Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/20/2005 1:03:53 PM EDT
I feel the urge to add another 9mm to my safe. I'm thinking about picking up one of those M9's or perhaps a regular 92FS. What is the difference between the 92FS and the M9 commercial besides the roll marks? I heard it has the older straight dustcover. Is the fit and finish the same? What about cost? I can get a 92FS for around $560 at the shop. Since the shop does not have an M9 in stock, he will have to order one from the distributor so I dont know what the price will be until monday afternoon.

If anyone that has the M9 could tell me about it or post some close up pics of it, that would be great! Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:06:37 PM EDT
Rear sight is different then 92FS
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:43:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2005 1:46:35 PM EDT by The_Gooch]

Originally Posted By USMC88-93:
Rear sight is different then 92FS

The 92FS has white 3-dots, what does the M9c have?

ETA: just looked it up. Dot and post.

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:54:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 2:18:51 PM EDT
I have 2 and love them. Some people despise them. Mine have been good to go.

Max
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 2:20:38 PM EDT
Lanyard loop?

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 2:37:17 PM EDT
Give me a Sig!
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 2:43:56 PM EDT
Got one, cuz its my duty weapon.
I have several handguns.
In my SHTF rig, you guessed it 92fs, I have 12 mags and a bunch of the springs.

I like it (Not my fav) and I shoot IDPA with it with no problem. It is a good gun. It also adds to my "military" gun collection.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 2:49:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2005 2:50:35 PM EDT by The_Gooch]

Originally Posted By CRC:
Lanyard loop?

I think most of the 92FS's have loops. The one at the shop had one, as well as the rental at the range. But they were plastic...
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 3:06:09 PM EDT
If you can find a used Centurion model, get it. I bought one used last year for $400 in like new condition. The shorter slide (by 3/4") makes it just right, and it doesn't have that stupid flat backstrap like the Vertec models do. I'm pretty sure Centurions are out of production now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 4:50:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2005 4:51:36 PM EDT by Ross]
The difference is mainly the markings and the sights. As you can see from USMC88-93's pic, you can see the dots that they simply don't paint white. It's actually the same sight on both guns, just different spots painted white. The M9 uses the dotted "i" of the 92F and the current FS uses the three dot. Beretta just makes one sight that can be used for either.

The markings are different, having "M9", drawing numbers, etc on the slide, frame, hammer, and all sorts of other parts. It's neat.

M9's are tested for accuracy at 50M per milspec, and the 92FS is tested at 25M per Beretta spec. I think they work out to be basically the same in the end. There's not really any performance difference, quality difference, etc between the two.

The M9's are out in several batchs. The current batch is just like the others as far as the gun goes.

At my local shop a NIB 92FS is $535, INOX is $550, M9 is $550.

I have a 92FS, a "475" series M9 (called that because of the S/N), and a 92FS compact. There isn't any real difference between the two, but the markings are cool, and I'd pay the extra $15 for the same gun I carried in the Army.

If I were to buy a new one, I'd get another M9 because the price isn't that much different and they're neat. If I wanted a Beretta that worked great for a lot less, I'd buy a used 92FS and save a hundred bucks or so. The nice thing about not having a big price difference is it's not like some big investement that you will end up scared to shoot.

So if you want an M9, the price difference isn't big enough to stop you, and the M9 markings are cool. Get the M9 if that's what you want. If you just want a Beretta, the M9 doesn't really offer anything better perfromance wise. It's like willing to pay a couple bucks extra for a different paint job on the same car.

Either one will serve you fine.

ETA: the M9 does have a straight dust cover, and the current 92 has the slanted one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:56:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ross:
The difference is mainly the markings and the sights.

So if you want an M9, the price difference isn't big enough to stop you, and the M9 markings are cool. Get the M9 if that's what you want. If you just want a Beretta, the M9 doesn't really offer anything better perfromance wise. It's like willing to pay a couple bucks extra for a different paint job on the same car.

Thanks for the response and first hand info. I agree that it would be cool to have the special M9 markings even thought it is really a basic 92FS. The MSRP is the same for the M9 and 92FS, but I expect the M9 to be a little more than the regular 92 and I would be willing to pay a little more for it. If the FFL can find one for me tomorrow I will order it, but if he cant, i'll go with the 92 instead.

Do you think these are actual guns from the M9 production line, or just 92's given the different sight, and markings? Because the dust cover is the straight kind, it would seem it would come from a different forging than the 92, or the milling needed for that would have been skipped, depending on how beretta makes them. It seems like it would be rather costly to make the changes to the 92 forgings on a runnig assembly line, but rather just use the ones from the M9 line that are already made that way. They could still use the same 92 slides and misc parts as they are the same, sans the markings.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:20:09 PM EDT
Here's the 1 of 5000 from about 5 years ago:

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 8:15:53 PM EDT
I went to the FFL today after he called and found out that there is one available. I got it ordered and it only cost me $20 more than a regular 92FS would have. I think it is worth the extra money to get the M9 features. I asked to look at the regular 92FS as well, and I looked at the rear sight. I could see the notch in the middle where they fill with paint instead of the dots. It makes perfect sense to make one rear sight, and only fill in the specific areas needed, depending on what gun it goes on.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 12:20:19 AM EDT
Congrats. I have a stainless 92 and it has been a fantastic pistol. It seems you either love them or hate them. I had a USP 9mm and I would take my 92 over it any day of the week. My 92 is smoother than it was ans is more accurate and just as reliable.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 2:51:13 AM EDT
The civie M9's seem to appear everytime there's a batch made for the government. M9's seem to be available everytime there's a contract. There's been some big ones recently, and it really doesn't cost Beretta any extra to run a batch for civillian sales. My opinion is that they are run with the M9's and a certain number above the contract is planned from the begining for civie sales.

