was a VERY functional front sight. I'm suprised no one has tried a variation of it.

Anyway, the safety is right where the mag release for a M1911A1 is, so there's some training issues to be considered if you're thinking of carrying it or anything.

There's only like four moving parts to the whole thing, and I really can't see anything stopping the gun from working. It was quite simple. The trigger blew like...well it was really bad. This was one of the first DAOs, so there's some forgiveness for that, and the thing was designed more for use with a shoulder stock anyway. The stock had the burst control on it, and to get it to fire bursts, the stock had to be installed on the VP-70M. Otherwise it was semi-only, without the stock installed. The civillian VP70Z had no fittings for the stock.

For use, I wouldn't recommend one. A VP-70M with a stock, on the other hand might be kinda cool. As a collector piece, the price has steadily risen on the VP-70Z. I think it's a good buy for the collector, or to round out a collection, but not really for someone looking to use it for any serious use. There are simply better guns out there for the same kinda money.

Ross
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:20:39 PM EDT
shooting buddy bought one about a decade back, got to shoot it more than once. Very heavy trigger pull. However, it's somewhat of an exotic and will fulfil the Mininum Daily Requirement of HK Kool Aid.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:22:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 4:23:22 PM EDT by IAMLEGEND]
Isn't Wasn't that also available in 9X21mm?

ETA: I'm sure of it...I handled one back when I lived in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:47:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By IAMLEGEND:

Yes, it was.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:43:27 PM EDT
Any transferables exist in the US?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:35:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CFII:

Originally Posted By IAMLEGEND:

Yes, it was.

IT WAS???????? Wierrrrd!!!!

Such an odd gun....I have a hard time hating it.....it was unique.......
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:09:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 11:10:07 AM EDT by boofus]
I think HK fired the designer of the VP70 and he went to work for Hi-Point
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:23:09 PM EDT
Yes, the gun is very tough. I played aroound with one for a while at the range one day, and the trigger was one of the worst I've ever seen. Franklin's (in Athens, GA) actually sold a handfull of these guns at their cost day sale two yars ago for $200-250 each! I thought about buying one, but couldn't imagine what I would do with it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:02:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 4:02:45 PM EDT by ikor]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:48:05 PM EDT
The Vp-70 is by far the worst pistol I have even handled. While shopping for a 9mm seven years ago (I eventually bought a Glock 17 which i ended up selling) my father asked my uncle if he had anything I could try out. The next day he came to my house with a VP-70 nib which he says he totally forgot about and he doesnt even remeber buying it much less shooting it. A week later I head to the ranch to shoot it, the first thing I noticed was that the magazine was incredibly hard to load I only managed to put 14 in then said to hell with it. Then came the trigger which has been mentioned above, its ungodly. I was in 7th grade are so at the time and I could only manage to pull the trigger four times before my index finger could take no more. I unloaded it put it back in my bag and went back to shooting my Browning Buck-mark. The next day me and my father went to my uncles house to return him his pistol, he asked us how it went we told him the gun really wasnt for us. He then said that he has no real use for it and if we wanted to we could keep it me and my father looked at eatch other and we both agreed we didnt want it even if it was free.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:50:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By boofus:
I think HK fired the designer of the VP70 and he went to work for Hi-Point

now that's funny!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:09:39 PM EDT
If you're looking to collect HKs, pick it up.

If you wanna shoot it, get something else.

I like HKs, but I'd rather put that money into something like a P7 or a P9 -even though a P9 has that damn heel clip release (thanks european designers!)

BTW, that gun was in Aliens, it's the pistol the Lt. uses at the end in the maintenance shaft.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:31:16 PM EDT

us. He then said that he has no real use for it and if we wanted to we could keep it me and my father looked at eatch other and we both agreed we didnt want it even if it was free.

Now that's just retarded!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:55:24 PM EDT

Now that's just retarded!

I had no use for it I would have never shot it ,I would have been tempted to sell it but i wouldnt since it was a gift from my Uncle. So I wanted nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:42:30 AM EDT
YUCK!!!!

Even if it says HK it is still a pos!! The worst trigger I have ever felt!!! Don't worry about having to carry an extra mag, because your finger won't make it through the first!!

Other than that it was a fine pistol at the time, and I like it alot!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:35:23 AM EDT
Wimps. The trigger is not that damn bad. Do some exercises and get ur finger stronger. I still love my VP70Z. Its a piece of history.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:52:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2005 1:52:42 PM EDT by John_Wayne777]
Three words:

Eighteen Pound Trigger.

Nuff said.

Interesting oddity to collect, even fun to pull out and shoot occasionaly.

Miserable defense or carry piece.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:08:27 PM EDT
Could you not get a trigger job????
Top Top