Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 6:17:59 PM EDT
Does anyone here have links to in-depth ballistics links, which also include wound-profiles for various rounds? I'm tired of reading armchair commandos with little to no experiance exclaiming "no this round is better!" and would like to see the actual information for myself.

Thank you.

- Mike

ps: I probably just offended half of the forums, but I really see nothing other than opinions currently. It is(was) not my intention to offend you, if you were... I'm just tired of FUD and sales pitches thrown out by ammo manufacturers, as well as pure opinion posts.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Does anyone here have links to in-depth ballistics links, which also include wound-profiles for various rounds? I'm tired of reading armchair commandos with little to no experiance exclaiming "no this round is better!" and would like to see the actual information for myself.

Thank you.

- Mike

ps: I probably just offended half of the forums, but I really see nothing other than opinions currently. It is(was) not my intention to offend you, if you were... I'm just tired of FUD and sales pitches thrown out by ammo manufacturers, as well as pure opinion posts.

I know I come off as a shill for Federal.  ::shrug::

I get a chance that few other people have. To shoot everyone's ammo through just about every gun made.

I have the chance to run ammo through industry standard equipment. (can you believe I get paid to do this stuff?)

If you read my ammo posts in the AR-15 ammo forum, I think you will find that the Federal sample did not do as well as some.
In handgun ammo I personally don't believe that any round is the equal to the Federal HST round.
I feel so strongly on this point that every member of my family, and my friends use this as carry ammo. I sleep well.

You are welcome to invest in a pressure and velocity alley as well as an accuracy alley and publish your own results.

Have a nice day!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.

- Mike

I know I come off as a shill for Federal.  ::shrug::

I get a chance that few other people have. To shoot everyone's ammo through just about every gun made.

I have the chance to run ammo through industry standard equipment. (can you believe I get paid to do this stuff?)

If you read my ammo posts in the AR-15 ammo forum, I think you will find that the Federal sample did not do as well as some.
In handgun ammo I personally don't believe that any round is the equal to the Federal HST round.
I feel so strongly on this point that every member of my family, and my friends use this as carry ammo. I sleep well.

You are welcome to invest in a pressure and velocity alley as well as an accuracy alley and publish your own results.

Have a nice day!hr
Again, thats an opinion with no hard numbers. What I'm looking for is the same information you had, so I can form my own opinion. Surely if Federal HST is so much better than every other brand, there are documents that show this out there. Specifically I'm looking for handgun round comparisons.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Again, thats an opinion with no hard numbers. What I'm looking for is the same information you had, so I can form my own opinion. Surely if Federal HST is so much better than every other brand, there are documents that show this out there. Specifically I'm looking for handgun round comparisons.

Ummm... do your homework.

There are photographs, data sets, graphs and the occasional BOTD.
A  lot of what you are looking for is here.

It sounds like you want a private lab to spoon feed you. (as you discount information from the manufacturer)

Good luck with all that.

Seriously, spend the money on a chronograph, some ballistic geletan, and pay a private lab for chamber pressures.(The equipment is horrendously expensive, so I don't suggest you buy it your self.)

You could always supply me with 300 rounds of the particular round you want tested, pay $90.00 per block of gelatin (7 needed), pay for the sheet metal, wall board, auto glass, plywood, fabric, (both denim and broadcloth), and Kevlar.(in round numbers  about $450.00) then pay me  $120.00/hr for nine hours.

For this sum you will recieve a full FBI protocal test of the sample provided.
Accuracy at 50 yards
Chamber Pressure
Velocity
Penetration through all barriers.
Expended upsets for all phases.
Function results through (10 rounds each ) two hand guns of your choice.

This is the information you want.

All that horseshit aside, I'm trying to show you that some of this information is out there. Some is extrapolated opinion by people that don't need to spend that kind of money to have an "opinion"
And a full breakdown is damned expernsive and not many will give it away.

In reality I will not perform this test for anyone. I work for Federal and I have it made. I won't abuse my employer. If you actually wish to purchase such a test I will give you all the contact information. but expect it to be more expensive than I quoted)

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]
For starters, click on the AR-15 tab.. then on the Ammunition tab and then look at the tacked threads...

The info is out there if you want to look for it... but no one is going to spoon feed it to you.

ETA: The differnces between brands of hangun ammo shooting their best projectiles are minor... just pick one that works in your guns and buy a case or two.

I like Rangers and Gold Dots... the next guy might like Goldens Sabers and HST... the point is, they are all designed to beat the FBI and IWBA test protocols, and should offer similar performance in bad guys.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to Tactical Forums: Terminal Effects Forum and do a SEARCH. Just about anything you need in regards to terminal ballistics information can be found there. But SEARCH before asking questions.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Go to Tactical Forums: Terminal Effects Forum and do a SEARCH. Just about anything you need in regards to terminal ballistics information can be found there. But SEARCH before asking questions.

My favorite bookmarked link there:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top