The recent M9A1 appearance also follows this trend, as the USMC ordered several thousand M9A1's earlier this year.

It just seems to make alot more sense to do it that way.

Beretta's been at this gun making business for nearly 500 years, so you have to figure that they have a couple people that know how to work their system to make a profit.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:17:31 AM EDT

The civie M9's seem to appear everytime there's a batch made for the government. M9's seem to be available everytime there's a contract. There's been some big ones recently, and it really doesn't cost Beretta any extra to run a batch for civillian sales. My opinion is that they are run with the M9's and a certain number above the contract is planned from the begining for civie sales.

The recent M9A1 appearance also follows this trend, as the USMC ordered several thousand M9A1's earlier this year.

It just seems to make alot more sense to do it that way.

Beretta's been at this gun making business for nearly 500 years, so you have to figure that they have a couple people that know how to work their system to make a profit.

It's a damn smart business move. It cost them very little to make a few extra M9's due to the economy of scale and sell them to the public. If I owned a gun company and I had a govt contract, I would make a few extras to sell, that is, as long as its not NFA or the .gov contract forbids it.

I hope to see M9's from the CMP some day, but I bet they will be turned into soda cans and razor blades.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 12:22:59 PM EDT
Is Beretta selling any A1s?
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 12:28:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2005 12:36:42 PM EDT by RangemasterP226]
I have a Beretta 92FS Police Special. It has a "PS" on the front side of the slide inside a shield. It came with 3 hi-caps (in the day) and has a special box marked for Police.

Does anyone know if this is from the civilian run or the military run of M9s?

PS..........I know alot of people aren't fans, but I dearly love to shoot my Beretta 92 (Big gun + small bullets = fun)
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 1:42:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CRC:
Is Beretta selling any A1s?

I'm not sure. Davidsons does not have the M9A1 listed on galleryofguns.com yet, only the M9's.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 1:57:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2005 1:58:21 PM EDT by CRC]
Okay

The light rail addition looks useful
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 10:43:43 AM EDT
Is there any difference between the "commercial" M9 and a USGI M9?
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 1:04:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By scottryan:

Just the owner. They're the same exact gun.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 1:55:38 PM EDT
IIRC, there are some marking differences. At least with the M9's that came out 5-7 years ago with teh pistol belt, holster, etc.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 2:39:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By scottryan:

From what I have been reading on the .net, it seems that these are extra pistols from recent military contracts that Beretta is selling to the public. They will have different S/N blocks than the military ones, other than that, the marking are the same and the parts came from the same line. There have been at least 3 distinct batches of these pistols released to the public, and they all have different S/N blocks IIRC.

So I guess you could say these are real M9's and not just a 92FS with different roll marks. Though when you get down to it, thats what military M9's are anyway.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 6:30:38 PM EDT
OK heres the scoop
The original Model 92 SB's were submitted for testing in the early 80's
Based on extensive trials they had Beretta modify a few things like chroming the chamber, reconfiguring the trigger guard and changing the front grip angle. This was then labeled the 92F.

further testing discovered metal fatigue due to low grad raw steel materials. this caused the slides to crack on several test pistols around the 30K rd mark. to fix this, Beretta added a slide retention device and the Pistol was now the 92F/S
it was accepted into the Service as the M-9 Pistol. the only real difference bwtween the Military and civillian 92F/S models are the serial Numbers, the U.S Gov property on the slide and the sights. the Army from some strange reason went with a front dot/rear single dot with a flat spot on top. this Gay configuration was supposedly easier to line up the sights. the design had you line up the front dot on top of the flat spot on the larger rear dot (Ala "Snowman")
All the GI issue Berettas I dealt with had this sight configuration, it is possible that their are some 3 dot sight configuration's out their.

So the bottom line is if you want want the GI's have, get a Beretta 92 F/S and stick with factory Beretta made magazines (the aftermarket Checkmate mags are what is giving the Beretta it's current war time reputation for unreliability) And you will have a very dependable 9MM pistol that has been tested like no other pistol in recent history.

(I did sell my to get a G17, not cause the Pistol sucked, but after I retired, I did not need to practice with the M9 anymore and I wanted a Glock)
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 8:31:25 PM EDT

Of course, the ARFCOM answer is .....get both!!!

