Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2008 10:22:07 AM EDT
I'm thinking about picking one up for bear protection.  It's SS and has the 6" barrel.  I'll probably be carrying it in a chest rig.  Anyone have one?  Any info you have would be great!
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a Ruger Super Redhawk.

Seriously, it's a far tougher revolver that'll stand up to a whole lot more shooting in the same price range.

Link Posted: 12/18/2008 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy a Ruger
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Buy a Ruger

+1, I haven't really hurd anything bad about the Raging Bull but I'm quite happy with my SRH. I've loaded and shot rounds through that thing that would make Chuck Norris pee his pants. Plus it has six shots instead of 5.

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:00:40 AM EDT
[#5]
My friend has one that he takes when we elk hunt.  It developed serious timing issues, to the point that the hammer would not cock unless you screwed with the cylinder.  That reason, plus my input is why he now owns a Freedom Arms.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about picking one up for bear protection.  It's SS and has the 6" barrel.  I'll probably be carrying it in a chest rig.  Anyone have one?  Any info you have would be great!

I have a saying. " Friends don't let friends buy Taurus".
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Even the Ford Taurus was a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one and was exposed to a bunch of them. If you shoot a lot and load at 60K plus chamber pressures it will fail and do so rather quickly. The 454 is one of the most intense (if not the most intense) of the Revolver chamberings and it is very hard on guns and shooters due to the pressures when it is loaded on top. I destroyed my RB in less than 200 rounds and sent it in (back to Taurus) for some rehab, after getting it back it made 18 rounds that time and went back again, when it came back factory fresh it found a new home.
I have owned all of the guns chambered for the 454 Casull (some twice) and think it is best to tone it down a bit in the D/A Revolvers as the 454 Casull is very hard on guns. I liked the SRH and felt it would hold up well with a 335 cast just under 1500 fps at this level recoil was stout but very manageable and the power level is good. I still use a F/A Model 83 chambered for the 454 Casull quite a bit but in all honesty I prefer the 475 Linebaugh as it offers more power, more bullet weight, more frontal area at much lower pressures and it is not near as hard on the shooter.
Where are you located ? You can shoot mine if your close.
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the Ruger SRH.  Just do it, you'll thank us.
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Go for the smith 460!  It shoots your 454 cassulls, and .45 long colts too.

Or get the Ruger.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I'm thinking about the 460.  A guy here in Kodiak has one and is egging me on to get one too.  

I went and looked at the gun that was for sale and it looked like he dragged it behind his truck everyday.  The teeth on the cylinder were damaged, the front sight was tore up, and the whole thing was covered in scratches.  The idiot said he wouldn't take less than $500 when I offered $300.  I really wouldn't even want to own that gun  I have some ugly beat up guns, but I'm going to spend $500 on one either!!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Well since you mention you are in Kodiak pick up a 480 SRH and be done with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top