Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2003 7:00:38 AM EDT
I just saw one of these in the gun shop and I think I'm in love.  They're a 1911 style compact carry pistol (commander length, I think maybe a bit shorter), but they have a "double action only" trigger system and it is SWEET.  The trigger pull was short, and very light.  I liked it a lot.  In particular, I like the fact that you could carry it with a round chambered and the safety off without having to worry.  Its still got the grip safety, of course, and the bobbed hammer is "blocked" from impinging upon the firing pin except when the trigger is pulled.

The fit and finish looked to be top notch, and the gun felt GREAT in my hand.  The one "eyebrow raiser"  was that the design does away with a portion of the right slide rail in order to have somewhere to put the double action trigger link.  On an aluminum frame, this might bother me, but on a stainless frame there seems to be more than enough rail remaining to be sturdy and durable.

It was priced at $750, which is a bit steep; but I think I want one.

Can someone with experience on these tell me anything more about these, particularly how they are in terms of accuracy, etc?

Photo:  
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I've shot its full size brothern, it's ok, nothing spectacular.

I would think the small sized one would be much more interesting. Para's hold their resale fairly well should you not like it.

Isn't the small one a single stack as well?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Ayup.   Its a single stack mag.  The "CCW" model uses regular 7 shot single stack 1911 mags.  They make an "even smaller" model with a 3" bbl and the short grip section, but I have large hands and can't shoot em.

I've deposited $150 into my "gun fund" this week, so enough skipped lunches and I'll soon have this sucker.  

Like I said, I really liked the trigger.  I'm normally not a fan of double action only, but this was VERY light and crisp.   The guy at the gun shop showed me a cool trick.  As I held the gun in firing position, he ballanced a penny on the front sight.  Then he had me pull the trigger.  It was very easy to do so without letting the penny fall off.  I'd say that's pretty smooth!

Regards, Gonz.

Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]
About three weeks ago, I purchased a Tac Four, which is a 4.25" .45 ACP with the LDA trigger system.  I love it!  The trigger pull is fantastic!  I was shooting very good with the first magazine.  The Tac Four comes with 2, 13 round magazines.  A friend of mine who is a police officer tried my Tac-Four and has purchased a full sized Para with the LDA as his duty side arm.  He also just ordered a Tac-Four to carry off duty.  His old side arm was a Sig .45 and his off duty gun was a Glock 36.  He has let other guys on the force shoot his Para and some of them are also going to buy an LDA .45  I think you will love your new Para.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Gentlemen why not go to a real 1911.  You are not getting and advantage with the LDA.  You are however losing its best atribute, the single action trigger.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't have the CCW but I did purchase the Companion Carry Option model about 2 months ago.  The Companion Carry Option has a 3.5" barrel + night sights vs. the 4.25" barrel of the CCW.  If you think you fell in love at the shop, wait until you get it to the range.  The LDA trigger system is extremely smooth and I have put about 500 rounds through mine in 2 months without any problems.  This baby has quickly become my favorite handgun in the arsenal and is getting carried almost daily.  The price may seem high but you will get your money's worth in quality and accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a C7 LDA, and I love it.  It is my personal favorite for practical shooting and CHL.  Its trigger is as sweet as they come- on a factory pistol.  Unlike any other 1911 pistols it doesn't freak out its owner or others with the cocked and locked look.  Personally I prefer single action triggers for target shooting, but I can't fault the LDA for its trigger.  It is more accurate than either of the two kimbers I've owned.  The only reason I carry my Kimber Ultra Carry is the allow frame's lighter weight.  If I were to do it over again, I'd buy a Para LDA in the Tac Four configuration, or another Para LDA in .40 or 9mm.  Tomorrow I plan to look for these variations at a Fort Worth gun show.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2003 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Eventually, i'll own one of the LDA variants.

I prefer a DA trigger, hence I shoot mostly revolvers.

I don't think that SA triggers are all thier cracked up to be...I for one can't shoot them worth a damn. I need a few lbs of smooth pullin' before the shot breaks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Eventually, i'll own one of the LDA variants.

I prefer a DA trigger, hence I shoot mostly revolvers.

I don't think that SA triggers are all thier cracked up to be...I for one can't shoot them worth a damn. I need a few lbs of smooth pullin' before the shot breaks.

Aperently you've had the wrong kind of training.  Someone may beable to out shoot me with a DA trigger, however there is no one that can shoot a DA trigger as fast as THEY can shoot a SA trigger.  A DA trigger on a semi-auto is a feel good, nothing more nothing, nothing less.  It offers absalutly no advantage.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#9]
No flame intended, but I've heard lots of folks say the same thing as your saying...those are usually the folks that drop alot of shots.

Mabey your not one of them, but folks that shoot fast with light SA triggers usually drop alot of shots into the C and D zones.

IMO, its not how fast you shoot, but where the rounds end up.
I'm not a "rat a tat tat" shooter, but they all go in the "A" zone...and they go into it fast enough to earn me an IPSC "C" card.

Its all personal preference, but I do better with a DA trigger. I've had adequate training on SA 1911 pistols, I just do better with DA pulls.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Gentlemen why not go to a real 1911.  You are not getting and advantage with the LDA.  You are however losing its best atribute, the single action trigger.

Link Posted: 7/19/2003 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No flame intended, but I've heard lots of folks say the same thing as your saying...those are usually the folks that drop alot of shots.

Mabey your not one of them, but folks that shoot fast with light SA triggers usually drop alot of shots into the C and D zones.

IMO, its not how fast you shoot, but where the rounds end up.
I'm not a "rat a tat tat" shooter, but they all go in the "A" zone...and they go into it fast enough to earn me an IPSC "C" card.

Its all personal preference, but I do better with a DA trigger. I've had adequate training on SA 1911 pistols, I just do better with DA pulls.

Fair enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top