Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 8:18:33 AM EDT
On Monday of this week I picked up a Kimber Desert Warrior(KDW).  I really like it.  Accurate, fun to shoot etc.  I did notice a little problem.  The main spring housing by the lanyard loop has a greater bevel than the frame on either side of it.  This results in the frame sticking out past it and pocking into my palm.  It was not noticable until I had handled the KDW for a period of time.  I was practicing,tap-rack-bang drills, relaods, dry firing etc.  It really began to get annoying.  Hmmm.....

I called Kimber.  First let me say that everyone was great.  They put me right though to Dennis(cusotm shop).  I spoke to him. When I explained the problem we discussed it.  He said no problem,send it back.  Ok cool.  We also talked about me doing the work,couple of minutes with a file,emory cloth and done.  The problem is there is no way short of a refinish to match the KDW color.  I did tell him that I thought a gun that was advertised as having a "service melt treatment"should not have left there like this.  He said" the KDW isn't melted"  Huh!  I told him the website says that, again he said "nope". He did go and check the site, sure enough it was there.  He said the site is wrong and he would talk to some one about having it fixed.  

I'm a bit pissed about this.  One reason that I the KDW over the standard warrior was this melt  job.  The local shop didn't have a any other railed Kimbers to compare to so I was comparing apples and oranges.  I did not want to order one.  I kinda figured the melt was on the frame. So now I have a $1100 handgun that needs bit of work, that doesn't have what it was advertised to have and will have to go back to the factory for several weeks to be what I paid for.  

To have to send a new gun back to the factory right away is like getting married and them going on the honeymoon w/o a wife.  What's the point?  Any way this is what happened,anybody else have this issue with there Warrior?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
On Monday of this week I picked up a Kimber Desert Warrior(KDW).  I really like it.  Accurate, fun to shoot etc.  I did notice a little problem.  The main spring housing by the lanyard loop has a greater bevel than the frame on either side of it.  This results in the frame sticking out past it and pocking into my palm.  It was not noticable until I had handled the KDW for a period of time.  I was practicing,tap-rack-bang drills, relaods, dry firing etc.  It really began to get annoying.  Hmmm.....

I called Kimber.  First let me say that everyone was great.  They put me right though to Dennis(cusotm shop).  I spoke to him. When I explained the problem we discussed it.  He said no problem,send it back.  Ok cool.  We also talked about me doing the work,couple of minutes with a file,emory cloth and done.  The problem is there is no way short of a refinish to match the KDW color.  I did tell him that I thought a gun that was advertised as having a "service melt treatment"should not have left there like this.  He said" the KDW isn't melted"  Huh!  I told him the website says that, again he said "nope". He did go and check the site, sure enough it was there.  He said the site is wrong and he would talk to some one about having it fixed.  

I'm a bit pissed about this.  One reason that I the KDW over the standard warrior was this melt  job.  The local shop didn't have a any other railed Kimbers to compare to so I was comparing apples and oranges.  I did not want to order one.  I kinda figured the melt was on the frame. So now I have a $1100 handgun that needs bit of work, that doesn't have what it was advertised to have and will have to go back to the factory for several weeks to be what I paid for.  

To have to send a new gun back to the factory right away is like getting married and them going on the honeymoon w/o a wife.  What's the point?  Any way this is what happened,anybody else have this issue with there Warrior?

Copy of web page and a letter from a lawyer. Should fix it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I know they will fix the fit issue.  I just found it interesting that the web site claimed something that never was planned.   Dennis basically said some one got creative with the description.  Still a great handgun.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I know the will fix the fit issue.  I just found it interesting that the web site claimed something that never was planned.   Dennis basically said some one got creative with the description.  Still a great handgun.

Dennis seems to not know much about his company's guns.  He told a person from the Kimber forums that the Desert Warrior was not available with the solid black trigger.  Of course, it is.

The desert warrior also has a service melt.  I own one, I can see it.  It is not as aggressive as my CDP, but it is there.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Dennis seems to not know much about his company's guns.  He told a person from the Kimber forums that the Desert Warrior was not available with the solid black trigger.  Of course, it is.

The desert warrior also has a service melt.  I own one, I can see it.  It is not as aggressive as my CDP, but it is there.  

Really?  Do you have standard warrior to compare it to?  Any others Kimbers to compare the slides on?   How was the fit around the main spring housing and frame?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:27:33 AM EDT
[#5]
My standard Warrior (black) has the same issue, main spring housing has a greater bevel than the frame. It does tend to irritate the heel of my hand with long stints of handling/firing. I'm not a big fan of lanyard loops anyway and plan on replacing the main spring housing with a S.A. mag well at the begining of the year (after I recover financialy from Chri$tmas). This has been the only problem I have identified with this particular Kimber (except the ugly grip color, which I took care of, and no checkering on the front strap, which I also took care of on the cheap with that little Wilson thingy  and I absolutely LOVE it.
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7536/10005227jg.jpg
Don't know if you can see it from this photo?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  Do you have standard warrior to compare it to?  Any others Kimbers to compare the slides on?   How was the fit around the main spring housing and frame?

I am an instructor at a Gun Range and we are a Kimber Master Dealer. I own a CDP.  The Warrior is not as rounded as the CDP, but more so than a ...TLE, for example.  

My MSH area is fine.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top