Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/19/2003 11:14:02 AM EDT
Are these anywhere near as good as the Berreta 92, or do they suck?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 11:27:34 AM EDT
Many post that they prefer the Taurus due to it's frame mounted safety. I've shot Taurus 92's and find no fault with them. For the Money It's a best Buy IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 11:37:51 AM EDT
All things considered, the Taurus is a decent little gun. I would really like to see an accuracy test between them & Beretta sometime.

OTOH, the Beretta does hold more of it's value on the used market. Personally, I prefer the slide safety versus the Taurus frame mount.

I own a Beretta 92FS & my cousin owns a Taurus PT-101, we both like what we got.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:04:51 PM EDT
I know someone who has one. I've tried it out.

Double action is pretty nice. But as with most double actions, the single action (cocked position) takes a little getting used to.

Overall, the frames are virtually Identical. For some reason they do list the beretta and taurus differently when you look for aftermarket grips. I've never heard of anyone trying to fit Beretta grips on a taurus, I'd be interested to find out. Those hogue grips on the inox Beretta are pretty sweet.

I would be VERY interested in a shootout between the two guns indeed.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:30:06 PM EDT
I liked all the ones that passed through my hands...a little action work needed maybe.
I never heard of the Beretta's slide failure problem with 'em...or locking block...or trigger return spring.
A lifetime warranty? Not from Beretta.
True, as said, resale value isn't there...so you can get a good used one cheap.
If you can live with "Taurus" stamped on the slide, instead of "Beretta", there will be a lot of ammo money left over too.
After saying all that, I have no Taurus at this time, but do have a Beretta 92SF.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:47:12 AM EDT
I've seen the locking block on the Taurus break as often as on the Beretta (which is not very often, but I have seen it on both). The Taurus lifetime warranty resulted in a fixed gun, no cost, there and back within ten days. Pretty good warranty service.

The frame mounted safety allows "cocked and locked" on the Taurus, while still allowing hammer drop (push the safety the other way). The Beretta slide mounted safety is different obviously, but works better for many folks.

They are good guns. If you're looking for something to shoot the crap out of, then the Taurus is a good buy. It's cheaper, has a no BS warranty, and works great. The Beretta will hold it's value more.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:09:30 AM EDT
I have had a Taurus 92AF for about 6 0r 7 years now, and can easily say that it was THE best gun buy I have ever made.

Now two things need to be said here: 1.I do not now nor have I ever carried it as a CCW, and
2.I do not practice speed drills with it.

But, I paid $200 for a used(not really, it was sold and returned by the original owner), with 3 hi-cap mags. In almost 10,000 rounds I have NEVER had a malfunction of any kind that was gun related (I had a stovepipe that was mag related).

I have literaly shot the barrel out! It is now shooting so far left(about 5 inches), that I have moved the rear sight to adjust for it until I get a new barrel. There is basically no rifling left in the barrel. But when I moved the sight over, it came right back on target round after round. The weapon is extremely accurate!

I use it as my range toy, and will not part with it for any price. Cheap, accurate, smooth trigger, reliable, what more could one ask from a weapon?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:27:16 AM EDT
Add to all that it has a lifetime warranty and factory mags are cheap and plentiful. Good gun for the money.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:28:29 PM EDT
You shouldn't be able to shoot a barrel out in 10,000 rounds. Handguns round are much lower pressure and consume much less powder meaning barrels last a long long time. Perhaps the locking surfaces are worn...
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:18:15 AM EDT
I've got a friend who owns an early stainless PT92 and it jams about 3 times per mag full. Granted it was very reliable for some time, then it started having feeding problems. We have tried different mags in it to no avail. The round seems to nose over during feeding and gets stuck with a bullet down angle against the feed ramp. Releasing the tension on the slide by pulling it back a bit and letting it go forward on it's own power is all that's needed to make it go into battery. What's he need to do, have the ramp polished a bit? Is it crappy mags? Both?

Thanks,

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:20:15 AM EDT
Let's assume the magazine springs were assembled correctly, CH, and they have not weakened through the years.
Also that the recoil spring has been changed out for a fresh one (that makes the slide snappier)as a lot of autos won't feed in slo-motion.(you won't see it}
Something that was once good is no longer, my guess would be mag springs and/or recoil spring.
Probably time for a change anyway and not too pricey. See if that works.
www.gunsprings.com
It's also a toll free call away.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:59:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
I've got a friend who owns an early stainless PT92 and it jams about 3 times per mag full. Granted it was very reliable for some time, then it started having feeding problems. We have tried different mags in it to no avail. The round seems to nose over during feeding and gets stuck with a bullet down angle against the feed ramp. Releasing the tension on the slide by pulling it back a bit and letting it go forward on it's own power is all that's needed to make it go into battery. What's he need to do, have the ramp polished a bit? Is it crappy mags? Both?

Thanks,

-Charging Handle

Aside from trying some different ammo, THE BEST THING to do with a Taurus that doesn't work right is send it to Taurus. The lifetime warranty is no B.S. They are VERY fast and getting your gun to them and back is simple. They return it directly to you, as it's a repair to a gun you already own, so they don't have to go through a FFL, etc. You just send it to them, they fix it, and they send it back. This is for the life of the gun, no matter what.

Obivously if you blow it up trying out some idiotic experimental handload, you may have trouble getting them to fix it, but they pretty much just fix whatever comes in and don't ask too many questions. They also do it fast.

I usually don't care too much about warranty service, but I'd buy a Taurus in a heartbeat because of the warranty they have.

Ross
Top Top