Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 7:34:08 PM EDT
Anyone happen to have an inside track on this thing's release date?  The Taurus website says 4th Qtr.  When does that end exactly?  March '06?

Also, what is everyone opinion of it, based off the info that's out there?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#2]
interesting you should say lacking, as one of it's pistols beat out all comers for the NRA PotY.  What would be your reasons for this?  Taste, bad experience?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with SGB.  In my experience with several Taurus offerings, the Lifetime Warranty was the best feature of the pistol.  My 92 went back 3 times, my 85CH went back once and came back worse (failure to ignite due to light primer strikes), and my PT22, well I shot the slide rails OFF the rear of the frame in less than 500 rounds.  You could actually lift the rear of the slide off the frame!  It went back and never came back!  So in my non-expert opinion, this one will be no better.

suit on
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#5]
My household had 2: a PT-22 that was garbage and a 2" .357  (nonport) that was reasonably accurate, but had a terrible trigger pull.

I would NEVER waste my money on a bargain basement 1911, but you are reading the post of a true fan of such weapons, who is OK spending $1,000 +++  (that I don't have to spend) on one. The difference is worth everything.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:18:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
interesting you should say lacking, as one of it's pistols beat out all comers for the NRA PotY.  What would be your reasons for this?  Taste, bad experience?

And you've never noticed the correlation of how many ads Taurus pays for in the NRA mags, and all the rave reviews of Taurus products?  I handled and shot Taurus products in the past, and was never really impressed (however, I've heard good things about the Lightning).
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks for all the information guys.  I haven't had much experience at all with Taurus semi's, so your experiences will help me make a decision on the pistol.  While I am on a budget, I could just as easily save an extra month or 3 and get a base model Kimber from my local shop.

again, thanks for the information and the quick replies.

Paulie
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#9]
If you are looking for a 1911, look at the Smith and Wesson before you buy.  I got mine for $659 and I absolutly love it.  No problems so far...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#10]
well, I ended up getting a Springfield operator w/ nights and the armor kote for 900.  Thought it was a decent deal.  What do you all think?

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:30:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't know....guess its a crapshoot, but my old PT92 ran like a champ, and I fed it old LRN 9mm surplus/reload stuff.

Sold it for $250.........I bought it, as it was cheaper than a Beretta, and I wanted the same gun Mel Gibson had.....

Hopefully, they can get it right.......1911's been around a while, and I think it would take some real knuckleheads, to screw that up.

Plus, the frame is made in Brazil........and they have an awesome arms industry, and make pistols for Springfield Armory too.

So....it may not be too bad, and a good bargain basement platform.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#13]
my only complaint is the thick trigger guard.its too thick and square looking .
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't know....guess its a crapshoot, but my old PT92 ran like a champ, and I fed it old LRN 9mm surplus/reload stuff.

Sold it for $250.........I bought it, as it was cheaper than a Beretta, and I wanted the same gun Mel Gibson had.....

Hopefully, they can get it right.......1911's been around a while, and I think it would take some real knuckleheads, to screw that up.

Plus, the frame is made in Brazil........and they have an awesome arms industry, and make pistols for Springfield Armory too.

So....it may not be too bad, and a good bargain basement platform.  

Problem is, the 1911 design does not lend itself well to low price points unless one cuts corners. Even Taurus admitted that the gun is chock full O" MIM parts. About everything but the BBL, frame and slide is MIM. Now, they might do a great job, but unless they actually build them, not slap parts together and hope they will work, I will reserve judgement. It's not like they have a "name" recognition with the 1911 design and It seem as if they are going to try for the "bling" factor [fancy looking] to create sales.

Taurus does have some good designs, I have a PT99 with a bunch of rounds down the pipe and it's been a very good gunwith no problems.  I don't rate their revolver anywhere near Colt or S&W, but I like both of those makers 30-50 year old guns much better then anything they currently sell.

www.shootingusa.com/SIGHTING_IN/13_SHOT_SHOW/SI-13-24L.jpg

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:46:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm optimistic, only because I have owned many Taurus guns and have been 100% happy with all of them, especially given the price point.

My carry gun is a PT111 Pro that has been tremendously reliable and accurate.

I'd take the chance, based on the price...and my history with Taurus guns of late.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top