Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 2:46:43 PM EDT
Not at the SHOT Show , in my office about some issues related to my agency etc.... and towards the end of our meeting I decided to fish for some info for the fellas here.

I asked him about the carbine issue and he did confirm that the carbine project does exist , while he could not and would not go into alot of detail he told me in a round about way that they are working on a .223 carbine and have not been able to get it "just right" They are very interested in the military potential for such a carbine to which I reminded him that it would also have a huge success commercially as Glock has one of the biggest following in the firearms community.

I also told him many people would also like a pistol caliber carbine to go with their glock pistols and many of the magazines people have for them. He agrred their was potential there.

The other thing I got from him was they have a very real interest in the upcoming military 45 pistol contract and got the impression that they may have put the carbine in the back burner to concentrate on coming out with a pistol to the military trials.

I cant guarantee anything 100% but I have known him for 4 years and can tell you for a fact that he is high on the food chain in Glock , not just a rep. In fact I will say that he speaks with a very distinctive accent.

Nuff said.....
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Good intel, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, how I wish they would fully develop that .223 carbine...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Man, I wish they would just throw us a bone once and awhile.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Glock in the JCP trials?

That would require Glock to make a pistol that's SA/DA and has an external safety.

As for the carbine, Glock's going to be to late for the commercial market. Three years from now will not be the time to release a new carbine, unless it's undoubtedly better than anything else available in nearly every aspect.

I'm sure Glock has plans for a carbine, but I won't hold my breath even ten years from now.

I would love to see a DA/SA Glock with an external safety though, so I really hope that's true.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I talked with one of the GLOCK guys out at the SHOT show and he mentioned the military .45 contract.  He went on the say that there may be a category for a .45 without an external safety.  He didn't mention if they were going to try to produce something new or try to get a contract with one of their existing .45 platforms.  I know nothing of the military requirements for their pistols so I don't know if this guy knew what he was talking about or not.  Just thought I'd mention it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The solicitation calls for 600,000 in SA/DA with an external safety, and 45,000 in DA with no external safety. The contract will only be given to one company.

If Glock did make the changes needed to compete, it could get interesting.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
they are working on a .223 carbine and have not been able to get it "just right" ...

Maybe a fully supported chamber?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I love anything made by Glock.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#10]
+1
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#11]
There are already existing kits for adding manual safeties to the Glock; dont see why Glock cant do one of their own in short order.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:49:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I talked with one of the GLOCK guys out at the SHOT show and he mentioned the military .45 contract. He went on the say that there may be a category for a .45 without an external safety.  He didn't mention if they were going to try to produce something new or try to get a contract with one of their existing .45 platforms.  I know nothing of the military requirements for their pistols so I don't know if this guy knew what he was talking about or not.  Just thought I'd mention it.

Yep my friend mentioned that the specs put out were not written in stone and it was basically a heads up to the community that they would be in the market for this type pistol.

I did ask him specifically how they would deal with the DA/SA and adjustable grips , he said thay were working on it... thats all I could get

By the way not that it necessarily means anything but the DOD notice had no mention of double strike capability......
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:28:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Man, I wish they would just throw us a bone once and awhile.

I think they just did based on what ColtM4 just told us.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:54:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There are already existing kits for adding manual safeties to the Glock; dont see why Glock cant do one of their own in short order.

They will I spoke to my dealer when I was first looking at the Glock line of pistols and wasn't
comfortable with the no external safety and he told me that yes he could specially order one in that configuration but I bought the 23 there on the spot instead.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
you guys need to pay attention to the forum more often. I confirmed with Glock on their long gun project months ago and made note of that in here. Old news.

J

Everyone has known about the carbine for a while now.  The issue was why it wasn't at SHOT, which ColtM4 answered, and to clarify th JSP entry rumors.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I have heard that the specs for the new pistol were written around the gun that they want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top