Link Posted: 11/25/2005 9:26:07 PM EDT
I went to the FFL today and was able to examine my M9. Obviously, the markings were not the same as the regular 92FS. Dot/post sights. The fit and finish was just as good as the 92. Very nice pistol, good trigger and smooth slide operation. The thing is so beautiful, I almost dont want to shoot it!

It had all of the current plastic parts found on the 92FS. Plastic guide rod, plastic lanyard loop and mag catch. Bruniton coated trigger and I think the safety was too. It came with two 10rd mags. I wonder how many M9's they made in this run as my S/N was in the 6 digits. M9-101911.

Link Posted: 11/26/2005 1:54:03 PM EDT
That serial number kick's ASS! You were destined to have that gun, no doubt about it!

Mine has M9-475XXX because it was one of the "475" run Beretta released for their 475th birthday. I don't know the other prefixes, or if your's has any significance, other than having "1911" in it. Well, it IS the current govt model afterall...

Link Posted: 11/26/2005 2:28:35 PM EDT
IV ONLY SEEN ONE m9 CLOSE UP AND IVE STUDIED MY 92fs there was a finish difference.not the finish but the finishing and polishing processes.the M9 had swerll marks and other maching markes at greater frequency than the FS.Probably just these 2 pistols but it would make sence that m9 goverment guns might not get as lovingly worked as the civilaian gun?
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 2:38:57 PM EDT
Are the M9's available as a regular order item & if so, does anybody know what distributors carry it?
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 3:08:36 PM EDT
Hmm, I'm glad I found this thread!

I have a 475 series M9 as well (didn't know there was an actual series) and I just checked the tag that was in the trigger guard, yep, it's a 1 of 5000...my father has one as well; bought at the same time. (Might even be sequential serials but I doubt it)...

Are these things worth a little more/anything above a new-made M9?

And yes my sights are the same; big block below, small dot on the front.

This was my only 9mm piece and I shoot it a lot...guess I should pick up another 9mm and put this one aside for the future
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 3:18:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Gooch:
I went to the FFL today and was able to examine my M9. Obviously, the markings were not the same as the regular 92FS. Dot/post sights. The fit and finish was just as good as the 92. Very nice pistol, good trigger and smooth slide operation. The thing is so beautiful, I almost dont want to shoot it!

It had all of the current plastic parts found on the 92FS. Plastic guide rod, plastic lanyard loop and mag catch. Bruniton coated trigger and I think the safety was too. It came with two 10rd mags. I wonder how many M9's they made in this run as my S/N was in the 6 digits. M9-101911.

I had no idea that Beretta started using plastic guide rods. When did they start doing that? I bought a 92fs three years ago (nib) and it had a metal guide rod.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 3:21:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lu380:

Originally Posted By The_Gooch:

I had no idea that Beretta started using plastic guide rods. When did they start doing that? I bought a 92fs three years ago (nib) and it had a metal guide rod.

The M9 I mention above that I have, came with a plastic guide rod...was the first thing I swapped out. I'm sure it works just fine, it's not exactily a high-wear item...I don't remember when it was purchased, but it's gotta be a good 5 years old now or so...

It wouldn't surprise me if the civvie 92FS's came with steel rods and the M9's came with plastic rods, to cut costs with no effect to reliablity and accuracy...
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 3:30:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By scooper:
IV ONLY SEEN ONE m9 CLOSE UP AND IVE STUDIED MY 92fs there was a finish difference.not the finish but the finishing and polishing processes.the M9 had swerll marks and other maching markes at greater frequency than the FS.Probably just these 2 pistols but it would make sence that m9 goverment guns might not get as lovingly worked as the civilaian gun?

I had it side by side with a regular 92FS and the metal finish was exactly the same. My M9 has no visible machine marks, it is nice and smooth like the 92. Both pistols had plastic guide rods, as all other new 92FS's I have seen.

Originally Posted By VLODPG:

Are the M9's available as a regular order item & if so, does anybody know what distributors carry it?

Yes, they are listed at galleryofguns.com, which is the website for the big distributor, Davidsons. Any FFL should be able to call them up and order one. That is where mine came from.

Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

I have a 475 series M9 as well (didn't know there was an actual series) and I just checked the tag that was in the trigger guard, yep, it's a 1 of 5000...my father has one as well; bought at the same time. (Might even be sequential serials but I doubt it)...

Are these things worth a little more/anything above a new-made M9?

I think they are, as they were one of the first runs and probably had a smaller quantity made. The current M9's are only worth a few more dollars than a basic 92FS, and both actually have the same MSRP. Yours might be a little more collectible.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 9:34:32 AM EDT

That serial number kick's ASS! You were destined to have that gun, no doubt about it!

Mine has M9-475XXX because it was one of the "475" run Beretta released for their 475th birthday. I don't know the other prefixes, or if your's has any significance, other than having "1911" in it. Well, it IS the current govt model afterall...

Even better- 101 (as in 101st) and 911.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:18:57 AM EDT
i have heard nothing but good things about this guy. and you can pic up a Beretta 92 for 330 to 365 damn good price.

www.summitgunbroker.com/1048206.html
Top Top